macc

tucker pole clamps
« on: February 24, 2006, 02:33:23 pm »
hi guys, spoken to dan at tucker pole BASINGSTOKE & he tells me tucker have come up with new clamps for there poles.

they are going to be at WINDEX, about £7 each i think he said, be a lot easier to adjust the pole & save time.

hope that helps for us tucker chaps.  ;D ;D ;D

gary evans

Re: tucker pole clamps
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 08:27:42 am »
hi

We use Tucker poles, but, dont require to use Tucker tool all time.

Clean poles weekly to remove dirt etc then wd40 clamps, clamps will then hand tight for upto 35 ft

Been doing this 2 years plus & realy improves speed on setup especially small jobs.

P.S. Is this similar to Stream system have previously seen.

Gary

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 11:56:24 am »
The new clamps will fit the old and new poles, they "finger tighten" like a thumbscrew.

brett walker

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 12:26:13 pm »
Gaza's tucker pole is very good, light brush head excellent but the only thing that puts me off is tightening it up with the tool, if now you can get clamps i wouldnt mind one.
Because they are so light to handle

Brett

Philip Hanson

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 12:28:08 pm »
P.S. Is this similar to Stream system have previously seen

No it is totally different.  They new clamps look to be a vast improvement on the old ones, which were awkward to use and  needed a special tool- the 'tucker tool'.

The 2002 HSL report on the use of waterfed poles pointed out that, because the use of the tool was fiddly and time consuming (not to mention that the tool was prone to being lost), the worker often used the pole at the wrong angle, whch could put excessive strain on their back and cause injury.

"In order to make it easier for user to adjust the length of poles 'on the fly', the clips between pole sections should be easy to release and adjust.  The plastic clips on the fibre glass poles are ideal in this respect because they are easy to adjust.  The metal clips on the aluminium poles need a special tool for adjustments and it is possible that as a result, the users may be less inclined to make the necessary adjustments to pole length during cleaning."

The old tucker clamp.  A tool is needed to adjust it

Among the recommendations of the report, it said:
"It would be useful for the relevant manufacturer to look at ways of eliminating the need for a hand tool to fasten / unfasten the clips on the aluminium poles.  Ideally, all the clips should be quick and easy to use, even when weraring gloves"

Now, 4 years later, tucker have introduced their new "pennel" clamp which doesn't need a tool.

It still fastens by means of a worm gear, like the old clamp, but it has little plastic wings (like a wingnut) to tighten instead of the little stubby piece that you fitted the tool onto.  These new clamps can also be retro-fitted onto existing poles.

There'll be pictures of it in the next PWC.

-Philip
Editor, Professional Window Cleaner Magazine

"The irony of the information age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion"
John Lawton

gaza

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 09:17:31 pm »
PHIL:WILL THEY STILL CATCH  ON THE GUTTER?THE CLIPS THAT IS.

GAZA {or am   Ialso guilty of using it the wrong angle,by not adjusting]
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

macc

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 12:00:01 am »

GAZA {or am Ialso guilty of using it the wrong angle,by not adjusting]

guilty too, thats why i hope these clamps are easier to adjust, i find it a pain adjusting, it will make life a lot easier.  ;D

gaza

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 01:02:37 am »
MACC:Have you mastered the art of entendiing the Tucker pole while its up in the air?or do you guess how high it is, then  walk it up,IF ANYONE HAS  MASTERED THIS ART FORM PLEASE LET ME KNOW,[pretty please]

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 06:35:15 pm »
hi all you should use the alley omnipoles light and easy to tight and untight. But with all poles you should clean regular. I use a jet washer to blast away the dirt from inside the poles works a treat Rich \\\\\\rs \cleaning Services

macc

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2006, 06:50:57 pm »
gaza, not yet mate, but i rest pole on wall, holding second extension with left hand, undo nut adjust then clamp up again. i think with new clamps iwill be a lot easier.

if im reaching over a roof then i rest head on roof & adjust it that way, saves laying down & lifting again.  ;D