cleanandneat

WOODLICE
« on: May 08, 2007, 02:30:16 pm »
Good afternoon everyone,

I am presently working on a 16th century house,beautiful wooden floor,beams...etc and loads of WOODLICE!!! Put down some powdery chemical but it doesn't seem to work. I need proper advice on this but couldn't get it so far. Any advice would be much appreciated.Please !!!!

Liahona

Re: WOODLICE
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 02:58:41 pm »
Is the house empty? 

You could use an o-zone machine but that depends on a boat load of things.

It will cure the woodlice problem but may damage other surroundings especially the wood beams.  It depends too on how you use the o-zone machine.

John Kelly would have good advice I am sure.

Best, Dave.

John Kelly

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 03:18:28 pm »
Where are the woodlice? Usually relates to a dampness problem as they need damp conditions to thrive.

cleanandneat

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 12:07:05 pm »
Thanks for th info.
No,unfortunately the house is not empty and it is difficult with the chemicals already.
I suggested treating the wood itself but the owner don't want it. Yes,the house is damp and they seem to be coming up by the edges and there are plenty more of them upstairs than downstairs. An other tricky bit, all floors are carpeted upstairs!!!

I was thinking of a special solution to wash down the wood, carpet etc with.
Is this an option?
I can't really get down to clean the carpet as the bugs are everywhere....

John Kelly

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 05:18:13 pm »
If they are upstairs then there is definately a dampness problem with possible timber decay. Being 16th century it is likely to have a lot of timber in the construction. If there is decay and it is left to its own devices then the whole property could be at risk. As for the woodlice I'm afraid the only option would be to spray with a suitable insecticide. However it is likely they would return unless the specific cause was dealt with.

cleanandneat

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 11:25:49 pm »
Dear John,
Thank you very much your sound advice.

Kind regards,
Ildiko-