liahona

Re: Rug cleaning
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 08:19:19 pm »
Gary, each rug is different as to if you use the air on both sides.  The rug in the pictures I posted is a Turkish rug  and would need both sides doing.  Although the back wouldnt need as much for obvious reasons.

The rug Chris has shown has a latex backing so I would avoid forcing air from the back as it would force the already falling apart latex into the "knots" of the rug making the cleaning more difficult.

You can use just air as a tool to clean with too.  Many people are scared to clean pure and or raw silk rugs or textiles as they dont want to get them wet.  If you soak them in alcohol, wet solvents or anything similar, then force the air through them the textile will not only clean very well but also dry very fast. 

Remember more damage can be done in the drying speed or lack of to a textile than the cleaning.

If you ever get into cleaning textiles on site at a museum then forced air cleaning is usually the norm.

Best, Dave.

P.S.  You can split the hose if you like and have two guns a blazing.

colin thomas

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 09:27:11 pm »
just out of interest dave, how long does it take to air-clean the average rug, that's a small nozzle for a 4' x 8' rug

colin
colin thomas

liahona

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008, 10:16:29 pm »
Colin.  A few variables in the question but anyway here goes.

A Tibetan rug is so thick that forcing air through it isnt very successful.

A silk rug too clean properly is a must to use air.

So it depends on the textile you are working on as to how long it will take.  It also depends on how fussy you are with what you do.

The Turkish rugs in the photos took me about an hour each to use air to remove the dry soil.  There were 4 to do and maybe approx 100 sq feet in all.  It then took me an hour to clean them.  Maybe a little longer.

So an 8 by 4 in this instance would take maybe an hour and a half.

If you are just cleaning "while you are there" or not charging that high then I wouldnt suggest using air.  If you are charging well for what you are doing or cleaning silk then I would strongly suggest using air.

The results are superb.  There is no comparison. 

Hope this helps,  best, Dave.

robert stubbs

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2008, 10:21:04 pm »
Alan Brookers Rug badgerette