Who would be in favour?

Yes
No

YWCS

. New
« on: March 05, 2009, 09:22:06 pm »

Re: Licensing for England
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 09:26:45 pm »
It's interesting that people are voting on this one without leaving a comment to say how they voted.

Imagine doing that.

I voted ....... ;D

collins82002

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 09:31:46 pm »
I vote yes it would eliminate the dole dosers from the people who want to make an honest living to pay our bills and holidays

R W C

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 09:32:38 pm »
Ive voted yes, voiced my opinion on this on threads in the past so didnt feel i needed to voice again.

Chris

Davie T

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 09:33:49 pm »
Keep it in mind that you will be required to pay for a license in each County you work in and that as soon as you employ a w/c ( good or bad ) you will have to immediately pay for a license for him!

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 09:34:15 pm »
Hi Folks,

I voted Yes.

But what is the idea behind licensing, besides making it harder for any Tom, Dick or Harry to start up?
I have my ideas, but I just wanted to see other peoples views

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

dave.e

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 09:35:57 pm »
Ive voted yes, aswell

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 09:36:39 pm »
I voted yes,.. but I'd want to see some real enforcement for my money,..

NWH

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 09:36:47 pm »
It would prevent them from going after commercial work as it would be illegal to employ them.

Window Washers

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 09:37:24 pm »
I voted yes, and NWH hit one of the nails on the head
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 09:50:48 pm »
I have not voted i this as I live in scotland however as some have said not all adheres please look at http://www.slwcn.org/area.htm. I dont no where they got there figures, but I do think they are an acurate reflection. I agree with licencing window cleaners, but believe allot of improvements are needed. More checks done by police, and improve the insurance with hieght restrictions and not only covering the public, but it should also cover your customer.

mileslake

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 09:53:28 pm »
Since the Police don't turn out to reports of car theft and burglary etc,  why would they turn out to the report of an unlicenced window cleaner??? If you walked into a Poolice Stn and said I saw a man cleaning windows in Boro St just now, don't wait for the police helicopter to arrive. You won't even get a trafic warden,

We would be just paying a lot of fees to council jobsworths.

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 10:00:27 pm »
Since the Police don't turn out to reports of car theft and burglary etc,  why would they turn out to the report of an unlicenced window cleaner??? If you walked into a Poolice Stn and said I saw a man cleaning windows in Boro St just now, don't wait for the police helicopter to arrive. You won't even get a trafic warden,

We would be just paying a lot of fees to council jobsworths.

Here's a joke...
Old man on phone: I think there's a burglar in my house
Police: Sorry we have no available officers and can't get there for 20 minutes
Old man: In that case I've just shot him

Within 3 minutes two helicopters, and 3 squad cars arrived  ;D

So just say you're gonna hit him and hang up

karygate

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 10:19:17 pm »
i voted yes as long as its not just another money getting thing for local government and the money is used to patrol the scheme.
gary

R W C

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 10:24:49 pm »
How many so far have voted yes, and don’t support there own trade association FWC!

You wouldn’t need licensing if 30’000 window cleaners joined the FWC that would be 30’000 marketers and a richer = more powerful trade association working on your behalf.

There would definitely be a noticeable difference in professional window cleaners and the other lot. Quoting & getting the job will be easier as the public perception of window cleaners will be different.   

I went with the FSB instead

mci services

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 10:35:46 pm »
just a wee point i thought i would throw in lads to think about. its been law in scotland since 1982, its now 2009 and most arent licenced and the public couldnt care less. the worst offenders are commercial w/c so thats not going to help with commercial and insurance companys dont care. i totaly support the slwcn as i am a member but lads its taken a long, long time for it to even be publicaly known that a license is required, and it isnt per county you need one its per council area, so for example in 20 minute driving i could be in 5 council areas not including my own

Kevin R

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 10:36:47 pm »
I voted No !!

I love competition especially from people who drive a tatty car with ladders on the roof - let the customers decide!!!! Professional looking or not so professional looking its up to them - there is a market for every type of WC

Its called fair trade !

Don't be afraid of the competition use it to your advantage!!!

R W C

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 10:38:37 pm »
just a wee point i thought i would throw in lads to think about. its been law in scotland since 1982, its now 2009 and most arent licenced and the public couldnt care less. the worst offenders are commercial w/c so thats not going to help with commercial and insurance companys dont care. i totaly support the slwcn as i am a member but lads its taken a long, long time for it to even be publicaly known that a license is required, and it isnt per county you need one its per council area, so for example in 20 minute driving i could be in 5 council areas not including my own

Would England have to have the same sort of license as Scotland then, surely we could have  just one license and work any where.

mci services

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 10:43:20 pm »

Would England have to have the same sort of license as Scotland then, surely we could have  just one license and work any where.
ive no idea mate just be carefull what you ask for it could cost, we are stuck with it so have to make it work

Edge Clean

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 11:44:04 pm »
I have not voted i this as I live in scotland however as some have said not all adheres please look at http://www.slwcn.org/area.htm. I dont no where they got there figures, but I do think they are an acurate reflection. I agree with licencing window cleaners, but believe allot of improvements are needed. More checks done by police, and improve the insurance with hieght restrictions and not only covering the public, but it should also cover your customer.

Those figure were obtained in April 2006 so are coming up for 3 years old, Doug is in the process of updating them we are waiting for the councils to supply new lists. Back then the figures were that around 1 in 5 window cleaners were licensed, but in the last couple of years with the workload that Doug has put in there has been a substantial increase in the numbers of window cleaners being brought into the licensing system, it wouldnt surprise me now if the ratio of licensed to unlicensed window cleaners is now closer to 1 in 3, hopefully in a few more years the ratio will balance out and in future years after that  the licensed should out number the unlicensed.