APWC Membership Benefits
« on: February 28, 2006, 10:27:43 am »
MEMBER BENEFITS

1) Government Lobbying on behalf of the industry

2) Member list available to the general public via website members search

3) Member list available to all council offices

4) Member list available to all commercial premises

5) Use of Association Logo on van’s, letter heads etc

6)  Free APWC Logo Supplied for Van (296mm x 115mm)

7) Help on obtaining the correct Insurance

8) Help on preparing method statements and risk assessments.

9) Help on preparing Health and Safety policies

10) Help on marketing your business

11) Up to date information relating to H&S and other important industry matters

12) Networking via website and future local meetings

13) Conferences and seminars with guest appearances

14) 30% off Sign Writing   

15) Photographic ID Card   (Plastic Credit Card Style)           

16) Bi Monthly News Letter

17) Association marketing to create public awareness

18) Members only section on APWC Website (downloads will be available H&S info etc)

19) Free Website Hosting 

20) Free Domain Name   www.yourcomapany.co.uk   (subject to availability) 

21) 5 Email Addresses (Pop3)

BENEFITS CURRENTLY UNDER NEGOTIATION

Highly competitive Liability Insurances       

Free 24 hour legal advice help line 

Discounts from suppliers

Monthly Live Advice Sessions within the members only section of the website. 

I hope everyone will agree, there are some really fantastic and worth while benefits stated above. I feel it is also important to mention, all the benefits 1 – 21 are free with the membership excluding 14 which an additional cost would be incurred by the member. There are another 5 benefits currently undergoing negotiation, which should be in place when our doors open to members.

If anyone has any comments on the above benefits, please direct your questions directly at me and I will answer them with the current information I have. 

We have also uploaded some temp pages on the www.apwc.info website; again, you will find the benefits page listed up there. You will also find the official APWC Logo on the website.

Many Thanks

Andrew Mullen

pjulk

Re: APWC Membership Benefits
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 05:05:08 pm »
Good list of benefits there.

How much is it going to cost us to join and when does the new association open its doors for business.

Paul

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 05:30:23 pm »
Hi Paul

The official Launch date is still to be agreed upon. We are hoping late March possible early April (don't quote me on that though).

Membership can and will be taken prior to the launch date and members who sign up before the launch date will receive a 20% discount on their subscription fees.

I will be posting the Fee's later on this week.

Hope this helps and thank you for enquiring

Many Thanks

Andrew

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 08:52:54 pm »
Hi Again everyone,

I am just posting, to keep this at the top for a while, as I am sure there are members out there who do not log on everyday and it would be unfair for them to miss such an important post.

Many Thanks

Andrew

Paul Coleman

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 10:15:46 pm »
MEMBER BENEFITS

1) Government Lobbying on behalf of the industry

2) Member list available to the general public via website members search

3) Member list available to all council offices

4) Member list available to all commercial premises

5) Use of Association Logo on van’s, letter heads etc

6)  Free APWC Logo Supplied for Van (296mm x 115mm)

7) Help on obtaining the correct Insurance

8) Help on preparing method statements and risk assessments.

9) Help on preparing Health and Safety policies

10) Help on marketing your business

11) Up to date information relating to H&S and other important industry matters

12) Networking via website and future local meetings

13) Conferences and seminars with guest appearances

14) 30% off Sign Writing   

15) Photographic ID Card   (Plastic Credit Card Style)           

16) Bi Monthly News Letter

17) Association marketing to create public awareness

18) Members only section on APWC Website (downloads will be available H&S info etc)

19) Free Website Hosting 

20) Free Domain Name   www.yourcomapany.co.uk   (subject to availability) 

21) 5 Email Addresses (Pop3)

BENEFITS CURRENTLY UNDER NEGOTIATION

Highly competitive Liability Insurances       

Free 24 hour legal advice help line 

Discounts from suppliers

Monthly Live Advice Sessions within the members only section of the website. 

I hope everyone will agree, there are some really fantastic and worth while benefits stated above. I feel it is also important to mention, all the benefits 1 – 21 are free with the membership excluding 14 which an additional cost would be incurred by the member. There are another 5 benefits currently undergoing negotiation, which should be in place when our doors open to members.

