nextline cleaning

is this true?
« on: September 26, 2005, 06:46:55 pm »
My chemical supplier told me never to clean wool carpets with hot water as this will make them shrink. So i only use warm water but have to go over them a second time to get them clean.
Can anyone confirm that he is right.

Thanks.
Newbie, but learning.
Nextline Group Cardiff

Re: is this true?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 08:10:22 pm »
Hi Newbie

The correct temperature with the correct technique will not shrink a wool carpet, I would suggest you talk to some other chemical suppliers. What trainig have you completed before cleaning, If you haven't then make sure you invest in sitting a good course. most if not all reputable suppliers operateetrianing courses, ort you could sit the NCCA course, it will not be money wasted.

Hope this helps
Best regards Nick

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 04:32:33 am »
Does anyone know where and when The next Woolsafe courses are being held

Doug Holloway

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 11:57:38 am »
Hi Newbie,

No it is not true .

Many CC's especially the truckmount boys will blast dirty pub carpets with very hot water.

It is the hessian backing which shrinks if it becomes too wet so control of water volume is more important than temperature , in terms of shrinkage.

Cheers,

Doug

rodcope

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 01:35:25 pm »
Correct Doug ----it is the expansion of the jute weft when it absorbs water that causes woven carpets to shrink. The cotton or polyproplyene chains or warps have to travel further around the increased diameter of the---- jute shrinking the carpet in its length. Nothing to do with the water temperature, more the amount of water put onto the carpet and how long it is left before vacuuming up.

nextline cleaning

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 10:45:40 pm »
Thanks guys, sounds like i was doing the reverse of what i should.
No more double cleaning for me then.
I guess a little more time prespraying and scrubbing will reduce the need for loads of passes with the wand. Hopefully this will reduce the amount of water i going into the carpet.

Regards
Nextline Group Cardiff