Clever Forum Name

Who on here had problems with new transit connect?
« on: July 17, 2015, 06:43:30 am »
Hi

I was talking to someone about problems with transit connect. Brand new one....

Mainly reversing with full tank on hills.

Need some advice on what you did with regarding to Ford swapping it out?

Thanks

Damo

Dave Willis

Re: Who on here had problems with new transit connect?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 07:22:20 am »
What happens when reversing uphill  ???

Jay Le Huray

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 07:26:54 am »
I had one, when reversing up hill with a tank full they struggle and you get clutch burn (horrible smell) and the turning circle on them is rubbish..... stay clear of them they are not suitable for WFP cleaners,
I traded mine in and now have a vivaro which is up for the job

brianbarber

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 07:45:15 am »
Have one,
Clutch smell is on all these, made the salesman take me out in a demo just to prove the point.
The reversed thing, unlike old connect, you need to very gently let out the clutch with little revs, then it's fine.
Agreed on the lwb turning circle not as good as old one, but that apart it's the best van I've had and drives like a dream.

That is all !

Mr B
If in doubt.....Leave it out !!

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 08:47:31 am »
dont reverse uphill with a full tank if at all possible!you could burn the clutch out on any van.

i have the old T230.best van ive owned and loads of room in the back.love it.perfect for me and 500L tank.

are the newer connects as big as the T230 s?as they look smaller to me and not as well built.maybe its just the new styling making it look smaller.
price higher/work harder!

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 11:21:16 am »
dont reverse uphill with a full tank if at all possible!you could burn the clutch out on any van.

i have the old T230.best van ive owned and loads of room in the back.love it.perfect for me and 500L tank.

are the newer connects as big as the T230 s?as they look smaller to me and not as well built.maybe its just the new styling making it look smaller.

Lol you can't say that.

If you buy a new van and load it up with tools which is the same weight as a full water tank and it can't reverse up a hill then it ain't fit for purpose is it? Lol.

Not saying a mountain or even a steep hill. Just a hill.

Getting sorted. Thanks for replies.

Ben Marriott

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 11:26:30 am »
Ours have been fine with 3 of the big machines in the back or a van full of engines. The turning circle on our 04 is slightly better than the new ones and its got a bit more go but no where near as good on the handling side of things :)
Rutland Pumps Limited - 01572 729412- sales@rutlandpumps.co.uk

EandM

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 03:03:12 pm »
With a full tank in the back of my Ranger (400 litres) and at less than half the total payload it still requires a bit of effort to get it moving up the field in which I fill it. I'm guessing it's because the water moves in the opposite direction momentarily and in effect actually weighs 'more' than it really does when it's static. Fortunately the truck has low range 4wd which gives you about 1 mph per 1,000 rpm and therefore maximum torque at about 1.5 mph - seems to solve the problem nicely and will then travel back up the hill with feet off the pedals.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 03:29:18 pm »
My transit custom doesn't even bat an eye lid with 850L In the back  ???