If anyone has any comments on the above benefits, please direct your questions directly at me and I will answer them with the current information I have. 

We have also uploaded some temp pages on the www.apwc.info website; again, you will find the benefits page listed up there. You will also find the official APWC Logo on the website.

Many Thanks

Andrew Mullen

Any discounts on standpipes?   :(

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 08:33:36 am »
quite Impressive,how are you going to market it :-\ there are people that after some 50 odd years have not known of the Nat Fed ??? somthing new is going to be tough to be taken on board,I wish you well but I feel you have a mountain  to climb :-\
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 08:40:10 am »
quite Impressive,how are you going to market it :-\ there are people that after some 50 odd years have not known of the Nat Fed ??? somthing new is going to be tough to be taken on board,I wish you well but I feel you have a mountain  to climb :-\

Terry.
Ithink that communications have improved a lot in recent years - mainly because of the internet.  I think that this could make a big difference eventually.  I don't suppose every window cleaner uses the internet but a mixture of internet and word of mouth is probably the way.

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 12:07:18 pm »
having said that yes true,brings me back to the Fed again they have a web site etc,whats new,its a case if people can be bothered to join more cost again,its always going to be hard to get started,as for somthing thats established for many years. :-\
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 08:25:41 pm »
Hi Terry

Marketing the association is going to be a hard task, however, we have already set the wheels in motion on this and the current feedback is excellent

Many Thanks

Andrew

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006, 02:46:22 pm »
I wish you well in your venture ;) I do understand the work thats infront of you ::) when you market somthing getting off the ground,well thats the hardest,the hard core facts will become known over the months,as to if people do as they say they will,in my years of this I have found so much hot air,it all starts off  a thousand horses racing,then one by one,they all get out of breath,and stop :o,and nothing changes,its true to say the Fed has stood the test of time,it does understand it must bring in change and now,we can only wait and see ;)my thoughts only ;) as I am not on the board any more,but I still give them my support as and when I can,I still am a member and will remain so :D regards

Terry..... ;)
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!

alansavvi

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2006, 05:59:32 pm »
Terry

Your postings cannot hide your disdain for new things. The fed are useless, everyone knows that, lets see how these get on at representing a new industry, I.e wfp!

The fed had a chance to represent us but blew it on national tv. They are a old boys club!

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2006, 07:17:23 pm »
all I will say to you is,every one thinks they can do better,well go on then,lets see the change you are going to make ::)and I am not on the board any more,as for the old boys club,lets see how the newbs do :o :D any seen a magic wand ::)

just a thought! what you going to do if or when HS bring in regs about wfps going up 60ft needing to stand out 20 yards from the building,I am not knocking wfp,but its looks stupid up the west end ,we have seen it,hazzard waiting to happen :o ::) so wfp are not the best thing since slice bread ::)
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 07:44:27 pm »
Terry

Give us a chance will you.
That is exactly the attitude we need, a little bit of support would be nice.
Please do not judge us by what has gone before.

As for Wfp or any hse regs for that matter you can rest assured we will represent all window cleaners on all matters.

Our health and safety representative is already in talks with the hse regarding the welfare and well being of all window cleaners.

We are not here to sit on the fence and wait for issues to arrise.
We will be pro-active and will address issues beforehand, the communication with the environment agency regarding the impending water shortage being an example.

Thanks

Dave

Terry_Burrows

Re: APWC Membership Benefits New
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2006, 07:56:51 pm »
just a thought what about the welfare of the public to,I saw the other day in the west end wc with a 60ft pole how stupid I know the company :o he could not get the angle he needed to clean,let alone the pressure needed at that height ;D or has no one dare mention this subject or is it taboo :o everyone goes on how great wfps are,what about the public then,what wfps going to do if hs,say you must rope off,20ft to the left same to the right,and behind you,you may well laugh now :-\what if that happens,just a thought :-\
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2006, 08:00:43 pm »
Terry

I am with you there,you realy must be sensible when using wfp over a certain height.
I have enough trouble with an 18' if the truth be known,I am now glad i attended a wfp course.
I did not think that at the time though :-)

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2006, 08:18:32 pm »
just a thought what about the welfare of the public to,I saw the other day in the west end wc with a 60ft pole how stupid I know the company :o he could not get the angle he needed to clean,let alone the pressure needed at that height

Ah now, come on Terry,

There's dangers with using ladders too, not just for the user either.

alansavvi

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2006, 09:22:04 pm »
What ridiculous comments you make Terry, For the fastest window cleaner you certainly have not caught on.

