Paul Coleman

More about spotting
« on: February 25, 2006, 05:46:27 pm »
I did a job earlier today and had the opportunity to view what I had done - from the inside.
The windows are UPVC with a leaded pattern stuck on them.  These windows came up to a decent standard i.e. almost totally spot free.
However, on this house is another type of window too.  There is just one of those old aluminium type double glazed windows.  On this window, there was a lot more spotting than on the others.  Recently, I posted about a job that had a lot of spotting problems.  At that job, all the windows were of the aliminium type double glazing too.
I'm starting to see a pattern here.  It seems that these aluminium type double glazed windows (with wooden surrounds) are more prone to spotting that other windows.
Anyway, I discussed it with the customer and we decided that I would carry on cleaning this window the same as the others for two more cleans.  If the spotting was not resolved after that clean, then I would squeegee it.  It's no big deal as it is a ground floor window anyway but I want to see if I can clean it without any spots.  Bear in mind that I cleaned this window the same way as all the others in the house and the others are OK.

macc

Re: More about spotting
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 06:20:15 pm »
hi, had the same prob with one of mine, customer moved to a nice big house, you guessed it, ally into existing frames.

i had read on here they can be a prob with spotting so i did explain that to her but was told ive done her windows for years & as they obviously havent been done for years give it a go.

first time i thought was not good but by the 3rd clean (thursday) all good. called in on way home & she is well pleased.

macc.   ;D

JM123

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 03:45:11 pm »
Have a mountain of customers with this type - try doingthe frame first, rinse then do the glass on its own- found this to work really well no spotting and only takes a little longer, do it for 2 cleans then don't need to bother again just do them normally.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

macc

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 07:25:32 pm »
didnt think of doing them like that, cheers for the tip JM.  ;D

JM123

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 04:00:45 pm »
No problem, sure thats why the forum is here.  All you are doing when you do that is to remove and rinse any deposits on the frame before doing the glass so it doesn't rinse down onto the glass after.

Ballymena N.I

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 08:32:35 pm »
I have a customer like this with aluminium frames also and have given up trying to get them to look good using wfp. Was there today actually. Today was the fifth clean (every 5 weeks).

The windows in question are 11 patio door size windows which is half of the windows on the property. I've scrubbed the frames then rinsed - cleaned the windows - then rinsed - cleaned the rest of the windows on the property and then returned to the patio windows and rinsed again. I've done this on every visit.

When they dry there is white dribbles all down the patio windows. What makes me confused is that the rest of the windows on the property come out spotless. They are the standard upvc windows.

The customer has been excellent about the whole thing and has even made excuses on my behalf. I'm whipping out my squeegie on the next visit.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 09:38:54 pm »
No problem, sure thats why the forum is here.  All you are doing when you do that is to remove and rinse any deposits on the frame before doing the glass so it doesn't rinse down onto the glass after.

Thanks for that one from me as well   :)

JM123

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 03:11:13 pm »
No prob at all folks - I still get some probs myself with certain types of glass, really the most important thing is to continue rinsing and make sure there is nothing running from frame onto glass, other than that just make sure your water is reading 0 or very close and you shouldn't have too many probs.

Ballymena N.I