Jonny 87

Any other guys in Scotland fed up with the wind?
« on: February 01, 2016, 06:41:00 am »
Just seems to be hitting us all the time.

I'm a big advocate of working through as much bad weather as possible, but last week we had two days of 60mph plus winds, and today is to be the same.

It's 6:30 am and I'm sat here all ready to go but I've decided to sack it till tomorrow. It's supposed to get better by 6am Tuesday morning.

I think last January was the same. If this becomes the norm I'll be doing a Gary999 and taking a month off in January.

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Clever Forum Name

Re: Any other guys in Scotland fed up with the wind?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 07:06:30 am »
It's been  windy in most places in the Uk.

Scotland has been worse though.

Could you not move ?  ;D

dazmond

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 07:11:27 am »
i feel sorry for you boys in scotland.9 times out of 10 your weather is a lot worse than the north west manchester region by a mile.

throw in the licenses you need for the different areas and a lot of scottish window cleaning prices being  lower than other parts of the country and you have a recipe for disaster.

i dont know how you guys make it pay.even the most positive window cleaners must get down at times.
price higher/work harder!

simon w

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 07:35:04 am »
Just seems to be hitting us all the time.

I'm a big advocate of working through as much bad weather as possible, but last week we had two days of 60mph plus winds, and today is to be the same.

It's 6:30 am and I'm sat here all ready to go but I've decided to sack it till tomorrow. It's supposed to get better by 6am Tuesday morning.

I think last January was the same. If this becomes the norm I'll be doing a Gary999 and taking a month off in January.

Hi Jonny

Think I'd spend my time canvasing internal work that could get you through future bad weather. Always wise to have a handful of internal jobs  due each month that you can crack on with when suffering adverse weather. Internal care homes, factories, offices ETC. I've got a shed load due now down here in Bristol if we were suffering the same weather as yourselves that's what we'd be doing.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 07:41:17 am »
Talk to SeanK. He manages to work 9 days a year and works for him ok  ;D

SeanK

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 07:54:22 am »
Get a grip there's no way I would be in this business if it meant working 9 days a year.

SeanK

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 08:06:53 am »
I'm at this game 8 years and this has been the worst winter yet, its just been one storm after another from November.
The thing is I'm not too bad as I'm mortgage and debt free and have an income from other things but I honestly don't know how anybody starting out in life could make a living in this game especially if your not in one of the millionaire weather free zones.

matthewprice

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 08:07:35 am »
It's been that bad up here for so long .and unfortunately I live in a smaiiish island with not that much opertunity for inside work .that for as first in a long time all my paperwork is upnto date list.even running out off diy jobs in house .really getting board now.

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 08:35:09 am »
I'm at this game 8 years and this has been the worst winter yet, its just been one storm after another from November.
The thing is I'm not too bad as I'm mortgage and debt free and have an income from other things but I honestly don't know how anybody starting out in life could make a living in this game especially if your not in one of the millionaire weather free zones.

its all about attitude,preparation and a strong self motivation.i can see this not being as relevant if you have another income,no mortgage etc.

how have you managed to end up with no mortgage at your age?and whats you other means of income?

and  dont say housing benefit and claiming benefits! ;D

most of us have no other means of income and dont claim benefits at all so its off to work we go whatever the weather barring the odd really bad weather day.
price higher/work harder!

ChumBucket

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 08:42:03 am »
i feel sorry for you boys in scotland.9 times out of 10 your weather is a lot worse than the north west manchester region by a mile.

throw in the licenses you need for the different areas and a lot of scottish window cleaning prices being  lower than other parts of the country and you have a recipe for disaster.

i dont know how you guys make it pay.even the most positive window cleaners must get down at times.

That is nonsense Daz. Scotland is no different to anywhere else in the country in regards to window cleaning prices. It has affluent and less affluent areas just like anywhere else in the country.

SeanK

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 08:59:19 am »

its all about attitude,preparation and a strong self motivation.i can see this not being as relevant if you have another income,no mortgage etc.

how have you managed to end up with no mortgage at your age?and whats you other means of income?

most of us have no other means of income and dont claim benefits at all so its off to work we go whatever the weather barring the odd really bad weather day.