The way i see it is those who insist that not using wfp is good are not part of the industry i am in. They should stay with the fed!

You can be the fastest unsafe wc for all i care. You try working in the west end without wfp. You may have clients, but wait until the hse puts there foot down,

rosskesava

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2006, 09:41:36 pm »
everyone goes on how great wfps are,what about the public then,what wfps going to do if hs,say you must rope off,20ft to the left same to the right,and behind you,you may well laugh now :-\what if that happens,just a thought

I think this is a forgotten issue by wfp users including us.

Last week I watched in amazement at 3 wfp users (working from the same van) were cleaning the upstairs windows (3 floors) over the top of a very busy supermarket next to very busy set of traffic lights in the middle of town during the middle of the day. The pavements were maybe 10' wide. The road solid with traffic. Etc etc.

Apart from anything else, the number of people getting wet... ?

I won't go into all the obvious hazards but I reckon it is only time before someone somewhere looks at safe working practises when using wfp.

I know that ladders are much more dangerous if an accident occurs and that has nothing to do with the point I'm making.

The point I'm making is that recently I have seen more unsafe working methods (more in terms of Joe Public) with wfp'ers working from vans than with w/c's using ladders in very public places and as wfp becomes more mainstream?

What if someone slips over not expecting the ground to be wet and dies from cracking their nut on the kerb or trips over the hose? Or anyone of a thousand other possibilies. How long before the H & S start issuing new rules due to cowboys  and those that 'are just not aware' just as they've done with the WAHL's.

I don't know what any association can do as there will always be cowboys and the like. Those that are likely to join an association and follow a code of conduct and safe working practise would probably be inclined to do that anyway.

So I think within a period of time there will be more rules to follow.

ps I will be joining the APWC.

Hi caustic soda

Sorry, but what is the point you are making in your posting?

Morph

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2006, 10:24:17 pm »
I have followed a strict code of conduct, and very safe working practise windowcleaning for the past 19 years.  I found absolutely no benefits from being a member of a federation, other than a sticker on your vehicle, that, in all honesty only other windowcleaners would know anything about.  So I never joined.
I am reading with interest how the new association is developing.
But, I am yet to be convinced of any tangible benefits, that it can provide, that I can't provide myself.

rosskesava

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2006, 10:57:55 pm »
But, I am yet to be convinced of any tangible benefits, that it can provide, that I can't provide myself.

Hi Pj

That is true.

One reason I am going to join is simply because for some commercial work being a member of something helps. I didn't join the Fed because their website is useless apart from being boring. They also hid how much it costs and for me, I want to know the price without having to find my way around a website that goes in circles without letting me know the answer to a simple question.

I am hoping the price of joining the APWC will not be a bit of a shock though.

As for working safely, I also believe we do but I do also think that sometimes a person working commercially in a public place sometimes only finds out about how it is supposed to be done legally when an accident happens.

For that, finding out what is and what is not, an association can be invaluable.

When I e mailed the Fed with some basic questions etc, the reply was all about money - mine. Then they were interested in telling me how much but not one single answer to a few simple questions. I hope the new association has a different ethic.

Cheers

Morph

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2006, 11:42:58 pm »
All fair comments, Ross.
  As I said, I'm watching with interest.
I have no intention of rubbishing the APWC before it is able to show some results.
As for gaining credibility with commercial clients; presentation and good communication skills are the key, in my experience.
I have the credentials necessary to demonstrate & prove I am up to the contracts I apply for.
Many larger companies provide me with H&S requirements. I know whether I'm qualified or not. 
What is my point?
If I am up to the job, then I don't need extra help.
If I want the job, but I'm not well enough equipped in any way, I have enough experience to know how to get equipped, or whether I'm out of my depth. 
So I don't see how I would benefit from it...yet

I'll probably regret typing this, but I find a lot of things like this are just "talked up" by the group or clique involved.  Oh, and I hate politics.

rosskesava

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2006, 11:54:04 pm »
I'm watching with interest also.

