*paul_moss

Rug cleaning
« on: January 14, 2008, 10:57:36 pm »
With more and more customers having rugs due to laminate flooring over the past few years.
I find I can end up doing as many as 15 some weeks, I also clean them off site.

Has any body else had an increase in the last year or so?
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

Joe H

Re: Rug cleaning
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 11:04:45 pm »
With me its the smallish rugs by the fire and the custo saying and while your here can you..."
but beginning to appreciate the value of being able to take them away - which I cant do as I have no garage.

Jason Hedges

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 11:25:25 pm »
I'm the same as Joe, no off site cleaning facility and loads of 'while you're here...'.

No noticeable increase in enquiries.

from edge2edge

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 07:50:19 am »
Guys what chemicals/procedure do you use most for rug cleaning.Any tips appreciated as i am going into more private work after years manly doing commercial stuff.Cheers Alan(Swindon)

liahona

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 08:00:21 am »
Alan, you dont live very far from me.  If or when you next get a rug to do I will come up and do it for you if you like.  Other than that, look back through the posts on here and you will find your questions already answered.

Best, Dave.

mark shannon

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 08:45:49 am »
With me its the smallish rugs by the fire and the custo saying and while your here can you..."
but beginning to appreciate the value of being able to take them away - which I cant do as I have no garage.

SAME HERE :(

*paul_moss

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 09:56:36 am »
Dave L we will have to get the guys together for a rug day.

Do it at your place or mine when the weather picks up ( I was thinking of doing one anyway)

See what the interest is like first.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

from edge2edge

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 10:18:44 am »
Dave that would be much appreciated i will contact you when i have one to do.

Steve Chapman

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 01:23:37 pm »
we doing around 10 rugs a week most weeks, and have a workshop so makes it

far easier, normally a weeks turnaround which means we collect them thru the

week and do them in one hit 1 day a week. - it's the only way to make it

profitable,  but i would say its worth doing, about 50% of our work after

christmas has been rugs.

regards
steve

garyj

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 01:30:03 pm »
Someone on here made there own Rug Beater, can't find it now.

Any ideas who it was and how it performed??

Get emails from the Rug Hub and do look in every now and then, but while Im sure they're a good bit of kit it seems expensive.

Joe H

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 01:46:45 pm »
A thread started by Alan Brooker 29th Novemeber with a photo of a machine he made himself.... is that the one your looking for?

*paul_moss

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 04:02:54 pm »
Alan converted a Kirby hoover, when I get a chance and the weather is better i might try it too.
Gary the Rug Badger is aroung £3000 I think.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

liahona

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 04:48:43 pm »
Paul, I am game if you are.  Maybe those with 20 years experience of everything would rather do it.  But if not then again I am up to it.

We could clean a few for people and then they could take them home and dry them.

I would exclude some rugs though but we can go into that as or if needed.

Best, Dave.

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 05:23:12 pm »

Dave

Can you tell us a bit more about air dusting? Is this a more realistic option for removing dry soil than spending 3k on a Badger.

How beefy does the compressor have to be and did you ever get one of those dusting wands?

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 05:41:24 pm »
Gary the Rug Badger is aroung £3000 I think.

Saw this at the last carpet Cleaners day out.
A few of us joked that we hope we didn't win it (there was a raffle) as you would need a Ford Transit to carry it around, and 3 people to lift it in and out of the vehicle.
Best suited to dedicated rug cleaners with premises to boot.

garyj

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 06:16:15 pm »
A thread started by Alan Brooker 29th Novemeber with a photo of a machine he made himself.... is that the one your looking for?

Thats the one thanks.

Looks like an Iraqi torture device  :-\

liahona

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 06:21:55 pm »
Mike,  air dusting is simply forcing air into a textile to remove the dry soil.  Sometimes although rare I would vac a rug first but forced air will always remove more than any vac will do, badger included.

A badger is far easier to use than forcing air but too much money for what it does.  Having said that, if you arent going to saturate or immerse clean then they would be of use.  But still not as good as forced air, just easier to use.

With the type of cleaning that I do even without vacing most if not all the dry soil and any type of soiling is removed in the clean.  

No I didnt get the air wand but my next visit to the states I will remedy that.

Maybe get a few of them if others need them.

Standard wands too for that matter.

As to the compressor.  Well contrary to popular belief, the bigger the better as you get through a lot of air very quickly.  I use 2 compressors so one is always on charge.  Get a big one anyway so you can use it for other things too.

Having said all this, there is nothing better than a good dusting machine.  Only I have never seen one in this country and the one I used in the states costs many thousands.  It will de-dust till every bit of dust has gone.  At least the particles that can move have gone.

Best, Dave.

garyj

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 07:19:17 pm »
I've never even heard of air-dusting! But it makes sense. It's one of those 'it's so obvious why didn't I think of it' cases.

Do you blast front and back or does it just need the front doing and anything loose gets fired away anyway.

At least it's big and noisy and comes with a gun, I want one  ;D

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 07:31:38 pm »
Always recall the shock when i was first shown to vacuum a rug face down before cleaning  :o

liahona

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 08:19:19 pm »
Gary, each rug is different as to if you use the air on both sides.  The rug in the pictures I posted is a Turkish rug  and would need both sides doing.  Although the back wouldnt need as much for obvious reasons.

The rug Chris has shown has a latex backing so I would avoid forcing air from the back as it would force the already falling apart latex into the "knots" of the rug making the cleaning more difficult.

You can use just air as a tool to clean with too.  Many people are scared to clean pure and or raw silk rugs or textiles as they dont want to get them wet.  If you soak them in alcohol, wet solvents or anything similar, then force the air through them the textile will not only clean very well but also dry very fast. 

Remember more damage can be done in the drying speed or lack of to a textile than the cleaning.

If you ever get into cleaning textiles on site at a museum then forced air cleaning is usually the norm.

Best, Dave.

P.S.  You can split the hose if you like and have two guns a blazing.

colin thomas

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 09:27:11 pm »
just out of interest dave, how long does it take to air-clean the average rug, that's a small nozzle for a 4' x 8' rug

colin
colin thomas

liahona

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008, 10:16:29 pm »
Colin.  A few variables in the question but anyway here goes.

A Tibetan rug is so thick that forcing air through it isnt very successful.

A silk rug too clean properly is a must to use air.

So it depends on the textile you are working on as to how long it will take.  It also depends on how fussy you are with what you do.

The Turkish rugs in the photos took me about an hour each to use air to remove the dry soil.  There were 4 to do and maybe approx 100 sq feet in all.  It then took me an hour to clean them.  Maybe a little longer.

So an 8 by 4 in this instance would take maybe an hour and a half.

If you are just cleaning "while you are there" or not charging that high then I wouldnt suggest using air.  If you are charging well for what you are doing or cleaning silk then I would strongly suggest using air.

The results are superb.  There is no comparison. 

Hope this helps,  best, Dave.

robert stubbs

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2008, 10:21:04 pm »
Alan Brookers Rug badgerette