The difference Dazmond is when you where faffing about in your younger days I was working hard mortgaged and in debt to the hilt which has now all been paid back, that and a few investments have left me comfortable enough.
I'm now in my mid 50s and think I have earned the right to slow down a little but just to be clear I have never claimed a penny
in benefits from the day I left school which doesn't make me better than anybody else just luckier and would be out cleaning today if it was possible to do so.

deeege

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 09:18:51 am »

Has this winter really been worse for you than the winters of 2008/2009 and 2010/2011? Frozen temps of -15 were the norm for weeks on end. This place was ready to erupt there was that many windies on here that hadn't worked for weeks!

This winter has been great for me. I literally haven't lost a single days work so far. I've plenty of commercial work I can drop on if it's been too bad for domestics but tbh it very rarely has. I'm in the north west, Cheshire, aswell so not down south where they generally get kinder weather.

According to the met office it should be 35mph winds with 50mph gusts right now. I'm just about to start my 2nd house and there is a very slight bit of movement in the air, nothing more. If I'd have listened to the forecast and stayed at home I'd be missing out on a decent days pay for no reason at all.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Johnny B

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 09:22:43 am »

The difference Dazmond is when you where faffing about in your younger days I was working hard mortgaged and in debt to the hilt which has now all been paid back, that and a few investments have left me comfortable enough.
I'm now in my mid 50s and think I have earned the right to slow down a little but just to be clear I have never claimed a penny
in benefits from the day I left school which doesn't make me better than anybody else just luckier and would be out cleaning today if it was possible to do so.

Well done Sean, I take my hat off to you.

I'm also in my 50s' and am mortgage and debt free (I rent!).

Here in Ireland if you are self employed you are on your own, so no WFTC or social benefits to be had here if you hit a rough patch.

It's been the same here with one storm after another since the beginning of November, and Henry arrived last night!

I'm trad as well, so no ladderwork while he's around. I'm going either use a trad pole (just to see if viable, although I would think not) or maybe just do ground floors and see what happens.

John   
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

kempy

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 09:50:24 am »
Bad here in wakey .
But going out soon this day's work I've cancelled Friday , Saturday .

So I'm doing it today

Joey Eastwood

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 10:13:40 am »
Windy in the Midlands. Probably strong enough atm to stop work but this horrible week long cold stopping me at the moment  :-X :-X
when life throws you water, clean windows

ChumBucket

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2016, 04:16:12 pm »

Good post ;)

JSMC

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2016, 04:55:23 pm »
scunnert wae it

ChumBucket

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 04:58:27 pm »
Jings crivens help ma boab, it's blowin' like Billy-o' oot there!!

Carl2009

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016, 05:56:22 pm »

Has this winter really been worse for you than the winters of 2008/2009 and 2010/2011? Frozen temps of -15 were the norm for weeks on end. This place was ready to erupt there was that many windies on here that hadn't worked for weeks!

This winter has been great for me. I literally haven't lost a single days work so far. I've plenty of commercial work I can drop on if it's been too bad for domestics but tbh it very rarely has. I'm in the north west, Cheshire, aswell so not down south where they generally get kinder weather.

According to the met office it should be 35mph winds with 50mph gusts right now. I'm just about to start my 2nd house and there is a very slight bit of movement in the air, nothing more. If I'd have listened to the forecast and stayed at home I'd be missing out on a decent days pay for no reason at all.

Wow, you are mighty lucky I can tell you. Here in Pembrokeshire we've had bad weather since 26 Oct (I live 5 miles from that place that almost broke the record for the most number of consecutive days' rain). Since 4th Jan through to 23rd it was workable. Most of last week written off - absolutely lashing down; luckily because last week was the end of the month and because I was rained off the same week last month it worked out that I had no work on and I was able to concentrate on my new project www.williamsandwelsby.co.uk.

Saying that today was touch and go. Moderate rain whilst cleaning so ducked for cover, then the wind got up, but by then i'd finished.

All in all this is the worst winter for me since I started in April 2009. I worked 15 days in Nov and just 14 days in Dec. We had 3/5ths of a year's rain in those two months according to my weather station...

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2016, 07:24:59 pm »
Jonny hasn't replied since posting this, so i am assuming the worst.