C.C.S.

how much?
« on: May 29, 2009, 06:33:10 pm »
hi just wondered how much would you charge for something like this.getting a few more enquires then usually and don't have much experience  on pricing.thanks

GWCS

Re: how much?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 06:36:37 pm »
£85 for the whole conny.

C.C.S.

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 06:40:40 pm »
some before and after picture.by the way it took me 45 minutes to do it.cheers

aztec

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 06:50:35 pm »
nice work fella!

C.C.S.

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 06:51:00 pm »
How much did you charge for this one?
£20 just for the roof not the windows.i think i could have gone higher even if took me 45 minute

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 06:53:03 pm »
Accident waiting to happen there  ::)  I do the same though, I had an existing customer ask me today whether I had done her con roof which is a similar size to that, no came the reply she then told me she thought it was in the pricing of the window all for £15 and that she didn't mind paying a little bit extra for it, soon put her straight.
For that one I'd want a minimum of £30 then at least £15 as long as done quarterly, I try and avoid them though even at those prices they seem to think your ripping them off.      
Sussex by the sea

simon knight

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 06:55:35 pm »
£85 for the whole conny.

"£85 for the whole conny"?...it's tiny!

It's 30ish minutes work...£20 top top top.

pingu

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 07:11:42 pm »
I would want around 60 - 70 euros to do that....remember it's not the time you take but the effort required, your time, equipment, tfr and all the other expenses you incure during your work day...

If just time was involved it would make prices far lower...

We are business's and we need to earn more than just what a job is really worth....

Cheers
Dave.

tacky

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 09:04:34 pm »
£40 seems fair price .up in south wales

Central Window Cleaners

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 09:12:13 pm »
£75 minimum, no point doing them for peanuts charge proper prices and you can make a good side line of it for wet weather days

NWH

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 09:46:38 pm »
£20 for the roof is peanuts i`m sorry i don`t mean to put you down or be rude but do you think the homeowner thought that was expensive,if someone said to me clean that roof for £20 i`d think he was having a laugh.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 10:45:19 pm »
If its done regular then €20 for the whole thing,.. 20 mins no problem, it is tiny!

If its a first clean, then €60 - €80 depending on how dirty it is.

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 10:48:22 pm »
£45....................... its an hours work.

NWH

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 11:05:57 pm »
You`ve given him a new roof for £20 lol. ;D

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 11:12:29 pm »
I thought £20.

NWH

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 11:19:19 pm »
At £20 a pop you would have work coming out of your ears,do you want some work at those rates lol. ;D

vision tech

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 11:24:21 pm »
£80.00 min
thats for the whole con top to btm.
did you do top to btm or just top.?
I started out with nothing......I still have most of it.

alanwilson

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 11:27:36 pm »
I can't see the problem - most guys on here reckon they make £30 an hr window cleaning - so if it takes 45min to clean a con roof for £20 (=£27 an hr) then really he's not far off the mark, if he was to clean a couple more of them he'll get that down to 30mins easy I'm sure.

So why the big fuss?  

Central Window Cleaners - you say £75 minimum - and is that your Sierra in your avatar??  

Vision Tech - £80!  Well if you can get it then why not?  I can assure you there's very few parts of the country where you'll be able to charge that.
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

C.C.S.

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 11:31:57 pm »
£80.00 min
thats for the whole con top to btm.
did you do top to btm or just top.?
hi thanks for all the answers .the job was quite easy .but i thought was a bit low because i haven't done many con roofs.£20 is only for the roof not windows and frames.i think in the future i'll put my prices a bit up for con roofs but is quite a competition in the area.

vision tech

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 11:39:44 pm »
heres one i did for £80. took me and my son 90 mins.

[attachment deleted by admin]

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2009, 12:51:12 am »
3 hours labour then just over £25 per hour, sounds about right to me for con roofs, that's why I hate them tell me it wasn't harder work than windows  ;D. Nice job though. 
Sussex by the sea

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2009, 10:45:56 am »
Thats one is bigger tho Bertie,.. the first on is only 2 sides & the roof,.. and its a bit smaller too?

Window Washers

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2009, 11:07:33 am »
Why do people charge the same price for a one off job or maybe yearly/6monthly

Con roof are a pain in the back side and should be priced above what your hourly rates are for standard window cleaning IMO.
Who ever is doing them for £20 a pop I have about 15 you can do for me
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

simon knight

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2009, 11:40:01 am »

Con roof are a pain in the back side and should be priced above what your hourly rates are for standard window cleaning IMO.

