« on: February 24, 2006, 09:13:58 am »
 Hi,

In the news, how does it effect WFP !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4744862.stm

Jago

Re: Hosepipe bans on the way in the South East
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 09:30:22 am »
I don't think it matters to us really.
You are a tradeperson you need it for your livleyhood.
(however you spell that word)
WFP may raise some eyebrows but you should be ok.
To Do Is To Dare

The Fox

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 09:53:23 am »
In the Daily Mail

The Goverment watchdog wants a hosepipe ban across southern England within weeks.
It also wants a ban on window cleaning and watering public parks

It also states

Farmers may be forced to turn off their water irrigation systems while car washes and other businesses which use a lot of water could have to close

I do not think they will allow windows to be cleaned with WFP if things are that bad

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 10:39:03 am »
No you don't need it.
How did you clean windows before you had it?

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 11:22:22 am »
No you don't need it.
How did you clean windows before you had it?
not everyone used the wheel either but i dont see many people dragging their loads around anymore.

macc

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 02:54:48 pm »
we are still on a hose pipe ban here in sussex.

just spoke to southern water & they said to me the ban would not effect window cleaning & wfp as this is a buisness,

was told there are plenty of other restrictions first.

its how i make my living, pay the bills mortgage etc,

if the government is so worried about the lack of water down here why not start building more houses up north, problem shared problem halfed, but thats the problem, labour is northern so its not there problem,  :(

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 03:31:45 pm »
I get my water from my two water-butts! ;)

macc

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 04:21:01 pm »
hows the water get in the butts tosh.  ???

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 04:24:01 pm »
Water that falls onto a roof and is collected is deemed rateable.
There was a minister on today that mentioned wall washing and building cleaning being part of the enforcement, but hopefully thats when they use constant sprayed water over months to clean.

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 04:26:34 pm »
hows the water get in the butts tosh.  ???

Ah, well, er!

Good question, but I'm not answering!

pjulk

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 04:28:37 pm »
We still have a hosepipe ban going from last summer.

Window cleaners are fine with a hosepipe ban it does not affect them.

It will only affect them if a drought order was bought in

Paul

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2006, 04:45:45 pm »
Hmm wonder if we could sell our waste water to gardeners  :D
Sussex by the sea

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2006, 04:50:17 pm »
Imagine the scene, people collecting water at standpipes, grumbling.
Along comes the happy WFPer, seamingly using copious amounts of water.
Angry crowd gathers, happy WFPermakes quirky comment.
What happens next..............?

Paul Coleman

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2006, 04:55:12 pm »
Imagine the scene, people collecting water at standpipes, grumbling.
Along comes the happy WFPer, seamingly using copious amounts of water.
Angry crowd gathers, happy WFPermakes quirky comment.
What happens next..............?

They get squirted.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2006, 04:56:38 pm »
Wot about customers who say "I don't think I should have my windows cleaned while there's a drought on!"?

It's a game of three halves!

Morph

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2006, 05:00:53 pm »
Give them a dryclean ;D...

If only....

Morph

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2006, 05:05:58 pm »
Last customer I did today has a well in his garden.  He has installed a very sophisticated irrigation system all round his garden from it.
He says he knows a company who will come and drill in your garden if you think there may be an underground well.  If they find one they charge you for driling, if they don't find one.. no charge!
Think I'll get them out to drill just the other side of the meter ;D

Roy Harding

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2006, 05:09:18 pm »
My system sucks moisture from the air by condinsation then fillters it down too pure. ;D

Send me £200 and Ill send some photos ;)

Roy :)

macc

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2006, 06:49:14 pm »
pj, did he say what the cost was cause we have natural springs in our garden. macc

sunshine windows

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2006, 06:56:39 pm »
I could always sell you guys the sweat i produce each day from cleaning trad.  ;D

To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

roo

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2006, 07:38:16 pm »
In the Daily Mail

The Goverment watchdog wants a hosepipe ban across southern England within weeks.
It also wants a ban on window cleaning and watering public parks]

where does it say this?

The Fox

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2006, 08:18:33 pm »
Page 25 Daily Mail

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2006, 08:26:56 pm »
You may need one of these zero reject ro systems, the new system will be launched at windex stand w3

Rob_Mac

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2006, 09:12:48 pm »
Spoke to a person today about having my new trading address fitted with water supply and meter.

The ball is rolling and should be done by end of month.

Severn Trent Water Authority have no pending hose pipe bans and do not see that there will be any imposed.

You southern lot keep away

Rob ;D ;D

H h20

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2006, 09:15:56 pm »
Spoke to a person today about having my new trading address fitted with water supply and meter.

The ball is rolling and should be done by end of month.

