LWC

Pressure washing...dear me
« on: April 28, 2009, 05:57:33 pm »
Got myself a pressure washer last month, pretty good en, did my parents patio came up great and a customer asked me about it, i had no iddea how to price so said £50 thinking maybe an hours work.

4 hours later and 2 of us finished it, not impressed. How do you guys price it? Wouldnt of minded so much if weather was crap but wouldve been fine to do windows today...sighs

peter holley

Re: Pressure washing...dear me
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 06:24:09 pm »
i too would like to know the answer rto this ... 2 men and 4 hrs would have to be a minimum of £200 but more like £250.... but i cant see a custie paying that much >:(

ftp

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 06:28:32 pm »
four hours  :o you did switch it on didn't you?

supernova77

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 06:31:25 pm »
four hours  Shocked you did switch it on didn't you?

lol  :D

andyatkinson

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 06:31:39 pm »
a minimum? that would be nice £500 a day, i could take a pay cut for that! ;D
I priced 2 the other week both £70 each couldnt say how big exactly (back yard of council house and down side ally too) similar size on other job, my £7.50 an hour blokey knocked em both out in 5 hours on his own, it lashed down all day so couldnt possibly do anythin else so priced accordingly to do work that day, £140 is not so bad if you can do absolutely nothin else.
i would just save purely for days like today and never ever book in advance a date, i tell them its a bit cheeper so can i be flexible with time and come when its raining.

LWC

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 06:32:01 pm »

Lol yes, i turned the switch past on after 2 hours i was that annoyed lol

martinsadie

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 06:53:09 pm »
;D ;D

martinsadie

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 06:54:17 pm »
Got myself a pressure washer last month, pretty good en, did my parents patio came up great and a customer asked me about it, i had no iddea how to price so said £50 thinking maybe an hours work.

4 hours later and 2 of us finished it, not impressed. How do you guys price it? Wouldnt of minded so much if weather was crap but wouldve been fine to do windows today...sighs
Window cleaners should only do jobs like that if they run out of work or its raining  ;D

LWC

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 07:04:04 pm »
It was raining this morning, hence the reason i went.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 09:08:32 pm »
Personally I think it was prob a mistake was having 2 ppl at the job. Pressure washing is a 1 man job (Unless you have a twin lance washer),.. it rarely pays to have 2 men on this kind of job.
I used to do it with 1 man pressure washing, the other cleaning the windows, but inevitably there was always someone standing watching for some part of the job and money was lost, so now I do it strictly as a one man operation.

Was it a large area, or was it simply grime that was hard to remove? If the latter, spraying some of this down first will make the job a lot quicker:
http://www.mistral.ie/details.php?code=R1130

I also find if there are "Black spots" of algae left behind after washing that instead of taking hours removing them with the pressure washer, a good heavy spray of that chloras after the washing is complete will make them disappear almost instantly, saving hours of work.

LWC

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 09:33:33 pm »
Thank Nath, yeh suppose your right about being a one man job, mind you, i could never lift the washed in and out on my own, not where i store it in van.

Will take a lok at the lnk, thanks alot.  :)

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 09:51:30 pm »
Leave the washer in the van & get loads of hose. www.merrillfoxenterprises.com sells 100' lengths extremely cheap,.. 2 of them will get you round nearly any house.

Mr Formby

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 10:21:42 pm »
I charge
£1.50 per mtr for concrete
£2.50 per mtr block paving + £1.00 per mtr for resanding

Milltown Cleaning

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 10:47:12 pm »
i generally work at a rate of £20 an hour, to cover for fuel and maintenance costs.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 08:50:32 am »
£20 an hour? I'd be double that at least for pressure washing! Buying the machine, running it, servicing it etc really adds up. I reckon every time I take it out it costs €50 (I plan on replacing every 3 yrs, so replacement cost is factored in too)

Milltown Cleaning

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 09:35:02 am »
ahh a fellow irish man - though you are at the opposite end of the country!!

you say €50 which is fair enough, the republic ic just so much dearer for everything!!

a guy i used to work for cleans chimneys up here for £20 a go, in dublin you pay €40 for the same service!!

i would love to be able to charge £40 odd an hour!!

Chris B

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 11:57:08 am »

Did you have a kip matt?  ;D ;D  4 hours and i could of done my street ;D ;D ;D thats the trouble with you windies, you have forgotten how to graft ;D ;D  .....only joking lads.....

Chris goes and hides....

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 01:32:42 pm »
a guy i used to work for cleans chimneys up here for £20 a go, in dublin you pay €40 for the same service!!