To be honest, we've only lost one contract which was a peach of a job because the bloke needed to satisfy his boss that a small business would be up to doing the work and he reckoned any trade association affiliation would have swung it.

The last contract we got was because the person who decides liked the way we spent ages going around the place and asking questions. The 2 other quotes he had to get were just a formality.

As for politics and things like this being talked up by those involved, I was involved but as no one got back to me after leaving countless voice mail messages I got fed up and thought if they want me to help, then someone will phone. No one did. So I have no vested interest at all.

I hate politics too. I also hate ..... I won't say anymore.  :-X

Yup. It's a wait and see thing.

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2006, 12:28:56 am »
Good evening everyone,

I do not wish to get in a debate about which association is better, that will at the end of the day, be in the eye of the beholder.

What I would like to remind people is the APWC was actually set up, because of the lack in support for window cleaners by any associations. In addition, it is window cleaners who have set the association up, where this was not the case in another association.

Pj, I am really glad you are following the APWC with interest and I am sure as we grow and progress, you will find the tangible benefits you are looking for.

Ross, I would like to think at this stage you know me well!!!! The only way the APWC is going to succeed, is by keeping its ears to the ground, listening to its members and listening to other governing bodies that could help or obstruct our trade and then acting on whatever is required. As David has mentioned – We are going to be Pro-active and not sit back and hope for the best. My personal view and what I would like to achieve whilst I am on the Board – is to create an Association that leads the way for other associations to follow. I will be releasing the Membership Fees over the weekend and hopefully you will find them acceptable.

We have put allot of research into the APWC official website, which is still to be launched and we hope that the end product will be inviting and easy to use. Not only will membership information (applications – benefits – fees) be there for people to view, but also all fees and on line application facilities. There will be a private members section, which will have all the latest industry news, valuable downloads and also in the near future, monthly live advise sessions for our members. The web site will also be designed for public – commercial and government agencies to read and learn about window cleaning for their sectors and on line searches can be made to find APWC members that can carry out the work they require in their region/ area/ postcode.

Another excellent benefit we are supplying is the free domain names (subject to availability) and website hosting. This will enable our members to have their own websites and when a member search is carried out on the APWC site, instead of just having – Joe bloggs – clean n bright – window cleaning street – Essex – 0800 000 000 . The person accessing the search will then be able to access that member or member’s websites, thus helping to sell the members services better.

Although the APWC has a central email address   info@apwc.info   the board members each have their own personal email and each have a portfolio to run – Mine is membership, so any questions regarding membership would be answered by me. All email addresses and portfolios will be advertised on the website and everyone will be more than welcome to ask the appropriate portfolio holder questions relating to that. So for example, if I was asked how much are fees, I would tell you, if I was asked what are the benefits, I would tell you, if I was asked about H&S, I would forward your question to Wayne, who would then answer you.

I think I have rambled on enough now. I hope the above provides some answers for you all.

Many Thanks

Andrew

Terry_Burrows

Re: APWC Membership Benefits New
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2006, 09:54:40 am »
costic soda you talk a load of crap  >:( Ross understands where I am coming from,from what I have seen in the west end just the other day its madness ::) thats not to say all the that use wfp are the same people,lets make that clear!  >:(we all know thats not the case, I have done more for wc publicly then any one has ever done,I am not taking sides againt wfp I am merely making a statement of what could be,you see the minute I appear to attack wfp users you are up in arms,scared about some home at heart statement,ladders can be harmful,I still see 3 part ladders on vans,you would not get me up that for all the tea in china ;D the fact is whats scary to some is that people do listen to what I say,no I am not god,before you jump again,I just have got 30 years behind me and wfp is a new toy is this country,yes I know its been around a few years,but more people are trying to push it because hs,I do not have a proplem
with that ;) you also got to think about the people who cannot afford such tools,just because you got wfps,it does not mean you get lots more work!

so I am not anti wfp just making a statement thats all ;)
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!