Severn Trent Water Authority have no pending hose pipe bans and do not see that there will be any imposed.

You southern lot keep away

Rob ;D ;D
Great stuff Rob,that`s good for me,Gaz  ;)

Rob_Mac

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2006, 09:20:52 pm »
Eyup Gaz

Branching out I see - free brush for that bit of advice - please

Rob ;D

H h20

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2006, 09:24:19 pm »
Eyup Gaz

Branching out I see - free brush for that bit of advice - please

Rob ;D
I`ll keep a spare in the van,next time you see me it`s yours,Gaz  ;)

roo

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2006, 09:30:13 pm »

this is what i want to hear-business as usual!
i can just c it on peoples faces in the summer,especially those who love a green green garden.hey, could even sell some water 2 em.ha ;D

Morph

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2006, 09:48:52 pm »
pj, did he say what the cost was cause we have natural springs in our garden. macc
I'll try and find out more.  May take me a while, I only see the customer 8 weeks usually.  I'll phone him.
Remind me if it slips from view.

You may need one of these zero reject ro systems, the new system will be launched at windex stand w3

I, like many am envious.   But......
If there's a ban, it won't really make a jot of difference how good your conversion rate is, with respect.

If I drove into a petrol station during a petrol ban, and said, "but my car does 150 miles to the gallon!"   SO WHAT!  NO PETROL! NO CONCESSIONS!

On the other hand, it could be raining all summer :P

Ian_Giles

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2006, 09:31:38 am »
The lack of water is a genuine concern, if it gets down to standpipes in the street and it isn't even summer then we have a problem.
When it gets to that stage I would very much imagine that in those areas window cleaners will be affected.
Lets face it, standpipes in the street is pretty serious, and if we are in that position, say, by May (for the sake of arguement) then it is unlikely to change throughout the entire summer, it probably wouldn't be until well into Autumn or early winter, providing the rains come of course, that restrictions would be lifted.

That idiot Prescott still intends to build thousands of houses in the worst affected part of the land too. What a moron.

The water companies lose vast amounts of our water through leaks, I guess they are genuinely trying to fix this problem, but there has to be many thousands of miles of pipe work that really needs to be replaced with modern day materials. Repairing and fixing leaks just isn't enough, the pipework in place is ancient.

I was reading in one of the papers...forgotten which one now, I think it may have been the times :P (no, I am not posh enough to buy The Times, but now it's smaller I enjoy reading it ;)) and the article in there was about the problems with water and the way in which we save the wet stuff up in reservoirs and so on.
Reservoirs themselves are not all they are cracked up to be by all accounts, silting up is a major problem, as is evaporation.
Shunting water for irrigation and other uses from free flowing rivers and tributaries has major effects on the ecology, water tables drop lower and lower.

The article gave many examples of slightly lateral thinking that gave a totally different slant on how we save water, I wish I had the article to hand and I would have cribbed off it!

Governments and water authorities need to open their collective eyes and start doing things about water, it isn't just about fixing leaks or building reservoirs, believe it or not those are just short term fixes, it has to be looked at in context with the ecology.

I must see if I can find that blasted article >:( Was very thought provoking.....

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

twt

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2006, 11:08:02 am »
haha southen faires looks like its back to the ladders for you. ;D only kidding i understand the problem but i think this would be a justifiable reason for using ladders as a water ban would remove a safe and practicle alternative to ladders. also i think there will be alot more water shortage problems in the future i once heard someone state that he thought wars in the not too distant future would be fought not over oil but water.
      I use wfp but it has always concerned me how much water it uses, i think any future inovations in wfp will be on reducing water consumption both though reverse osmosis and cleaning technique where the varistream and autobrush have already helped. Ive thought about having a much higher presure but a lower flow. also a thought might be to have a mixture of compressed air and water forced out of the brush might not work but surely worth thinking about.
I'll stop talking drivel now.

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2006, 11:28:09 am »
On a serious  ;) note guys,

Wales has the higest levels of water at 97% of its usual stock for this time of the year.

As a sideline I am willing to start another business PUREWATER 4 U and will sell you water at, shall we say £250 per 1000 lktr tank or....

You could get your ladders out instead - LOL

Only kidding , it could be a serious situation for you guys but I just thought that if you have to resort to using ladders again how would that affect your PL if you have declared the non-use of ladders ?

Just something to think about especially if you have purchased it through Davis Bishops Fed scheme.  Maybe worth you making some enquiries about eh  :)

Sarah
Sarah

AuRavelling79

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2006, 11:53:10 am »
Ok - cost of water on a meter - my ol' mum is on a meter and with vat she is charged £0.87 plus vat per cubic metre (1000 litres) (£1.05 if it's 17.5% or is it less on utilities?)

