Re: good news on the hose pipe ban
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2006, 07:40:26 pm »
Too late I have just smeared kebab across Pizza Huts windows

Rob ;D
Looks like you`ve got to fit a free clean in,Gaz  ;D

H h20

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2006, 07:44:34 pm »
Rob i have just checked the other forum it was Gary Richards,you owe me a pint  :D,Gaz  ;)

Rob_Mac

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2006, 07:49:51 pm »
Gaz

He's better looking, free clean in the bank for you.

Rob ;D ;D

Ian_Giles

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2006, 10:43:49 pm »
It's ok Rob! I know you aren't picking an arguement!!
I hope I don't appear arguementative!
But to make a debate of things I have to take at least a semblance of an opposing viewpoint!
Any questions I ask, I ask through genuine ignorance :-[
I also think that with the hugely increasing popularity of WFP it isn't goingto take long before the water companies sit up and start to take real notice too.

My own usage of pure water is about 200-250l per day, so my total usage of water is at max about 1000l 5 days of the week. (including waste)
With a more efficient R/O that could be halved, and if I could afford the new Ionics system it would be cut to just 250l :o

In the South East, unless large amounts of rain fall in the next couple of months the situation isn't likely to change until the Autumn/winter of this year, a very real concern for them.
Any measures they put in place are just stop gaps and don't rectify the underlying problems unfortunately, and since the drought of 76 they should have had real solutions in place by now, but governments just refuse to learn don't they?
But if this run of weather repeats itself for a couple of years they'll have no option but to take some very big action indeed, we are a pretty wet country by all accounts and we squander the metre or more of water that falls per square inch on EVERY square inch of the country every year!

Anyone ever watch 'The 3 Amigos'?
I'm not sure why I brought that up, but there is a scene in the movie when the 3 amigos are traveling across the desert, Steve Martin and...er...the wimpy one ( :-[) are out of water MARTIN SHORT!!! (I remembered ;D) I think it is Martin Short who goes to pour the last mouthful of water into his mouth and just pours out sand, Chevy Chase's Character upends his and pours mouthful after mouthful into his mouth, pours it all over his face and chucks the still half full canteen into the desert floor where it glugs away into the arid sand.Steve Martin and Martin Short look on incredulously....(and rather thistily :P)

Our government is Chevy Chase, Steve Martin and Martin Short are us, the long suffering populace :-\

Kind of a strange anology, but it makes sense to me  ;D

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Paul Coleman

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2006, 10:46:18 pm »
Rob,
 I was of course being pedantic, but window cleaners are not going to make a particularly big difference to the water problems, lump all of the WFP users together and they won't even come remotely close to the water a paper mill uses in just a few hours, there is a relatively  small mill close to us that pumps out tens of thousands of litres a day. (they are amazing places by the way, and are 2nd only to steel production in the heavy plant used to produce paper)
I have no real objection to paying for the water I use for business purposes, but I would object to paying a business rate on my domestic water, particularly as that is higher than my business consumption!!

Of course water companies would hardly insist on a trad window cleaner going on a meter and paying business rates for his water, that would be ridiculous.

When the law is interpreted to the very letter then it becomes an ass, perspective is important in its implementation.

Though to avoid business rates I would certainly upgrade my R/O, or rather the threat of being put on business rates would be the spur to do so.
Far more expensive than a tenner a week extra on my water bill but it would mean being able to fill up on the go and I wouldn't be restricted to one source of water supply.

But what did you mean when you say,
"The price of £1.47 per cubic metre of water has no drainage cost to it, so is cheaper"  ??

And why should the water companies make more money out of me because the use of water is necessary to my business?
But also, (and I honestly don't know the answer by the way) if you are say...a local shop, something like a clothes shop and the only water you use is to flush the loo and make the odd cup of tea or coffee, would you also be on a business tariff for your water supply?
How the hell would that be fair or reasonable ???

I dislike intensely the fact that just because I am a business I am forced to pay more for for a product or a service than a domestic customer.
When I go to a pub I pay the same for a pint of beer as anyone else, why should I pay more for a pint of water?

Ian

I don't know if it's changed over the years Ian, but oddly enough, business gas users used to be on a lower tariff than domestic users.  That seems to fly in the face of water companies charging more.