OVER 11 KILOS LIGHTER!!!
« on: February 19, 2006, 11:03:10 am »
Ello all :)

The only criticism we have ever had about the Freedom Trolley has been its weight. I have never found it to be a problem but it seems that a very few folks have had concerns.

We won't change the quality of steel used or any of the design because it is extremely robust and we want it to last for years. You know what us window cleaners are like.. well this one is anyway.. I want something that will stand up to all sorts of abuse with no problems.

So.. to cut a long story short we have looked very hard and decided that the only way to reduce weight is to go for a slightly less powerfull battery. As standard now it comes with a 60 amp hr battery. Still plenty of power. We have tested it and got 4 days out of it without a recharge. Some will get less.. some more depending on your type of work but still no problem getting a very good days work out of it.

This means it is now over 11 kilos lighter than before as standard. (The new battery even says Freedom on it)  ;D

Cheers all

Andrew

sunshine windows

Re: OVER 11 KILOS LIGHTER!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 11:15:20 am »
Hi Andrew

Just out of curiosity, how many average sized domestic cleans can you get out of the trolley you have pictured.

Thinking of getting a system of some sort but not sure what to go for.

Cheers
Sunshine
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 11:20:03 am »

If you reduce weight in the frame then either cost goes up or the quality and strength reduces.

You could use alluminium but that would increase the cost of production.

Thinner metal but that would compromise strength an durability.

Dave

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 11:29:43 am »
Hiya Sunshine.

This is a question I am always a bit wary of quoting along the lines of "You will get so and so number of houses out of a container" Different people have different work,some like a high flow rate and some a low one etc etc.

What I can tell you is that we do all windows above the ground floor and if they are leaded or georgian we do the whole property because it is wayyy faster and does a better job  on them. We take 10 containers out with us and usually bring one or two back after a full days work That being said you will use more water on your first and probably second time around. Like I always say WFP is just another tool of the trade and like any other you have to use it well to get good results. In our case it has meant that we are now at least 40% faster so it's been a great thing for my window cleaning business.

We do 95% domestic. If yours is mainly commercial I would go for a van mounted tank and work from that. It's all horses for courses I reckon.

Hope this helps

Andrew

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 11:33:18 am »
Hey Dave me ole mate   :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*

Gimme a quick  show at

( Daves lil sideline )   :)

Modified coz it is for my eyes only  :-[

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 11:38:05 am »
Now Now Andrew

That was for your eyes only

sunshine windows

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 12:11:41 pm »
Hi Andrew.

All my work is domestic at the moment, although i would like to get into commercial eventually.

How much would it cost me to be up and running with one of these trolley systems with all the trimmings. Poles, brushes etc.

I think i'm quite slow at cleaning windows traditionally anyway so would like to use a system that has the capacity to clean all day tops and bottoms. Would this be possible or would it involve the use of far too much water?

I take it i'd still need to invest in a van to transport the thing to jobs. Working off a roof rack on my car for the time being.

Cheers
Sunshine
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

stevef

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 12:25:31 pm »
Andrew
I have sent an email via the freedom site

Steve

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 12:52:40 pm »
OK Steve..  I will have a look in the morning.

Sunshine. You can work from a car but it really isn't ideal. A small van or an estate car is far better.

I would say that around £1100 will get you on the road with all the gear you need. Really all you need other than what we supply as standard are the containers and a holding tank for your pure water and a few bits and bobs.

15 containers should be see you through a full days work on all windows. You won't be able to carry that amount in a normal car. There are some who work from hatchbacks and do only tops and leaded and gorgian as we do and find it is fine for them

Hope this helps

Andrew

sunshine windows

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 01:00:17 pm »
Thanks Andrew,

Very useful info. Do you know of anyone in or around the Swindon area that has any of the systems you supply. If so do you think it would be possible for me to have a day out on the job with them to get a better idea of what these machines are capable of

Cheers,
Sunshine
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 01:06:26 pm »
Ok Sunshine.

I will check tomorrow. I thnk that we are shipping one out to Swindon this week.

I will have a word wth the customer and ask him for you. He is a good guy so I can't see any probs but can't promise. Just thought... at least you will be able to see what it's like for a newbie to WFP  ;D  Warts and all!!!

Cheers

Andrew

By the way Sunshine...  I have sent you an email.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 02:36:02 pm »
Ello all :)

The only criticism we have ever had about the Freedom Trolley has been its weight. I have never found it to be a problem but it seems that a very few folks have had concerns.

We won't change the quality of steel used or any of the design because it is extremely robust and we want it to last for years. You know what us window cleaners are like.. well this one is anyway.. I want something that will stand up to all sorts of abuse with no problems.

