chris@c.m.s

Bleeding rubber
« on: March 04, 2006, 10:59:10 pm »
I started a new clean this morning did one window and found the rubber seals had broken down and was bleeding onto the white upvc frames I've had 2 other houses with the same problem and have dropped them, this morning I showed the customer what the problem was and told him it wasnt viable to clean his windows he looked disapointed and I felt quite guilty as they had even offered a cup of tea on arrival  ::) I know there has been a post about seals before with I think Tosh offering a solution, I'm going over to wfp soon though and I'm thinking the job was never going to be worth keeping on my round, just wondered what the rest of you do in the same situation and would anyone dare to WFP them and what the result was?     
Sussex by the sea

sunshine windows

Re: Bleeding rubber
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 12:23:05 pm »
If i notice that the water off the rubber is starting to leave marks on the frames i just make sure i'm extra careful when detailing edges of panes.

Don't think there's much else you can do about the problem other than drop the customer like you've said.

If it's a real nightmare job, explain to the customer that it's taking you longer to clean and see if they would be happy with an increase in price.

Sunshine
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 12:43:57 pm »
I know there has been a post about seals before with I think Tosh offering a solution,

Chris,

This wasn't me!

I've a few with oxidised frames, but haven't had any trouble with seals (apart from a couple of leaky windows).

Do you mean that when you scrim the edges of a window pane, the rubber sort of 'rubs off' and leaves a black mark on the PVC?

If so, I think these would be okay to WFP.

With oxidised frames or windows that leak, these are your options:

1.   Do them using ladders and a squeegie.

2.   Drop the account.

3.   Miss the faulty windows out altogether.

4.   Use your WFP, but avoid the problem areas of the windows and inform the customer they'll have to live with the results.

Depending on the account and the location of the window (ie if the window's position forced me to use my ladders in a dangerous manner; I'd use WFP; even though I have a good idea that it won't come up as well, because I'm avoiding the frames).

I use any of the above options depending on the circumstances.  You just have to use a bit of judgement, common-sense, and have a 'have-a-go' attitude.

I do few accounts with oxidised frames and they come up really well with WFP.  I know, because I've gotten my ladders off and checked them; nose to the glass.

I'd advise you not to go binning accounts before you've tried them a few times with WFP.

I also don't know whether you plan to do 100% WFP, or tops only.  If you did do 100% WFP, I'd advise you to use a squeegie for the bottoms if the frames were oxidised, and explain to the customer that they'll have to live with the results for the 'tops'.

Explain it from a health & safety angle.

pjulk

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 07:08:24 pm »
I have a couple of customers with these seals that just keep letting off the black pigment in the rubber.

I have found you can WFP them but on the first clean you may get some black runs onto the white upvc.

What i did was wipe these runs off with scrim.
Then each clean after that i have not had any problems at all with them.

Paul

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 10:33:47 pm »
Sorry Tosh it was Ian not you :-[ Its the black coming of the rubber seals that I was asking about, seems I should have checked the previous posting there was more info on it than I thought and a mention of wfp  ::) the job yesterday was really bad though I had to return home and rinse the cloths off good excuse for another cuppa a well I guess ;D  anyway thanks for the added info guys.
Sussex by the sea

rosskesava

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 10:42:18 pm »
I don't know if this is true or not or if it works or not.

A local w/c of 30 odd years standing told me this and I've never tried it, he said after doing the windows and when it dry (he's a trad w/c) he puts vaseline on the offending rubber and it then stops the rubbers leaching for about 6 months to a year.

Just a thought.

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 09:33:01 pm »
Thanks Ross it may be worth a try if I get any more like it
Sussex by the sea

rosskesava

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 09:46:39 pm »
The funny thing is that ever since he told me that we've done no houses with 'bleeding rubber'.

Maybe the cure is knowing of a cure?