*paul_moss

Glides
« on: March 04, 2008, 08:02:48 pm »
What do you find best for sealing your glide onto your wand?

I have tried  lots of different silicone and gasket sealers, but none seam to last longer than a few months/weeks  >:(.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

Ken Wainwright

Re: Glides
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 08:20:59 pm »
Ditto here Paul.

The Americans recommend a product called, I think, Gloop. Never been able to source it though.

Household silicone type seals are only temporary.

The closest I've got to any reasonable degree of success is with Fernox LSX, you'll find it in the plumbing section of B&Q etc. It's a silicone seal in a toothpaste size tube (yellow box) much better than the other stuff.  There is also a black silicone used on caravans which is better too.

I have found that because of the shape and design, a genuine GreenGlide on my Westpac keeps the sealant "protected" better from wet-abrasion wear and tear. So far it's proved to be well sealed for 4 months without problem. My previous glide lost the seal on the edges in less than a week :(

The other alternative is to attach your wand to a 2" hose. At the other end attach a Boxxer 427. You wont need a sealant then ;D

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 08:23:16 pm »
Don't forget the 2.5" vac pipe.

Shaun

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 08:30:50 pm »
Sorry Shaun

The 2.5" hose comes between the 2" hose and the 427. Unless of course you're running 4 to the door 8)

Safe and happy sealing :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

*paul_moss

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 08:36:59 pm »
Mine held on fine but I was getting plssed off with the lines left so I dremeled my glides to give them a wider mouth with no intersections, they work better but dont hold on as well.
My Panther has the same 45 blower as the boxxer but I still want a good sealant to stop the chatter. :-*
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

mark_roberts

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 09:53:22 pm »
The glide seal with this new green wand is rubbish esp at the ends.

I reckon I'll need concrete to fill the gap.

Mark

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 09:58:43 pm »
Mark which one are you? can't you change your profile?

Shaun

carpet_care

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 10:05:53 pm »
Ken the products called goop I have still got a bit left from my origional glide I got off greenie afew years back .

Only had to use it once on each glide he sent a tube out with my first glide but the next one came through hydramaster without the tube of goop .

Dont kmow if its any use but the website on the tube is www.amazinggoop.com

Regards Andy Locke.

Dave Roelants

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 10:07:15 pm »
Shaun, any idea who was the first person to use a glide in the UK? :o ;D

Ken the product you're thinking of is goop, I stock up on it when I go out to the States as I've never found it here.

Gorilla glue is the thing to seal cuffs to hoses, expands as it dries and is waterproof.
Best Regards, Dave,
Lakeland Carpet Cleaning, 1st in the UK with 4 to the door!

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 10:10:34 pm »
I was never going to mention it......honest ;D

Dave nice to talk briefly did you enjoy your tea? the price you gave me did it include tanks if you can remember?

Shaun

Dave Roelants

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 10:18:00 pm »
Waste tank, 150ft hose and wand, fitting, astroturf and jacket.

Freshwater tank and hose reels extra
Best Regards, Dave,

Joe H

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 07:51:43 am »
Gorilla glue is the thing to seal cuffs to hoses, expands as it dries and is waterproof.
Dave
I was thinking of Gorilla glue yesterday when I say this thread
but
can you get the glide off and clean up when it has worn ..... what do you think?

Gorilla do a tape as well which is good. Sourced from TV shopping channals or cheaper on Ebay

MCS

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 04:25:35 pm »
 These glide attachments must be a pain if  they keep coming of  saying that the pain in my arms are getting worse after a long days work so would appreciate anything that would aid a easyer life.

So you guys who use glides what kind of benefits do these glides have ?

any links to suppliers ?

stevegunn

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 05:02:39 pm »
These glide attachments must be a pain if  they keep coming of  saying that the pain in my arms are getting worse after a long days work so would appreciate anything that would aid a easyer life.

So you guys who use glides what kind of benefits do these glides have ?

any links to suppliers ?

Hydramaster the only way to go genuine greenglides,had the cheaper ones which don't work as well

Glynn

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 05:06:11 pm »
The "only" adhesive worth using on teflon is Goop.
Although a greenglide should fit the wand perfectly and doesn't usually need any additional sealing.
Regards
Glynn

mark_roberts

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 06:57:07 pm »
Glynn - maybe mines a dud but theres a sizable gap at each end.

Shaun - there Ive added a signature will that keep you happy??

Mark

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008, 07:22:39 pm »
WHY WHY WHY When i spent £99 + p&p + vat don't hydramaster supply or ask if you want the goop. They should stock it IF they stock the glides shouldn't they??

CHEERS TONY
STAY YOUNG HAVE FUN BE HAPPY xx
www.carpetcleanersbridlington.co.uk

Bennie25

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2008, 07:31:51 pm »
Had a couple of Green glides, I was impressed with the fit, its EXACT, to less than a mm, therefore never found any adheasive nessacery, this is how it should be i understand.