So.. to cut a long story short we have looked very hard and decided that the only way to reduce weight is to go for a slightly less powerfull battery. As standard now it comes with a 60 amp hr battery. Still plenty of power. We have tested it and got 4 days out of it without a recharge. Some will get less.. some more depending on your type of work but still no problem getting a very good days work out of it.

This means it is now over 11 kilos lighter than before as standard. (The new battery even says Freedom on it)  ;D

Cheers all

Andrew

Sounds like the sort of diet I could do with   :)

brett walker

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2006, 02:45:47 pm »
Has anyone who has complained about the trolley being too heavy actually used one?  As i dont find it heavy myself

But i did get a years free supply of spinich ;D

Brett

brett walker

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2006, 02:56:29 pm »
Hi Andrew

You will be getting a call from a new member of the forum from Nottingham re: the trolley.

He emailed me with interest in lookng at mine so i went over to his house today and met up with him.  I took the trolley also my backpack gave him a demo on both,  he much prefered the trolley ;) and found that lifting it was no problem.  8)

I have told him i am no expert at wfp i got all my knowledge from the forum and he should put any questions no matter what they are to the guys here.  His name is Cvet he's a great guy, i dont think he'll need any spinich ;D

regards

Brett

williamx

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2006, 03:08:28 pm »
Hi Andrew

Just out of curiosity, how many average sized domestic cleans can you get out of the trolley you have pictured.

Thinking of getting a system of some sort but not sure what to go for.

Cheers
Sunshine

I have found that I use the following amonts of water, I use a 100 psi pump and the flow rate is set on full, I also clean every window, facia and frames plus the front and back doors if they have glass in them or are upc.

Terrace houses

1st clean 20-25 litres
2nd clean 15-20 litres

Semis
1st clean 25-30 litres
2nd clean 20-25 litres

Detached
1st clean 50-75 litres
2nd clean 25-35 litres

Farm Houses/Country Houses
1st Clean 50-100 litres
2nd Clean 35-65 litres

If you are doing builder cleans then the water rate can go up to 4-5 times as normal.

These figures are varable as some glass cleans easier than others.

H h20

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2006, 05:12:14 pm »
Andrew have you thought about not adding the varistream to shed some more weight it may not be that heavy but the more you can ditch the better,i think it is an optional extra you should tell your client,not all wfpers use them i don`t and never will,just a suggestion,keep up the good work though,Gaz  ;)

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2006, 06:01:00 pm »
Cheers Brett

You are a diamond mate  :)

Gaz.  No offence meant at all but we consider the Varistream as essential. It is just such a usefull thing to have and it weighs next to nothing. I used to wonder what all the fuss was about until I had the varistream fitted to one of the prototype trollies. Then I realised as I used it. OK it costs a few quid and without it we could sell the trolley cheaper but honestly we woudn't want to.  Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Andrew

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2006, 08:00:13 pm »
Has anyone who has complained about the trolley being too heavy actually used one?  As i dont find it heavy myself

But i did get a years free supply of spinich ;D

Brett

I pulled a Freedom trolley on Saturday morning and it was like lugging a Bantam Weight boxer around on a sack truck.

I think 11 kg lighter would be a big improvement.  That's over a third lighter than it's current weight.

However, the guy who owned the trolley said he's extremely happy with his purchase.  (The guy cleans most of the houses where I live and had been skiiing for a week; then ill for a week; so was working Saturday to catch up).

Also:

To Brett,

I'm not critisizing Andrew, in fact he's getting some good publicity here. 

I remember Peter Fogwill fighting his corner over his Salmon Brush, and after reading his well explained post, Peter probably sold a few more of 'em!

brett walker

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2006, 09:19:39 pm »
Tosh

no critizum taken weve all got our own views, i can see why you like the backpack i still do use mine on some work, now ive got the van i'll be able to take more water with me.  I'll be using it more on the hard to reach work, like you say you can put enough water in to carry over garage roofs and through houses etc. 8)

regards

Brett

H h20

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2006, 09:25:00 pm »
Brett,now you`ve got a van i guarantee you will get a tank fitted soon with a hose reel,and you can use your freedom trolley in the van to run it,it`s a similar set up to mine but i built my own trolley,best of both worlds,Gaz ;)

brett walker

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2006, 10:04:59 pm »
Brett,now you`ve got a van i guarantee you will get a tank fitted soon with a hose reel,and you can use your freedom trolley in the van to run it,it`s a similar set up to mine but i built my own trolley,best of both worlds,Gaz ;)

cheers gaz  ;)

brett