Cloverleaf

Floor cleaning help wanted!
« on: November 09, 2003, 12:29:15 am »
I have a floor to clean this week.
It is tiles with what I can only describe as indentations or recessed holes just below the surface. These indentations are filled with ground in dirt.
I went to inspect today. Put a solution of stripping agent on floor and left to dwell for 5 mins. The dirt in the indentations would not move unless I scraped away with a sharp object. I said to the customer that I could clean the tiles but could not remove the dirt from the indentations.
Thes tiles are very porus and easily marked. I can only describe them as kiln dried biegh in colour tiles.
Any sugestions welcome.
John

Dynafoam

Re: Floor cleaning help wanted!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2003, 01:53:00 am »
John,

I don't normaly get involved with hard surface cleaning, so this should not be considered as expert advice.  :)

Some months ago whilst cleaning the carpets  in a six-bed house, prior to my client movin in, I was asked to clean tiles similar to the ones you described, in a vwry large conservatory.

Bearing in mind that I had one equiped only for carpet cleaning, the method I used was:

1] Heavy pre-spray with solution of trafic lane cleaner plus neutral shampoo - both at half normal strength.

2] Agitated with Host machine with multi-directional passes. (The contra-rotating brushes working in the vertical plane 'lifting' the soil from the recesses, the shampoo foam helping to hold the soil)

3] Rinse with hard-floor wand on HWE, a weak acidic rinse agent (B109) in tank. Defoamer in waste tank.

By the end of stage 2 the floor was covered in a creamy grey sludge, and the end result most satisfactory.

Maybe the 'real pro' would snear at this method - all I can say is that it worked for this old carpet cleaner ;D,

Hope it helps you,

John.

BusyBs

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2003, 05:49:16 pm »
hi
hope this helps,
we clean a vets floor that is similar to the description you give, we tried everything and nothing would shift it.

we then came across a powder product called deepio (used in chippys alot ) you add to hot water and scrub, gave it a try not expecting much and it stripped all the grime from the floor, to help with the scrubbing we also bought a rubber bristle brush the two together make short work of the floor, we now use this once a month to stop the grime building up, and clean in the normal way in between.
donna

Cloverleaf

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2003, 06:43:58 pm »
Thank you both for your input!
As well as a rotary scrubber, I also have a scrubber drier with twin rotating hard bristle heads, I think I will take this with me to try and see if it will get into the holes where the grime is.
Cheers John ;)

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2003, 08:32:43 pm »
Hi John you could try a rotawash machine with built in spray bar and use finestone cleaner from solution Uk because its micro splitting it will break down the soil  then rinse with water and use a wet vac or hard floor attachement on you extraction machine to rinse compltely and dry

all the best Nick