Mike George

Using an extension handle
« on: March 02, 2006, 09:06:43 pm »
Is it possible to do a good job with the mop and squeegee on an extension handle at say 1 or 2 metres?

And if so, are there any tips for doing it?
Don't recognise people?
Mike's face blindness blog

Ian_Giles

Re: Using an extension handle
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 10:41:30 pm »
oh yes.............. ;D

I'll answer in the morning though, for some reason 7 pints of stella seem to have blurred my thinking ???
Seriously, yes, but honestly can't concentrate cos of above reason....

Will put my twopennorth worth in at 5.30am.......................

Even us mods like a drink,  contrary to common opinion we really are only human... :-X

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Pole2pole

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 10:56:59 pm »
And who says window cleaners aint an honest bunch??? Bet ya don't make the 5 30 call  ;D

rosskesava

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 01:02:46 am »
SHHHhhhh.............

He's sleeping now after 7 pints.....ZZZZZzzzzzz.....

If I drank 7 pints I'd be in hospital.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 05:53:15 am »
Start of reply - 5.30am ;)

I regularly use an extention pole, the one being an Unger 5ft pole that extends out bout 9ft or so.
Slap on the applicator and wash glass, do not wet to the edges.

2 techniques for using the squeegee on the pole;

The first being to slide the squeegee up to one of the corners, and try to squeegee as normally as possible, turning is difficult and the higher you are working the less you can squeegee with each pass, but  you can normally work it down until you can reach without the use of the extention pole.

The method I prefer is to use a squeegee handle that allows you to rotate the blade to any angle you like.
Mine is the Unger swivel handle, but I think all the major makes do their own versions.
So the glass has been washed as before with the applicator, squeegee is on the pole and is swivelled around until the channel is nearly upright, providing there is room to do so I start the blade low enough on the window so that the squeegee can travel up the full length of the actual blade and then simple sraw the squeegee all the way along the window pane  and finish flush against the other side.
Depending on how long the channel is, you usually only need to make a couple of passes until you are down to the point where you can reach comfortably and squeegee as normal.
If you have done it right you will not need to tidy up afterwards with any detailing.
I only use this on big windows, even those with separate panes above the main big one, with those you need to be sure your applicator isn't too wet, and you usually cannot slide the blade up the glass, so you simply start flush to the window frame and draw across.
Or of course you simply start at the top and draw down.
You can usually start flush to the top and slide the channel along the top so that it is only on the final time you put the squeegee onto the glass that you are left with that wet line on the glass that you need to wrap a scrim around your pole to tidy up with a little detailing.
But the more you practice with squeegeeing with an extention pole, the more adept you get at it.
Most of my work is done with WFP now of course, but prior to WFP I used this technique constantly as much of my work is on shop fronts and so on.
I never attempted upstairs windows with an extention pole, I found that quality was way too compromised to be able to do so.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Mike George

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 06:21:51 am »
Thanks for that Ian.

I'll practise on some where I don't need the handle to reach them, to try to get it right for when I do.

The most difficult one I've had so far has been where the customer had a home-made wooden table on the patio, that was too big and heavy to move, so I had to stand on the table to do the 1st floor window. Made a right mess of it!
Don't recognise people?
Mike's face blindness blog

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 07:01:00 pm »
Thanks for that Ian.

I'll practise on some where I don't need the handle to reach them, to try to get it right for when I do.

The most difficult one I've had so far has been where the customer had a home-made wooden table on the patio, that was too big and heavy to move, so I had to stand on the table to do the 1st floor window. Made a right mess of it!

You call me a 'puff' for not trying; but I would've told the customer, 'sorry, I can't do that one'.

dai

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 08:35:38 pm »
I used to use the extension pole a lot with a backflip. It did a reasonable job but was sometimes difficult to do the bottom of the pane if it was recessed.
Some guys use a wagtail for this and I'm told with practice it is great. I use a wagtail without the extension every day and it's better than any method I'v used appart from WFP. Once you have mastered a Wagtail you will never go back to a normal squeegy. Dai

jeff evans

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 02:22:34 pm »
DAI

What,s a wagtail never heard of them before, do you have a pic of one.

Cheers jeff

H h20

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2006, 02:27:22 pm »
DAI

What,s a wagtail never heard of them before, do you have a pic of one.

Cheers jeff
Here Jeff,not sure if they are any good at cleaning windows but certainly can make a mess on them,Gaz  ;D
http://www.tsuru-bird.net/wagtails/wagtail_white2.jpg

jeff evans

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2006, 02:45:48 pm »
Thanks gaz for your enlightenment and words of wisdom  ;D  ;D

Cheers jeff.

H h20

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2006, 02:52:11 pm »
This time is for real  :D,,Gaz
www.wagtail.com/products.htm

jeff evans

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2006, 03:13:25 pm »
Hi gaz

how is your new wagtail brush coming allong,

H h20

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2006, 03:27:12 pm »
Hi gaz

how is your new wagtail brush coming allong,
Do you mean the Swivel,it`s working brilliant,if anyone wants one,i will have to make one to order and it will take a few days,i`ll take a pic in a min and post it on swivel brush topic,Gaz  ;)

dai

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2006, 07:12:05 pm »
Y0u can by them over here from Glyn at omnipole. omnipole@btinternet.com;
The Wagtail combi should make you at least 25% faster once you have mastered it.
They now make them up to 30 ins long for shop fronts. The 12 inch one is proberbly all you need if mainly domestic work. They use very little water, so are brilliant for doing inside work too. Two cupfulls of your cleaning solution in your bucket on a belt will do three average size semi's. Dogear the ends of the channel  and there is very little detailing to do.  Dai