H20cleaning

New machine
« on: May 01, 2016, 08:40:33 pm »
Just ordered this matchine, and I'm thinking of putting a 100L water storage tank on a sack barrow for the machine to suck from.
Will I constantly find myself waiting for it to fill up ? My machine uses upto 16ltrs per minute.
The other option could be a wheelie bin they hold 175litres but I they are not very easy to manoeuvre when full.

What does everyone else use? A static tank isn't possible at the moment.

Smudger

Re: New machine
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 08:57:18 pm »
Is that from mr Rutland ??

It all depends on the water supply pressure but yes you'll be waiting about a bit, I used a wheelie bin once set up you won't need to move it, and the water lasts longer - my advice is whatever 'tank' you use put connections in the bottom it feeds the pw much better than sucking up and over

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Smurf

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 09:08:32 pm »
I've used cutomers wheelie bins for years as a buffer tank and only got around to using a 210 watter butt recently.
The trick is to set up whatever you want to use as a buffer tank so you don't have to keep moving it with washer and use enough length pressure washer hose for the job.

When you have a play with either you can judge how much water you need to finish off and simply turn the water off that is filling it. Then you don't have to lug about or try emptying a full whellie bin or butt.  If say the butt has a tap you can also drain most of the water out first before turning upside down when getting ready to pack away.

H20cleaning

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 09:21:34 pm »
Thanks for the reply, how do you make a connector water tight through a butt?

I ordered 35m of lance hose so I'm not moving very often,  I was even thinking about buying a small box trailer so I could move that around and mayby even drop the lads off, and go onto other jobs myself.

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 09:31:20 pm »
Tank connector - drill hole push through and screw together - they have rubber seals but silicone to be extra sure

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Smurf

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 09:33:35 pm »

I ordered 35m of lance hose so I'm not moving very often,  I was even thinking about buying a small box trailer so I could move that around and mayby even drop the lads off, and go onto other jobs myself.

Don't forget you will need an inline filter before the pump if you decide to put a bottom feed to the washer. I know most good washers already have a built in filter but two are better than one as they say.

I you have enough room in your van you don't need a trailer as you just unload  the pressure washing kit as takes no time at all. Just make sure your boys have everything they need before buggering off though.  ;D

H20cleaning

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 09:50:52 pm »

Don't forget you will need an inline filter before the pump if you decide to put a bottom feed to the washer. I know most good washers already have a built in filter but two are better than one as they say.

I you have enough room in your van you don't need a trailer as you just unload  the pressure washing kit as takes no time at all. Just make sure your boys have everything they need before buggering off though.  ;D
Thanks again! What size hose do you recon from the pump? Just so I can get it ordered.

Smurf

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 11:29:20 pm »

Thanks again! What size hose do you recon from the pump? Just so I can get it ordered.

It should come with an inlet hose and filter so just adapt that one and/or keep it as is and speak to Ben to sell you the bits and hose you would need for a bottom feed inlet to the washer. To be honest I have never bothered myself as my washers works fine just with the inlet thrown in the top of the buffer tank be it a whellie bin, water butt or a van tank.

outdoor restore

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 04:02:46 pm »
Just ordered this matchine, and I'm thinking of putting a 100L water storage tank on a sack barrow for the machine to suck from.
Will I constantly find myself waiting for it to fill up ? My machine uses upto 16ltrs per minute.
The other option could be a wheelie bin they hold 175litres but I they are not very easy to manoeuvre when full.

What does everyone else use? A static tank isn't possible at the moment.

You can get wheelie bins in sizes from 60L (the standard home wheelie bin is 240L) I now use an 80L wheelie bin with a ball cock and bottom outlet.  I find this size means you are not waiting for it to fill before starting, if the pressure is OK it will stay full and if pressure is crap (I'm in rural Shropshire, where water pressure can be terrible) you are not waiting to fill a large container.  In the eight years I have been pressure washing I have used van mount tank and large wheelie bin but find small wheelie bin ideal.  Doesn't take up much space in van, easy to move even when full and large enough to store hose, lances etc.
Neil

H20cleaning

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 12:19:09 am »
Thanks Neil I have a 110L water butt and my machine runs upto 16L per min... So I just wondered if I would be constantly using it up quicker than it was filling.

Smurf

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 10:13:01 am »
Thanks Neil I have a 110L water butt and my machine runs upto 16L per min... So I just wondered if I would be constantly using it up quicker than it was filling.

Best just try it and see as if the outside tap pressure/flow is good then should be ok. If not then you might have to play catch up for a wee bit that's all which is no big deal really. Don't forget you don't have your finger on the trigger all the time whilst working but the tap water hose is constantly filling the buffer tank.  Hence why most have a ballcock float valve fitted to stop the buffer tank from overflowing. ;)

outdoor restore

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 04:56:40 pm »
As Smurf says it depends on the flow from the customers tap, but you have the same problem with any non fixed tank, a larger 240L wheelie bin will only provide about 15mins of cleaning from full to empty, so if the tap flow is not 15lpm or more you will be waiting for water.  What I have found is that with a tall and narrow (although smaller capacity) wheelie bin I can get cleaning again quicker if the flow is slow, than waiting to fill a larger tank (may all be in the mind!).
The only way to really keep working with low tap pressure is to use a van mounted tank and arrive full of water.
Neil

H20cleaning

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 12:34:45 am »
I just did a check then and most households run at 8/10ltrs per minute so I'm sure I can have a phone break every now and again  ;D cheers fellas

Smurf

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 12:20:45 pm »
I remember doing a small domestic patio slab job without an outside tap just to see if it could be done using a 15 lpm washer. I had got most of the area done then the van tank ran out of water. Doh!  ::)roll

In the end the chap kindly kept filling a gorilla tub with water I took out of the van with a bucket from the kitchen tap so I could finish the job off.

What a palaver that was and in hindsight I should have just used yehaa instead, let dwell and gave it a quick rinse off afterwards instead as would have been less hassle and so much quicker to do. 

Back then I was not very keen on using hypo/chems but since learning how easy it is to get good results without killing and/or damaging anything in the process it’s my preferred weapon of choice on certain jobs instead of using high pressure. Not only that you don't create loads of mess by blasting crap everywhere so you don't need to spend loads of time on the clean up process either.

Smudger

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 10:17:45 pm »
Wow what a turnaround  ;D

Darran

Smudger

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 10:22:33 pm »
As Smurf says it depends on the flow from the customers tap, but you have the same problem with any non fixed tank, a larger 240L wheelie bin will only provide about 15mins of cleaning from full to empty, so if the tap flow is not 15lpm or more you will be waiting for water.  What I have found is that with a tall and narrow (although smaller capacity) wheelie bin I can get cleaning again quicker if the flow is slow, than waiting to fill a larger tank (may all be in the mind!).yes it is  ;D - start running from a larger tank at half full - 80 ltrs is 80 ltrs no matter what the container, but with a larger tank you have a bigger reserve while faffing around moving stuff, ( dreaded plant pots and the like )
The only way to really keep working with low tap pressure is to use a van mounted tank and arrive full of water.yep - this is what I do now, arrive with 1000 ltrs - did 2 complete front and rear patio cleans ( 4 areas in total ) without running out of water
Neil

Darran

Smurf

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 10:26:24 pm »
Wow what a turnaround  ;D

Darran

I can even suprise myself sometimes too. ;D ;D

H20cleaning

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 11:01:20 pm »
Well my new Machine came today.... And It cleans so fast! I did a quick 10minute job on my paving slabs and could believe the difference !!!
However the water situation wasn't the best so I might have to invest in a wheelie bin  ::)roll

Smurf

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 12:56:42 am »
Forgot to mention you still need to wear good ppe as even using a fsc you can still get filthy especialy trying to clean edges in walled corners with a lance due to blow back as you probably already have found that one out  ;D

Eye protection is a must and block paving is the worst as the last thing you want is grit getting in your eyes.
If you don't alraedy have a visor then this one would do as not only protects your eyes will stop crap getting in your hair and on your face too http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerm/face+visor.htm

chrissyman

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 01:03:28 am »
Yeah eye protection a must.  Sure i got that advice from you as well smurf.  Money well spent.   

Big difference on that patio mate.