geefree

Shurflo problem
« on: June 26, 2018, 08:38:59 pm »
Hi all.. haven't posted on here for such a long time..  so goid to he back lol but I need your  advice on my pump running at full pelt
I have a Shurflo 100 psi pump  but I'm going through pressure switches like sweets.. the Allen key adjuster doesn't do anything..I have checked for a puntured diaphram all seems OK. ..
But the pump is working on full power that means everything is backing up and blowing connectors.
It's about six months old.. my previous pump lasted 8 years...
My question is does anyone know why the Allen key adjustment screw has no effect at all. So I can fix or buy a new part..
I'm baffled .
Many thanks.

Spruce

Re: Shurflo problem
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 10:03:03 pm »
Hi all.. haven't posted on here for such a long time..  so goid to he back lol but I need your  advice on my pump running at full pelt
I have a Shurflo 100 psi pump  but I'm going through pressure switches like sweets.. the Allen key adjuster doesn't do anything..I have checked for a puntured diaphram all seems OK. ..
But the pump is working on full power that means everything is backing up and blowing connectors.
My question is does anyone know why the Allen key adjustment screw has no effect at all. So I can fix or buy a new part..
I'm baffled .
Many thanks.

I sounds as though you have a fused pressure switch (the contacts have fused together.)

There was a cheap pressure switch available from Maplins when they were still trading, but they were rated at 6amp where the original Shurflo pump pressure switch was rated at 15 amps. (A Shurflo pump can draw up to 8 amps so the Maplin replacement will never perform for long.)

The other issue is that if you aren't using a controller, reducing the pressure with that adjusting screw is going to make the pump cycle on and off more often. This will further exacerbate the failure rate of the under rated switch.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

P @ F

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 10:19:58 pm »
I had this a while back , it turned out to be the pressure switch , the push  in/out button bit seized up for some reason , i used a tiny bit of dry ptfe spray to free it up .
Not saying its you're prob for definate , but well worth a check !

I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Ian Sheppard

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 08:01:18 am »
I'm baffled .
Many thanks.

I sounds as though you have a fused pressure switch (the contacts have fused together.)

There was a cheap pressure switch available from Maplins when they were still trading, but they were rated at 6amp where the original Shurflo pump pressure switch was rated at 15 amps. (A Shurflo pump can draw up to 8 amps so the Maplin replacement will never perform for long.)

The other issue is that if you aren't using a controller, reducing the pressure with that adjusting screw is going to make the pump cycle on and off more often. This will further exacerbate the failure rate of the under rated switch.

Running flat out the pump is drawing close to its maximum current rating. As the pressure switch opens there is high conductive load Stored energy)  across the contacts of the pressure switch this energy dissipates by arching across the contacts and burns them out. As Spruce has mentioned fitting the correctly rated pressure switch will help. A controller is designed to switch the pump well before the PS has to open. 

Another factor here is that running the pump flat out does not increase flow to the brush. This is because the hose has a finite capacity to carry water, Once this capacity is reached the pump is in effect working against itself. In past testing I have found running a pump flat out using a 100 metres of  8mm ID hose produces 2.6LPM at the brush, The pumps draw almost 8 amps and pressure was 80 PSI.
Using a controller set at a flow rate of 60, The flow rate was the same 2.6LPM, Current draw though fell to 4 amps and pressure was 50 PSI.

V16 Is Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AhbZirSlpI&t=8s
Polarity Protect technology

Missing Link

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 08:26:16 am »
Does anyone know where to get the pressure switches from now Maplins has finished?

I'd like to get a spare.
Pronouns She/Her/Madam/Ma'am

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 04:27:08 pm »
Does anyone know where to get the pressure switches from now Maplins has finished?

I'd like to get a spare.

It looks as though it could be one of these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331569818978

XV15 1C25 Pin Plunger. They have the size at the bottom of the 'page'.; 27.8x10.3x15.9mm so probably best to check with an old one before ordering.

This Ebay seller is also selling one but he doesn't say what amperage it is.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100psi-Shurflo-Pressure-Switch-Replacement-switch-Water-Fed-Pole/273311727540?hash=item3fa2a5ffb4:g:06wAAOSwqu9VBY3B

GW71N still brings up a couple of 'hits' on a Google search.

P @ F

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 06:30:22 pm »
Looking at the pics i think it could be the XV15 1C25 instead , the straight terminal pin on the XV15 1A25 is positioned lower down !

I have an original shurflo switch in the spares box , i will get a pic and measure the little blighter

P @ F

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 06:39:35 pm »
Weird , just looked again and they have 2 different XV15 1C25 switches , 1 has 3 pins , the other has 2 ???

