Jakki

false accusations
« on: April 08, 2012, 12:20:10 pm »
Hi, i run an ironing and cleaning company. A client I iron for has said she hasnt had back a pair of trousers that I ironed for her.
I checked my whole house and rang my other clients incase they had got mixed up (even though Im very thorough so that wouldnt happen) and they have not appeared which says to me that I never received the trousers in the first place. I have explained this to the client and said aswell that the amount of hangers she gave me tallied up to the amount of items so I am not accepting responsibility for something I havnt done.
I been very polite and tried to help where i can but she will not accept this. She is saying she is out of pocket and wants to claim on insurance etc etc. Where do I stand as I know I havnt done anything wrong and I dont want her to ruin my business by making false claims.
please please help someone! i have never been so stressed about a pair of trousers before! ??? what are the best options for me?

George P

Re: false accusations
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 12:41:18 pm »
if shes a good client, i would offer to replace without admitting liabillity for the loss, saying something like although i dont believe i had them, as a good will gesture i will replace, and in future maybe have items counted and logged with client,

MJMR

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 06:25:37 pm »
As George says if she is a good / worthwhile customer then replace the trousers for her as a good will gesture and make as a lesson for future.
Do you not charge per item? so on your records have the ammount of items from her on last service?
Also before paying out find out if trousers are over priced or from say Harrods...... could just be trying it on! As surely a pair of trousers need'nt dent your insurance! 

cml

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 08:17:43 am »
Hi

Some further advice.  Before doing anything do a inventory of goods received and get client to sign before works go ahead.  That what it serves as a check and balance to goods received and return.

As for the case in point.  If you did you the work at the client premises,   the only one working and you were sure you had not misplaced  them you should not admit to something you are certain you did not do.

On the otherhand if works were removed from premises to your location and you had other members of staff working on your clients property  or indeed yourself then you may find yourself liable for lost property on behalf of your workers or accept the fact that you may have misplaced them.  But before just giving away your hard earnt cash ask how long did client have these trousers, cost (possible receipts if fairly new), before offering a replacement.  If they are an old pair of trouser you may want to purchase a similar .