bigfish

wooden bar floor
« on: March 29, 2005, 08:30:14 pm »
hi i need some help i have a wooden bar floor to clean it has gone dark with all the polish the last cleaner put on it is it best to stip it or just sand it thanks trevor

Len Gribble

Re: wooden bar floor
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 09:18:04 pm »
Trevor

I like that gone dark with polish? Typical cleaning schedule blame the cleaner!

Sand back but with care!

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Tim Downer

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 03:23:46 pm »
Hi Trevor

If sanding, remember the following:
* Punch in any nail heads in that are showing below floor surface.
* Make the first out going with the grain. Do not apply too much pressure as this will tend to score the floor.
* Sand complete area, and make turns diagonally, NEVER at 90o to the grain. On NO account should the sander be moved accross the grain of the wood!!
* Start with a courser paper to begin with, then finish with a finer grade paper which should eliminate any scratch marks.
*Vacuum dust away afterwards, in preperation for sealing afterwards.
* Sealaccording to manufacturers directions

All the best

Tim
Tim Downer
Manager

"The difference between Ordinary and Extraordinary.....is that little Extra"

patrickfarrington

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 07:31:54 pm »
Hi Trevor

An alternative which I have used if the floor is flat.
British nova have a product called super stripper which you apply to the floor by mop or applicator and you use a high productivity pad  ( 3m and I think spontex make them as well ) what they are, is a very open weave black course pad which you use with a slow speed scrubbing machine . The slurry gets absorbed into the pad , then turn the pad over and use the other side., when loaded use another  pad allow to dry overnight and shake out the dried slurry, then you can use the pad again on the next job. The benifits are there is no dust no danger to the floor by marking or damage from the sander if you have not used one before.
Ring British Nova in Middlesex and ask to speak to Mr Steve Billit , a very knowledgable floorcare chap is Steve.
Just in case you are wondering I dont work for them I just use there products.
ope this helps