So for a conservative daily usage of 333 litres from an RO (667 going to drain/waste) that's about a quid. I can afford that!

----------------------------------------------------------

Now - let me tell you about the Snowy Mountains scheme in Sth Australia.

Between 1950 and 1980 they had the foresight to plan for increased water usage in Oz's developed South-East and diverted a whole mountain range of water so that it could be used as needed. They built 100 miles of tunnels theough rock - 80 miles of aquaducts - 17 large dams and a few smaller ones so that reservoirs could be used at different points.

They can divert water from one side of the range to another using the tunnels connecting the  Snowy/Murray river system. A by product is that they were able to produce 4 million kilo-watts of electricity by hydro electric power (supplying a population the size of a city of Birmingham) too.

Some things need to be done on a national scale - and the wetter west can supply the drier east if this kind of plan was done here in Britain.

Grief! London could even pay the Welsh, Scots and Cornish for their water and keep the Celts happy!

Then their is de-salination like what they use on Tenerife to keep a million tourists and ex-pats happy! Don't get me started!
It's a game of three halves!

martyn

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2006, 07:51:18 am »
With regard to the proposed restrictions on wtaer use, and in particular the mention of building and window cleaning.

The Association of Professional Window Cleaners have already openned dialogue with the Chief Executive of the Agency to try and ensure that this does not affect then industry.

A press release has been issued through teh PA to alert the media to the contradictions of the situatoin.

Watch this space?

Paul Coleman

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2006, 08:14:27 am »
On a serious  ;) note guys,

Wales has the higest levels of water at 97% of its usual stock for this time of the year.

As a sideline I am willing to start another business PUREWATER 4 U and will sell you water at, shall we say £250 per 1000 lktr tank or....

You could get your ladders out instead - LOL

Only kidding , it could be a serious situation for you guys but I just thought that if you have to resort to using ladders again how would that affect your PL if you have declared the non-use of ladders ?

Just something to think about especially if you have purchased it through Davis Bishops Fed scheme.  Maybe worth you making some enquiries about eh  :)

Sarah

Joking apart Sarah, if it came to it I would be prepared to drive to an area where the water situation was Ok and fill up my van mount to use for trad cleaning. Due to the distances, obviously it would be impractical to use WFP in such a situation.  A tankful could last weeks if used for trad..  On the other hand, I could always say that I'd got the water from a more plentiful area if asked by some official.

macc

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2006, 07:12:48 pm »
cheers PJ, will do.

gaza

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2006, 08:02:56 pm »
WERE ALRIGHT UP HERE NORTH OF WATFORD GAP,POOR LITTLE SOUTHERNERS ;D

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

macc

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2006, 08:17:22 pm »
 :'(

mark f

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2006, 08:28:19 pm »
Not slating wfp at all but ive always thought it a joke to use the arguement in advertising that wfp is more enviromentally friendly. I think that spraying and wasting hundreds of litres of the most precious substance known to man for his survival is far more detrimental to the enviroment than a squirt of fairy in a bucket!

I know if i felt i couldnt use wfp cos of a water shortage then ladders would be used. 1 bucket of water a day makes far more sense.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2006, 08:46:56 pm »
You only need to use enough. Today I used about 30 litres( 3 buckets ? )
I use pencil micro jets and 1/3rd to 1/2 litre per min. on/off between windows, tops only. Clear consience ?  Maybe,  if I could only work out what to do with the waste water. Suppose we could all but the new Ionics zero gizzmo.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2006, 09:20:15 pm »
Actually you can spray water about till it is coming out of your ears, you are not wasting it in the sense that once used it is gone forever.
It just goes back into the system, and by that of course I mean 'natures' system, not the man made one.
I'm not sure how much water us WFP'ers use in total per day, but the combined leaks that the water companies lose amounts to 3,609megalitres of water per day, that enough to fill 1,443 Olympic size swimming pools, or would supply 11 MILLION homes :o
That is every day guys.
Now that is wastage for you.

Ian

mark f

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2006, 09:34:57 pm »
true Ian that is where the "main" (excuse the joke!) problem lies! But at the start of the year when wfp really took off i had to laugh at the advetising all the wfpers were using with regard to being more enviromentally friendly! A squirt of sensibly chosen soap is far more friendly than all that water. If climate change continues then the public in the same way as they are starting to turn thier noses up at thirsty cars certainly wont appreciate water wasting industry. After all water is so precious, and could become very expensive if the water companies dont get a grip.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2006, 10:19:15 pm »
Mmm, climate change is a moot point, the greenland ice shelf is melting at getting smaller at an  unprecedented rate...but they don't tell you that the ice shelf on Iceland is getting bigger :-\

But we get more than enough water fall out of the skys...we just don't harvest the bloody stuff properly :'(
Building tens of thousands of new homes in the worst affected area in the country might give our lords and masters a little incentive to start doing something about it :o

Ian

neil100

« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2006, 09:49:22 am »
Water Water everywhere.

