lal

Window Cracked on Conservatory this morning
« on: January 24, 2020, 03:41:32 pm »

A regular customer of 4 years asked me to clean windows on another house she plans on selling,
long story short, starting cleaning conservatory at back of house, on the 1st window, then bang, the window cracked
from left to right, i couldn't understand it, i hardly touched it, called the woman out to show her, she then comes out
with that she had a guy around recently to power wash the PVC on the Con, because it was in a bad way, i said a pressure
washer shouldn't be used on a Con, because its to powerful, and has probably weakend the glass, anyway she says i should
claim it off my insurance,  any advice or views on this would be appreciated.
Larry

Splash & dash

Re: Window Cracked on Conservatory this morning
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 03:46:06 pm »

A regular customer of 4 years asked me to clean windows on another house she plans on selling,
long story short, starting cleaning conservatory at back of house, on the 1st window, then bang, the window cracked
from left to right, i couldn't understand it, i hardly touched it, called the woman out to show her, she then comes out
with that she had a guy around recently to power wash the PVC on the Con, because it was in a bad way, i said a pressure
washer shouldn't be used on a Con, because its to powerful, and has probably weakend the glass, anyway she says i should
Larry

I wouldn’t claim off my insurance it’s not worth it Ime guessing your excess will be £250 ?. You are better off just biting the built and laying for it and put the cost against tax as an expense , that’s what I did we cracked two windows in 5:5 years using hot  but both had previous damage , you just have to accept that theses things happen occasionally and look big and pay up .

dazmond

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 04:02:33 pm »

Larry

itll be the hot water Larry........i cracked a little opener the other year.....it already had the smallest of cracks in the corner of the glass.......as soon as the warm water hit the glass it went the full length of the pane and popped!customer was fine as it was already slightly damaged....

the pane you cracked was probably too tight in the window fitting and as soon as the warm water hit the glass it expands and cracks.....this is the only downside of using hot water.....
price higher/work harder!

NWH

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 06:40:20 pm »
Lol yeah hot water I broke one 6 weeks ago,cost me 125 she got it done I BACS the money for it.

harleyman

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 06:53:00 pm »
Its allways last man on the  job that cops it.

Dry Clean

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 07:45:12 pm »
Double glazed units are very strong and can take a lot of abuse as long as the seal is intact, even if they have been forced into a warped or twisted frame they can last a long time, the seal then goes and you get a crack, I suspect the power washer will have damaged the seal but then how do you prove it.

NWH

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 08:15:45 pm »
I completely disagree with the above comment from experience cleaning all types of glass with cold to warm to very hot water,double glazed units are sealed together creating a very compact tight  fit any window that has been sealed together or has been fitted very tightly into a frame is a danger of cracking.
I cleaned a greenhouse this week very very old glass 2 foot squared,single panes held in with clips only I cleaned it with 65 degree + water with not even a creak.
You go off on a cold morning and clean a newly fitted double glazed unit and there’s always a possibility it’ll go on you,same with patio doors if there’s a weakness in any glass hot water will find it.

NWH

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 08:40:21 pm »
The 1 I paid to be repaired recently was a new double glazed unit around 6 months old,it cracked from left to right the full width.