P @ F

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 06:56:10 pm »
Here is the original , the measurments are bang on with the ebay job , and the original switch is made by OMRON in Japan

Spruce

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 06:59:27 pm »
Weird , just looked again and they have 2 different XV15 1C25 switches , 1 has 3 pins , the other has 2 ???

I think they have the variant and the photo mixed up. I went by the photo and then typed the link which is wrong. I didn't notice the difference until you pointed it out.

Spruce

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 07:09:26 pm »
Omron V15 2C26K. Not any UK suppliers - they all seem to be US based.

P @ F

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 07:15:30 pm »
Varitech sell them as a complete unit , a snip at £28+vat  :o :o :o

CleanClear

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 08:09:41 pm »
"Standard Micro Switches", and thats what they are, are all the same size.
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

P @ F

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 09:13:42 pm »
Just come across this , listing sounds a bit vague but who knows , any of you rich chaps want to order one and find out  ;D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MICROSWITCH-PIN-PLUNGER-SPST-NC-15A-250V-NWK-PN-V-15-2C26-K/272876781521?hash=item3f88b93fd1:g:1CIAAOSwP4ZZ16R6

Spruce

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2018, 08:00:22 am »
Just come across this , listing sounds a bit vague but who knows , any of you rich chaps want to order one and find out  ;D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MICROSWITCH-PIN-PLUNGER-SPST-NC-15A-250V-NWK-PN-V-15-2C26-K/272876781521?hash=item3f88b93fd1:g:1CIAAOSwP4ZZ16R6

Thats the identical switch. I would recommend anyone not using a controller to save the switch by wiring in a 30amp headlamp relay and using the pressure switch to activate the relay rather than power the pump.

Here's an example
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30Amp-12V-Heavy-Duty-4-Pin-Changeover-Relay-Prewired-Base-Automotive-Car-Bike/361491033879?epid=1758357869&hash=item542a8b6f17:g:lI8AAOSw~kJah6GG

A 5 pin relay is more popular. It will also work but pin/terminal 87a wouldn't be used.

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2018, 08:29:12 am »

Thats the identical switch. I would recommend anyone not using a controller to save the switch by wiring in a 30amp headlamp relay and using the pressure switch to activate the relay rather than power the pump.

Here's an example
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30Amp-12V-Heavy-Duty-4-Pin-Changeover-Relay-Prewired-Base-Automotive-Car-Bike/361491033879?epid=1758357869&hash=item542a8b6f17:g:lI8AAOSw~kJah6GG

A 5 pin relay is more popular. It will also work but pin/terminal 87a wouldn't be used.

I’ve done this as I only use a plain PWM controller with no CAL feature.  I was going through one micro switch every two months. Not with a Sureflo but a pump with the same type of pressure switch.  Since doing the mod with the relay last autumn I haven’t had to replace the micro switch.
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

P @ F

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2018, 09:20:57 am »
I have recently done the same as you M&C with the PWM , sounds like i need to do the relay bit , how and where does it wire in please ?

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2018, 02:05:53 pm »
I have recently done the same as you M&C with the PWM , sounds like i need to do the relay bit , how and where does it wire in please ?

This is how to wire it with a PWM controller. Well it's the way I did it following recommendations on here

This is how to wire it without a controller
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

P @ F

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2018, 03:23:44 pm »
Thanks very much for that M&C , will look into it , my wiring is done a bit different to that as i have solar charge controllers in the system too !
The last thing i want to do is blow the solar bits up , i would rather blow up pressure switches to be honest !
That said i have not had a pressure switch burn out yet in 13 years !!!

Missing Link

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2018, 07:39:45 pm »

I'd like to get a spare.

It looks as though it could be one of these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331569818978

XV15 1C25 Pin Plunger. They have the size at the bottom of the 'page'.; 27.8x10.3x15.9mm so probably best to check with an old one before ordering.

This Ebay seller is also selling one but he doesn't say what amperage it is.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100psi-Shurflo-Pressure-Switch-Replacement-switch-Water-Fed-Pole/273311727540?hash=item3fa2a5ffb4:g:06wAAOSwqu9VBY3B

GW71N still brings up a couple of 'hits' on a Google search.

I just want to say "Thanks". 

I ordered a couple of them and last week the pressure switch went; it took about 20 minutes to replace (it's very simple, even a Geordie can do it) and I had minimal downtime.

Thanks, Spruce.
Pronouns She/Her/Madam/Ma'am