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2008, 07:36:46 pm »
Yeh sorry i should have said mine fits great without any sealant goop glue or whatever the point i was making is if you do need it the company supplying the glides should be able to accomadate you.

CHEERS TONY ::) ::) ::)

*paul_moss

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2008, 08:10:24 pm »
Mine fit perect too , but I have altered them for better air flow,by doing this has made them looser so I need something to hold em down. Just ordered some Gorilla tape and glue so will try that.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

Bennie25

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2008, 08:28:58 pm »
stuff some news paper in there,

that'll look good ;D

Dave Roelants

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2008, 11:04:11 pm »
Lets be quite clear here, we're not talking about gluing a glide to the wand here, it 's not necessary. Were talking about sealing. A Greenglide will fit a new wand perfectly, it may not fit perfectly to the wand you've cleaned 100sq. miles of carpet with, run over nails and doorbars and reversed over with your van.Goop is a great sealant but not that good a glue. Gorrilla is a good glue but not a good sealant
To reiterate:-

Sealing glides to wands  GOOP

glueing hose cuffs to hoses  GORILLA GLUE
Best Regards, Dave,

*paul_moss

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2008, 11:08:40 pm »
Dave im going to mix them both together.
Does any body want to buy any gorillagoop ;D
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

Jeff Lydon/Greenie

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2008, 12:12:52 am »
Sure glad I read this.

Paul, don't modify anything, if you are not happy with the "look" of a Hybrid, it's GreenGlides policy to Exchange your Glide for a Slot or Hole glide of your choice, Free of charge.

So send me an email and I will ensure you receive the glide you want, our guarantee is unlimited so it matters not that you modified yours, I guarantee you will be happy with one of the other designs as this is probably what you are after with your mods....only you won't have to compromise structural integrity in the pursuit of perfection.

Mark Although the Glides "generally fit like a glove, there is some variance in the welding of the stainless steel, so a lil' dab of GOOP on the corners will ensure you are good to go, I will send you some today, just email me an address.  Now that said, to be perfectly honest a small "trickle" of airflow on each corner of the wand will not effect extraction with a TM, now I said trickle not a LEAK!

So....how much is OK and how much demands a bit of sealer?

Judge by your extraction, as long as you are recovering well you leak is not a leak.  BUT if you are leaving wetter carpets, you now know what to do, so get er' done!

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2008, 06:48:37 am »
JEFF.
Where can i buy some goop hydramaster don't stock it although that's who i just bought the glide of anthony.gill7@tiscali.co.uk
mine is used on portie

CHEERS TONY

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2008, 09:07:18 pm »
Thanks Jeff

*paul_moss

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2008, 09:47:28 pm »
Jeff I have 3 glides. Started off with slotted then bought a holed one then a hybrid.
Its not a case of they were not any good they are all good and do what they say on the tin  ;)I just like playing around with things so sorry to have butchered your master pieces  :'(.

I have removed all the joins along the mouth of the gide and opened it up wider so its the same width as the wand mouth. It sucks more now but still a lot easier to move along the carpet than with out a glide. Because I have opened it up more it has loosened its grip on the wand as it did not need any adhesion before.Any way I have put the gorilla glue on it and its done the trick by the looks of things, see how it is in a few months.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

Jeff Lydon/Greenie

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2008, 09:52:01 pm »
Goop goes out on monday, HM will have it in stock.

So....you removed all the "bridges" that give the slot glide support?
Bet she grabs harder now...lol
It'll probably flex like mad, so have fun with it as long as you know what you are doing I will sleep better now.

*paul_moss

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2008, 10:07:17 pm »
Goop goes out on monday, HM will have it in stock.

So....you removed all the "bridges" that give the slot glide support?
Bet she grabs harder now...lol
It'll probably flex like mad, so have fun with it as long as you know what you are doing I will sleep better now.

When I first did it, the wand sucked harder than it did minus the glide  :o, stuck to the carpet.
But I also reshaped the angle of the back lip by sanding this relieved the airflow and now its a good un  ;)
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

garyj

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2008, 10:18:12 pm »
Id like to give Glides a go, but how will they help on a 135 Ninja. The jets on the supplied wand are a mile away from the carpet as they are, let alone adding another couple of inches.

As the work comes in more each week I am thinking of a new machine already. The Ninja comes with a pipe to empty the clean water tank, I was really surprised just how slow the water comes out, it does seem a lot weaker than my old Pro Plus.

*paul_moss

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2008, 10:33:17 pm »
Gary they will just make life a bit easier for you when wanding, especially on large areas. You should get some performance increase as well just depends on which wand your using.
They only increase the height by about 1/4 inch so that should not cause you to much trouble even with a 135 psi pump, like every thing else you just have to try them,some love them some hate em.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk