Richy L

FAO: any oven cleaners
« on: October 28, 2010, 11:21:18 am »
How many ovens do you realisticly clean per month?

I want to make sure it is worth an investment.

SteveAllan

Re: FAO: any oven cleaners
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 12:02:59 pm »
Its up and down mate, dont believe the hype that the training places tell you of 4 - 5 ovens a day, its bull. Nov-Dec best time of year 3 or 4 a day. I do window cleaning as well mate, couldn't survive just on ovens. Just dont plough a fortune into it, happy to talk to ya anytime, let me know.

Richy L

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 12:10:09 pm »
The cheapest course I have seen is £700 and the equipment is £650 (inc. VAT).

I work out if I charge £60 an oven on everage I will need to clean 23 ovens before I start making any profit.
Is it likely to get say 10 ovens a week? or is it more like 1 a fortnight?

Pristine Clean

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 01:18:00 pm »
The only ones who make the money are training providers, the equipment sellers and the franchiser "The Owner" not the poor soul who spent £10,000 on investing.

I cant believe anyone falls for this hype on how many ovens and the amount of people calling.

Have you included travel times and fuel amongst other stuff.

Yes you can make a reasonable profit after your are ESTABLISHED.

Dave
"You have to except that some days you are the statue and other days you are a pigeon"

Richy L

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 01:32:50 pm »
The only ones who make the money are training providers, the equipment sellers and the franchiser "The Owner" not the poor soul who spent £10,000 on investing.

Thats what i was thinking.
Training people seems to be very good money!

Do you have the 'professional' equpment yourself for oven cleans?

Pristine Clean

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 06:58:39 pm »
I do have a heated dip tank but I rarely use it on EOT CLEANS where we perform an oven clean. I dont use it much even on normal one off oven cleaning jobs but do have a dip tank that is not heated.

Have you considered using a POLTI or Osprey steam cleaner for ovens? We use them for kitchen cleans and it great on ovens.

You don't really need training to remove doors, or the elements as it basic, and you rarely remove the elements anyway.

What are they going to teach you? Apply the chemical? There are no secrets..... in cleaning an oven. If you think there is get a franchise to come out and clean your oven and watch them. Get them to clean the hob and extractor.

An Arga is a little more complex but only because of the lids and doors. Get someone to come and clean an arga and then your sorted and still more money in your pocket.

Dave
"You have to except that some days you are the statue and other days you are a pigeon"

Pristine Clean

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 08:01:15 pm »
Do you mean something like this?...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/POLTI-EASY-STEAM-SILVER-STEAM-CLEANER-B-GRADE-MODEL-/170547690806?pt=UK_HomeGarden_CLV_Cleaning_CA&hash=item27b56f3d36

Would something like this clean an oven well. And how long would it take to clean a double oven, hob and extractor?

No - something more like this

http://www.vapourtek.co.uk/vpk2300D.htm

or even better

http://www.matrixcleaningsystems.co.uk/so4500_product_detail.php

Dave

Richy L

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 08:09:03 pm »
Would something like the first one clean an oven as well as a dip tank.
And how long would it take to clean a double oven, hob and extractor using a dip tank, then using a steamer?

Pristine Clean

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 08:22:21 pm »
I could not comment on the first one, I assume you mean the one you chose?

The first link that I posted would clean an oven - residential and small commercial ovens.

Probably an average of 45min - 1 hour. Depends on level of soiling. I cleaned an oven in 30 minutes once but was not badly soiled. That's not inc setup time.

If you get a long pair of pliers / grippers you wont need a dip tank with a steamer

Richy L

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 08:44:06 pm »
The dip tanks cost the same amount as that one though.
So if you use a dip tank it will take about 2-3- hours and if you steam it it will take 1 hour??

Pristine Clean

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 09:08:06 pm »
Its quicker with a steam cleaner, and more marketable - No chemicals.

It may take longer than an hour until you get use to them and the technique.

Dave

Richy L

Adam P

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 10:01:53 pm »
for eot cleans i charge £35 for single, £45 for double and £60 for range. i guess my prices are far too cheap? a local company charges similar so i figured this is the right price but then people say £60 which seems crazy

Richy L

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 10:04:57 pm »
for eot cleans i charge £35 for single, £45 for double and £60 for range. i guess my prices are far too cheap? a local company charges similar so i figured this is the right price but then people say £60 which seems crazy
when you say £45 for a double, is that including the hob and extractor hood?

Adam P

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 10:17:27 pm »
no it's no so perhaps that's why as well. £45 for just a double oven.

Adam P

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 10:28:13 pm »
depends how bad. if fairly ok then just hot water and a bit of soap for the trays and then a scraper and scourer for inside as well as some astonish, for bad ones then vanquish which was recommended to me by pristine

Pristine Clean

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 07:07:49 am »
Is there anything on the market that is cheaper than £600 that will do the job?

Yes try these, I have used one a few times.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/nimbus-1300-steam-cleaner-new-/250717291143?pt=UK_HomeGarden_CLV_Cleaning_CA&hash=item3a5fea4287#ht_500wt_922

Not sure how quick they are on an oven though due to the heat it produces and bar

Dave

Richy L

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2010, 09:55:21 am »
Will that run off a normal household plug socket or a 1KVA gennie?

When you say you have used one, did it seem to take longer than a bigger machine?

What else can you use these machines for?

Pristine Clean

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2010, 10:35:06 am »
yes runs off standard 3 pin plug

Used one, but it was not on a dirty oven so would be unfair to comment.

They can be used for cleaning greasy tiled walls, floors, bathrooms, bubble gum - but a little slow. As it not a big machine.

The bigger machine will handle more presure and temp, and carry more water and run for longer periods

Dave

Richy L

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2010, 11:06:22 am »
How do you go about getting oven cleaning jobs to start off with? leaflet drops? canvassing? ??

Pristine Clean

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2010, 01:59:05 pm »
Yes just advertise like any other business

Neil kell

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2010, 02:26:35 pm »
You must be getting sick of him tormenting you. Has he any intuition at all. Fair play to you for your patience, your only short of going down and doing it for him.
Bundled cleaning solutions

Richy L

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2010, 06:48:03 pm »
You must be getting sick of him tormenting you. Has he any intuition at all. Fair play to you for your patience, your only short of going down and doing it for him.

Its a forum ..   for asking questions and getting answers. I have helped other people and he is helping me.

I remember you asking for some guidance on soot cleaning - hmmm

BDCS

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2010, 07:24:12 pm »
Be careful, you upset them pads and they will be sending you a bang in the post - its all starting again, planes grounded with holds full of TNT

Paul Evans

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2010, 11:29:50 am »

I work out if I charge £60 an oven on everage I will need to clean 23 ovens before I start making any profit.

Hi Richy L

Where are you getting your training done. Please could you email me details 

p-evans8@sky.com

Cheers Paul

Richy L

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2010, 03:54:58 pm »
Did you get that black off the wall yet?

I'm only on the wind up now, you do know that don't you?

No I haven't done the job yet. I will be doing the test piece next week. Probably monday.

Hi Richy L

Where are you getting your training done. Cheers Paul
I have decided against the training now. The feedback I have had from people on the forum, friends and family has told me that it may not be worth it. The cheapest courses only clean 4 ovens with you and the longer courses seem to expensive to make it worth while.

I dont want to start an oven cleaning business, just use it as an add on.

Pristine Clean

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2010, 04:07:46 pm »
Good man there is someone who has seen the light.

Paul Evans

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2010, 04:31:09 pm »
Did you get that black off the wall yet?

I'm only on the wind up now, you do know that don't you?

No I haven't done the job yet. I will be doing the test piece next week. Probably monday.

Hi Richy L

Where are you getting your training done. Cheers Paul
I have decided against the training now. The feedback I have had from people on the forum, friends and family has told me that it may not be worth it. The cheapest courses only clean 4 ovens with you and the longer courses seem to expensive to make it worth while.

I dont want to start an oven cleaning business, just use it as an add on.

So where was the training & dip tank from

Richy L

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2010, 08:37:53 pm »
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/steamtec-520-steam-cleaner

what do you think of this steam cleaner?
I need to buy one for a paint removal job im on at the moment anyway. I need to buy one tomorrow.

Pristine Clean

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2010, 07:06:49 am »
Hi Richy

Cant say if its any good for paint removal as never tried removing paint

Ive have actually used that model. Its pretty good for small jobs does do ovens ok. But as its small you need to keep refilling.

My best advice if its for ovens cleaning, use the oven cleaning chemical first. Get as much as you can with the chemical.

Wash away and any left over then use the steam cleaner cleaner. With the attachments be careful not to scratch the oven surfaces.

Its a shame you could not practice with it first as it takes a bit of getting use to. 

hope that helps

DONT FORGET TO WASH AWAY ALL OF THE CHEMICAL! turn the oven on to about 40d no more and leave the chemical to soak you will find it easier. turn off after 15 minutes.

after you have cleaned it reheat oven and it will go white or leave a residue where you have left any remaining chemical. Wash away with soapy water - spray is sufficient.

Richy L

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2010, 10:14:30 am »
Cheers mate,
I think ill pick one up today.
This is the paint removal job...

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=112562.msg962495

I was using a little morphy richards machine.110 degrees. It was helping for the akward parts, but slowly.