Our blessed Green Isle in which we live is an Island surrounded by water.

There is more water on this planet then then their is Land Mass.

This country as a water shortage. Why or Why are the water companys not building Desalination plants on the cost. There is not one Desalination plant in the entire country, Even Malta as one, The Cannery Islands have them. But us thick Brits choose not to build them.

The Water boards will force water meters on the public, They will reduce the amount of workers fixing leaks to start installing water meters. Then when the country is on water meters they will start to hike the price up to try to reduce consummer consumption to control supply. They will get increased profits while controlling water  supply without the need to build new Reservoirs or Desalination plants.

So in terms of water useage this country will feel like a third world country while the historic green lawned gardens filled with colourfull plants will be replaced with concrecte patios and loads of plant pots which will make moveing are wfp hoses even more difficult.

Nel.

squeaky-clean 1

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2006, 11:55:12 am »
hi guys

i know we should all be on water meters but i rent my house so cant change the use of property to comercial, so cant have business rates meter.

i have spoken to my water company today who do not have water ban in place but they said i could happen in the summer if the weather stays dry.

they said that if the water was cut off and we had stand pipes it would be at the end of the road,  this means whether you have domestic water meter or commercial water meter you would still loose your water supply.

so how do i stand should i just have domestic meter fitted so that i am at least paying for any water that i do use ,
or should i now try to find premises to rent have business water meter fitted and how as a small domestic business are we going to survive.

we could not go back to just ladders as some of the houses we do can not be cleaned safely trad and windows would be missed (one reason that we got the work in the first place).

i want to do the wright thing i just dont know which way to go .

is it leagle to use domestic supply by meter for wfp.

Belinda
Belinda
the real boss.

DASERVICES

« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2006, 02:53:09 pm »

This is something I would have thought the B.W.C.A would have looked into
  for their members. If industrial companies and farmers had their water cut off
  I'm sure they would be seaking compensation and would get it.

The same should apply to us guys no water, no work, no income therefore
   we should be compensated.

Something maybe the B.W.C.A or the new A.P.W.C should look into, that's
   what they are there for !

Doug

John Conroy

« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2006, 03:07:14 pm »
B.W.C.A does not have members, is a commercial company for ionic, there not our trade body.

John Conroy

« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2006, 03:09:57 pm »
and looking on this tread it seems APWC is looking into this, well they say so.

With regard to the proposed restrictions on wtaer use, and in particular the mention of building and window cleaning.

The Association of Professional Window Cleaners have already openned dialogue with the Chief Executive of the Agency to try and ensure that this does not affect then industry.

A press release has been issued through teh PA to alert the media to the contradictions of the situatoin.

Watch this space?

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2006, 03:18:04 pm »

This is something I would have thought the B.W.C.A would have looked into
 for their members. If industrial companies and farmers had their water cut off
 I'm sure they would be seaking compensation and would get it.

The same should apply to us guys no water, no work, no income therefore
 we should be compensated.

Something maybe the B.W.C.A or the new A.P.W.C should look into, that's
 what they are there for !

Doug

This is something the APWC are looking into,if you look back a few posts you would see this.

We are currently in talks with the Environment Agency and have released a press release via the press agency hilighting the contradictions between the WAHD and a possible water ban.

The APWC will face all issues relating to window cleaning head on.

Thanks

Dave

John Conroy

« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2006, 03:32:09 pm »
A industry going back to ladders wouldn’t the HSE have something to say with regards to there plans of reduction in deaths in working at height? am sure they would be on the side of any trade association so that the safer way of cleaning can still be used.       

martyn

« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2006, 07:07:43 pm »
John Conroy said , and looking on this tread it seems APWC is looking into this, well they say so.

John,

Not only do we say so, but the Agency have replied,
"
Dear Cllr Bolt,
 I can confirm that we are dealing with your request and original note.  We have asked the appropriate department for a draft response to forward to our Chief Executive.
 This is being dealt with through our correspondence system and is still within our deadline for response under our Customer Charter.

We will respond as soon as possible.

Thank you.
Chris
""

The Agency charter says they will respond within 10 working days, so we await their considerred view.

As soon as we know we will let the industry know.

Martyn

Londoner

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2006, 08:39:08 am »
The hosepipe ban is one thing, water meters are another. They said on the radio a couple of times yesterday that the government are going to use the water shortage as an excuse to put in water meters.
Potentially that is a big problem as well.