I think conservatory roofs are a bad example because if left for a year or 2 they do get to be a pain to bring up to scratch. For the cons roof as show I would do it for £20 provided it was an integral part of a regular whole house clean.

As a one-off yes I agree charge your hourly rate and a bit more...but not to the point where it's going into rip-off territory.

Window Washers

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2009, 11:46:23 am »

I think conservatory roofs are a bad example because if left for a year or 2 they do get to be a pain to bring up to scratch. For the cons roof as show I would do it for £20 provided it was an integral part of a regular whole house clean.

As a one-off yes I agree charge your hourly rate and a bit more...but not to the point where it's going into rip-off territory.
agree that £20 regular maybe even £15 but first clean quite a bit more
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

SonOfFormby

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2009, 12:07:49 pm »
Just got back from doing one this morning exactly the same, £45 inc once over on the glass which was clean anyway, about 1 1/2 hrs work.

Lee

simon knight

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2009, 12:59:26 pm »

What’s ripping of territory?

Assuming you're over 14 Ewan I'm sure you're asking a rhetorical question...but if you're not here's my definition of a rip-off merchant:

Taking advantage of people who haven't checked out prices and therefore have no clue as to what is an acceptable/going rate for the job and therefore charging way over-the-odds or whatever you feel you can get away with.

simon knight

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2009, 01:12:03 pm »

Assuming you're over 14 Ewan I'm sure you're asking a rhetorical question...but if you're not here's my definition of a rip-off merchant:

Taking advantage of people who haven't checked out prices and therefore have no clue as to what is an acceptable/going rate for the job and therefore charging way over-the-odds or whatever you feel you can get away with.

Should haved added it normally happens to the old and also to guileless people.

GWCS

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2009, 02:08:18 pm »

er did you price check about 5 guys when it came to fixing your leak?

How do you know you got the cheapest price?

I could have done that for a fiver!  ::)

simon knight

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2009, 02:38:41 pm »

No I didn't. But the leak needed to be fixed asap and the guy I used I had used before so knew that he was sensibly priced...he charged £80 for 1 1/2 hrs..which i though perfectly acceptable.

However: If I'd used a plumber from yellow pages and he had charged £200 (£133ph) for his work and i had then subsequently found that the going rate was nearer £50ph then I would have felt ripped-off because the yellow pages guy, being a professional, must have known, roughly, what the going rate was and was merely taking advantage of the fact that I obviously hadn't a clue.

Clearly, in our yellow pages plumber example, had I checked around I would have found the £50ph guys and Mr £200 would have been shooed away. He was therefore quoting £200 simply because he hoped I'd in all innocence agree to his price because I had no benchmark to compare.

You don't get ripped-off in supermarkets because there is a visible benchmark on prices. OK Waitrose are more pricey than Asda but you go in with your eyes wide open.

As I said, it's not a question of being expensive, more a question of charging way over the odds purely because the guileless customer takes your word that this is the going rate for a given job. And that in my view is the rip-off!

Window Washers

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2009, 02:53:30 pm »

Simon, I am not flaming you, but have to say that when I price I do so at the price I want for the job so it covers staffing costs me included ) equipment etc etc, we are not the cheapest window cleaners around but just because people charge lower does not mean the ones that charge higher are ripping people off it could well mean the lower priced are under selling there business. If the job is done correctly is should (for me does) command a higher price.
I understand if someone charges £1000 to clean a con roof, that would be a rip off, but ranging from say £40 to £100 is not a rip off at all for say a 8 panel roof, some run a business to make money some run a business to pay bills.....Again it is a choice thing some IMO make the wrong choice in pricing but it does not affect me as they are add on jobs anyway.
If every person that was charging low on con roofs added £5 it would be good for them and would make them more, I would surgest people try this next time, if you are charging £80 min Then it would be a little tricky but not impossible.

I charge con roof jobs at double window cleaning rate PH, I get the work so seems to work. Working for the same money for standard windows is madness IMO if you get it wrong your costing yourself (exceptions do happen when you get it totally wrong I admit but charging the same is a NO NO)

GWCS

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2009, 05:24:38 pm »

No I didn't. But the leak needed to be fixed asap and the guy I used I had used before so knew that he was sensibly priced...he charged £80 for 1 1/2 hrs..which i though perfectly acceptable. Exacltly, my customer ask me to do it cos they know the job will be done properly, and they know im good for my price. There are dearer people, there are also cheaper people, but you pay what you happy to pay for.

