sunshine windows

Help with cutting rubber
« on: February 24, 2006, 06:30:35 pm »
Hello All,

I'm having trouble cutting my rubbers with scissors. The bloke i used to work for had a special cutting device, sharp scissor blade at the top and a flat piece of iron on the bottom. It used to cut the rubber in a perfect straight line with no snags at the ends.

Does anyone know where i can purchase one of these tools from. I've searched all over the internet with no joy. Alternatively does anyone have another tool for cutting rubber that they can suggest for me.

Sunshine
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

rah

Re: Help with cutting rubber
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 06:34:42 pm »
Have seen them, but for the life of me can't remember where, i believe it would be either the window clean centre or the national federation shop, personally i have always used a scraper blade, the little 1.5 " ones.

rob
Life used to be full of up's and downs....now i hardly ever get up a ladder :) .

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 07:35:39 pm »
 Try using  an Unger Safety scraper with the bread board underneath?

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

sunshine windows

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 07:47:14 pm »
Thanks for those suggestions lads. I'd quite like something that's portable though. Don't fancy keeping the bread board in the back of my car all day.  ;D
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

dave0123

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 08:06:16 pm »
i just use sissors ??? sharp ones tho and cut from the back of the rubber first allways puts a clean cut on the rubber had no problems :) spose you could yous a stanley knife, and am currrently using etttore rubber
Dave.

s.hughes

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 08:35:02 pm »
Soap national sell them

Steve

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 10:33:46 pm »

David

That's how I do it.  A new scraper blade and a bread-board!

No problems!

Morph

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 10:46:34 pm »

David

That's how I do it.  A new scraper blade and a bread-board!

No problems!

That's the way I've done it for years.  And I thought everyone must have a better way

WavieDavie

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2006, 12:52:56 am »
I've had one of these for years http://www.shop.edirectory.co.uk/trueshopping/pages/moreinfoa.asp?pe=BFIHCGGQ_+sealey+rubber+hose+cutter&cid=1762 and the blade still frightens me! Put the "bead" side of the rubber away from you in the jaws and you get a perfect right angled cut everytime.

I got mine from MachineMart originally but I couldn't find it on their site.

Update
WAY before that I used an "anvil" type secateur http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=2585&MAN=Faithfull-Anvil-Secateurs-8in These type of secateurs have the flat base and a sharp blade coming down onto it. It gives a straight cut, but after a while the action of the blade coming onto the base gradually marks it and renders itself useless because it can't complete a clean cut. See if you can try one from a gardening friend before you buy.
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

steve k

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 07:09:59 am »
a scraper acts just like a guillotine. Cut enough for the week and you just take out a couple of spare rubbers a day.

macleod

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2006, 12:50:52 am »
yep...

Unger Safety scraper and slice the rubber on the van floor