« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 08:03:55 am »
Does this work,and is it practical? To stop the flow of water to your
Brush head,just `nip` together your water feed pipe near or at perhaps
The base of your pole,your pump pressure switch activates and `kicks in`
Stopping the pump.When ya want the water flow again just release your
Hand on your pipe and away ya go again.I heard long since Craig Mawlam
Gave that `tip` on one of his training courses.Oaky fella`s I`m here,go ahead
And shoot me down Jesse James.!!

I've tried it that way and there's no doubt about it that it works.  However, in practice, I have found that it's often not practical.  I found there were too many times when I need three hands to work this way.  Often I would find myself needing two hands to alter the pole length or sometimes needing to disconnect the pole from the hosereel completely.
My preferred method is to have a flow control at the end of the hosereel.  I can't find a picture oif one at the moment they look like a standard hozelock connector with a small tap on.  I know Omnipole do them.  I imagine others do too.

Roy Harding

Re: Auto-Brush/Remote Control Alternative
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 08:25:39 am »
To cut the flow by pinching the pipe or a flow control tap and letting the preasure switch stop the pump.

In the early days people would do this and this would cause the pump switch to burn out in days, the pump would stutter wich is called cycling.  I know from experence.

Now you can do this if you fit a varistream or ecoflow flow controller or having a bypass from  the pump.

The new preasure switches are about £18 - £20.

Roy

Ian_Giles

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 01:42:17 pm »
I've used the fold and pinch method for almost 2 years with the same 60 psi shurflow pump with no problem at all.
Though as my system came from Peter Fogwill the pump box was plumbed to recycle the water when you turned the flowrate down, so when you did cut the flow completley by pinching off the supply, the pump continues to run.
If the pressure is set high then the pump would stop, starting again when you released the the hose.
Works fine.

I don't know if Peter still sends out his systems plumbed up the same or whether he now incorperates the varistream or ecoflow controllers instead...I must ask him!

If I need to raise or lower the pole I will either hold the hose in my teeth :o or tie a knot in it ;D
A trigger system works on some poles, but not on the Unger ones because if you have the hose on the outside of the pole you only need to use whatever section or sections you actually need, or even to pop of the brush and clip it into a shorter pole, ergo the trigger system won't work.
Ideal though when you are using composit poles and have the hose fed up through the pole as you are not dismantling your poles all the time, so the trigger is always left on the same pole section.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

mark6765

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 02:54:20 pm »
sorry but i wouldnt fancy my hose in my mouth. ???
at least twice a week it has been dirty with dog or cat do.
i think i will stick with a trigger. ;D ;D

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 02:58:40 pm »
I will either hold the hose in my teeth...
Ian

Ian,

You grot!  I've drunk out of the same pint glass you've used.

In future I'll be making sure our beers don't get mixed up.

Anyway, I use a back pack and there's no problem with nipping the hose to stop the pump.

It is after all designed as a crop sprayer, and the original crop spraying attachment works in the same manner as 'nipping the hose'.