However: If I'd used a plumber from yellow pages and he had charged £200 (£133ph) for his work and i had then subsequently found that the going rate was nearer £50ph then I would have felt ripped-off because the yellow pages guy, being a professional, must have known, roughly, what the going rate was and was merely taking advantage of the fact that I obviously hadn't a clue.

Clearly, in our yellow pages plumber example, had I checked around I would have found the £50ph guys and Mr £200 would have been shooed away. He was therefore quoting £200 simply because he hoped I'd in all innocence agree to his price because I had no benchmark to compare.

You don't get ripped-off in supermarkets because there is a visible benchmark on prices. OK Waitrose are more pricey than Asda but you go in with your eyes wide open. Dispite knowing the prices, i choose to shop at tesco cos its a better place to shop for me personally. I dont like asda, morrisons, or saisnburys. Regardless of price i shop where i like to shop. Not everything in life is about money. Personally i dont choose to price hunt, i choose an easy life, much like many customers of mine.

As I said, it's not a question of being expensive, more a question of charging way over the odds purely because the guileless customer takes your word that this is the going rate for a given job. And that in my view is the rip-off!

£80 is perfectly ok for a conny of that size, going from a lot of peoples pricing - so in effect that can be a going rate. Remember im after better payers who are happy to pay a little more, i dont go to every quote to get it. If they dont want to pay it, they can and will go elsewhere. But its no way a rip off charge, im not charging them £200!

simon knight

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2009, 05:43:59 pm »

Guys, Guys, Guys..I'm not looking to get into a row over this! Ewan asked what I thought was a rip-off...I answered.

GWCS said why he thinks £80 for a conny that size is justifiable...fine!

It's all about perception as to what you think a job is worth...and I think £20 for the roof is right...others £80.

Acid test is: Let's both quote for the job...me £20...other w/c £80...

Who gets the job?....Mmmm...tricky one!

NWH

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2009, 06:42:52 pm »
You can`t go to the cinema and get a drink and popcorn for 2 of you for £20 lol,i reckon the old custies are having a little laugh at you behind your back for 20 notes. ;D

simon knight

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2009, 06:46:34 pm »
You can`t go to the cinema and get a drink and popcorn for 2 of you for £20 lol,i reckon the old custies are having a little laugh at you behind your back for 20 notes. ;D

That's OK 8)

GWCS

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2009, 06:47:46 pm »

But you can go to tesco and get 2 cases of beer for £20  ::)

simon knight

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2009, 06:51:26 pm »

But you can go to tesco and get 2 cases of beer for £20  ::)

Take me more than 30 minutes to drink 2 cases of beer :P

simon knight

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2009, 06:54:19 pm »

At the end of the day I reckon that cons roof is 30 minutes work...£20 for 30 mins work? What's wrong with that?

NWH

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2009, 06:57:54 pm »
It takes a couple of mins to fill my van up and about 80% of that is Tax at least, now that`s a rip off.

simon knight

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2009, 06:59:59 pm »
It takes a couple of mins to fill my van up and about 80% of that is Tax at least, now that`s a rip off.

Totally agree there.

big J

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2009, 07:50:14 pm »
For me personally it is value for money ....generally i look at the cheapest and then the most expensive and then buy something priced in the middle eg ntto cheapest M&S dearest but buy at Tesco  ;)
modern day methods ......tradtional values

vision tech

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2009, 08:24:37 pm »
can i point out to all that are talking about cons roofs
 and the price,i stated that i charged £80.00 for a complete
cons clean, ie, roof, frames, doors ,sills,and then cleaned the
windows trad, £80 was not a ripoff,
I am not a wfper. ??? ???

simon knight

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2009, 08:35:15 pm »

At the end of the day I reckon that cons roof is 30 minutes work...£20 for 30 mins work? What's wrong with that?

Well, you can get more.

I don’t think it is about personal perception at all; the work has value to you and the customer.

You have to ask your self what are your real reasons for charging a lot less if you here of other window cleaners charging more.

What are the chances of you directly competing with another window cleaner for a residential conservatory roof clean?

There nothing clever charging £20 when the customer will accept a higher price. At least charge what the customer will have to pay if they did the work them selves, after that you might want to add a bit more for the time you save them because they don’t have to do it.

I repeat: £20 for 30 minutes work...what's wrong with that?

I don't especially care what others charge (or more accurately get away with). That's my rate...I'm not greedy.

In fact I like it that there are people who charge a whole lot more. Just means that I'll get (practically) any job I quote for and always earn a living.

So cheers guys I'm in your debt.  And avoid moving to Putney SW London...with me around you'll struggle to find custies.

Oh I forgot...here it's ladders only...shock horror :o ;D

NWH

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2009, 08:40:08 pm »
It dosen`t matter if you go round there and wave a magic wand at it and get it clean charge what the jobs worth,are you telling me a load of plastic windows on a house amount to 10k,no you wouldn`t but a stupid amount of people did and still pay it.The amount of time a job takes means nothing to me,i charge what i think the job is worth not £2 cos it`s takes 5 minutes,i`ve got to get there setup and get to the next job that in itself costs me money.

Window Washers

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2009, 08:42:22 pm »

Well, you can get more.

I don’t think it is about personal perception at all; the work has value to you and the customer.

You have to ask your self what are your real reasons for charging a lot less if you here of other window cleaners charging more.

What are the chances of you directly competing with another window cleaner for a residential conservatory roof clean?

There nothing clever charging £20 when the customer will accept a higher price. At least charge what the customer will have to pay if they did the work them selves, after that you might want to add a bit more for the time you save them because they don’t have to do it.

I repeat: £20 for 30 minutes work...what's wrong with that?

I don't especially care what others charge (or more accurately get away with). That's my rate...I'm not greedy.

In fact I like it that there are people who charge a whole lot more. Just means that I'll get (practically) any job I quote for and always earn a living.

So cheers guys I'm in your debt.  And avoid moving to Putney SW London...with me around you'll struggle to find custies.

Oh I forgot...here it's ladders only...shock horror :o ;D

I would be worried if thats your attitude fella, you maybe cheap but cheap is not always good. One point I would like to make is other people quote my customers all the time and seem do to get the job, I quote and I seem to get more and more seems that not every customer is based on price alone they get a package within my prices and I guess they liek it.

As said before if you happy thats what matters, sod everyone else, but putting other down in a way because you charge less, maybe food for thought for you, as it is you that is losing out  we can all be busy fools if we wan to be ;)

simon knight

« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2009, 08:59:51 pm »
NWH, Window washers, Ewan etc etc...

That cons roof is 30 minutes work. £20 with me.

I'm very sorry if that's a problem for you but don't let it worry you too much, because on a scale of 0-10 the chances of you competing for the same job as me are around minus 8.

I work on a quarterly basis, am approx a month behind, I haven't canvassed for 3 years, get around 5 calls a week from recs and turn most down unless the job really suits (eg it's in a road I do anyway).

Fool? Probably.
Busy? Oh yeah baby ;D

Window Washers

« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2009, 09:04:27 pm »

I'm very sorry if that's a problem for you but don't let it worry you too much, because on a scale of 0-10 the chances of you competing for the same job as me are around minus 8.

I work on a quarterly basis, am approx a month behind, I haven't canvassed for 3 years, get around 5 calls a week from recs and turn most down unless the job really suits (eg it's in a road I do anyway).

Fool? Probably.
Busy? Oh yeah baby ;D

Love it, fair play to you m8,
No problem with me at all by the way, and seems you in a nice position.

Ian
P.s I will not worry   ;)

simon knight

« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2009, 09:07:24 pm »

Fool? Probably.
Busy? Oh yeah baby ;D

Ian

...and Chelsea won ;D

Life gets no better :-*

Window Washers

« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2009, 09:08:30 pm »

Fool? Probably.
Busy? Oh yeah baby ;D

Ian

...and Chelsea won ;D

Guess they need to pick themselves up, I say no more  :P

simon knight

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2009, 09:12:53 pm »

Fool? Probably.
Busy? Oh yeah baby ;D

Ian

...and Chelsea won ;D

Says a sulky closet Everton supporter ;D

Window Washers

« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2009, 09:16:11 pm »

Fool? Probably.
Busy? Oh yeah baby ;D

Ian

...and Chelsea won ;D

Everton,?????????????? I have not insulted you, so please reframe for doing it to me  :P

simon knight

« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2009, 09:22:18 pm »

Fool? Probably.
Busy? Oh yeah baby ;D

Ian

...and Chelsea won ;D

Everton,?????????????? I have not insulted you, so please reframe for doing it to me  :P

Abject apologies...didn't mean to offend!

Anyway I'm logging off to see the Britains got talent result. Bonsoir mon ami.

C'mon Diversity!