€60 a chimney down here!!

Milltown Cleaning

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 02:27:41 pm »

€60 a chimney down here!!

thats it im moving back to dundalk!!! i would love to know what the average window prices are around there!

JS_Cleaning

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 07:09:37 pm »
Im also from northern ireland, i wont take the pressure washer out for less than £40 an hour, as im a window cleaner if any of my regular custies ask me about it i aim for £30 an hour to keep them sweet.  Its an expensive job, but most custies know that.

Milltown Cleaning

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 10:40:10 pm »
where abouts you based at JS_cleaning?

JS_Cleaning

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 02:35:00 am »
cookstown,  and you?

Milltown Cleaning

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 09:14:39 am »
oh quite close by really!!

im based in portglenone, not sure if you know it, about 40mins from cookstown

simon knight

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 12:14:04 pm »
I charge
£1.50 per mtr for concrete
£2.50 per mtr block paving + £1.00 per mtr for resanding

I don't do it any more but that's about the right pricing for a straightforward clean imo.

I used to tell them to clear the patio before I arrived but if they hadn't (and most didn't) and I had to move heavy plant tubs and garden furniture around as I worked then I'd be charging for this as well.

I used to enjoy cleaning stonework and only packed it in because I found it was too seasonal.

Roger Oakley

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2009, 08:43:03 pm »
Don't understand why you guys don't leave pressure washing to the  professinoals

andyatkinson

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 08:45:03 pm »
how constructive

WCE

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 08:50:03 pm »
Don't understand why you guys don't leave pressure washing to the  professinoals
Which you are obviously not considering you cant even spell PROFESSIONAL  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Being seroius how much woud you charge then for that type of job?
WCE- For Windows that shine everytime!

martinsadie

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2009, 08:51:52 pm »
get your own back and start cleaning windows  ;D ;D

Roger Oakley

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2009, 08:55:45 pm »
Which you are obviously not considering you cant even spell PROFESSIONAL  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Being seroius how much woud you charge then for that type of job?
Correct a typeing error on my part.
As far as me beining professional have a look at our website, I think that speaks for itself.

Roger Oakley

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2009, 08:56:59 pm »
get your own back and start cleaning windows  ;D ;D

Thanks Stan,
We are experts in one area, so don't do add-ons  ;D

martinsadie

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2009, 08:57:46 pm »
same here  ;D ;D

Milltown Cleaning

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2009, 12:06:23 am »
oh look at me i have a website, that clearly means my level of work is going to be far surperior to that of others.

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2009, 06:08:07 am »
A road I did on Wednesday had had 3 of my customers drive ways cleaned by the same company.  Spoke to one and they said the price started at £1200, they kept dropping it until it went to £600.  It took 3 people 3 hours to clean the drive off (block pave going around the back of the house), and they didn't do a fantastic job either, where they were blasting the base of the house they were peeling off the black paint on the damp course. 

Why do custies let themselves get ripped off like that.  By the way, they were all retired.

Simon.

Chris B

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2009, 10:16:19 am »
oh look at me i have a website, that clearly means my level of work is going to be far surperior to that of others.

I think if you look clearly you will see examples of his work and as i and many others can vouch for Rogers work its probably best if you slink off in to the corner, he actually is one of the best in the industry.... ::)

drwindows

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2009, 12:39:25 pm »
As far as me beining professional have a look at our website, I think that speaks for itself.

No offense but if it speaks for itself, it says "I'm a rubbishy home-made website"

I've seen much better window cleaning websites from people who don't think they are "the best in the industry" lol.  Some people are obviously a bit too big for their boots and worrying that lowly window cleaners will nick their work.  Thats business.

Chris B

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2009, 01:07:57 pm »

No offense but if it speaks for itself, it says "I'm a rubbishy home-made website"

I've seen much better window cleaning websites from people who don't think they are "the best in the industry" lol.  Some people are obviously a bit too big for their boots and worrying that lowly window cleaners will nick their work.  Thats business.

Think you will find thats the last thing Roger will be worrying about" window cleaners nicking his work" ;D ;D ;D ;D

Milltown Cleaning

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2009, 01:17:55 pm »
snobbery

Mr Formby

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2009, 06:17:53 pm »

I think his web site is ok. He has some very good before and after pictures.
As for leaving it to the  professionals, how do you know the quality of my work

Art

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2009, 06:42:00 pm »
I think your not thinking along the right lines guys. Roger charges top prices and gets plenty of work, so what does that tell you?

He also uses the best kit available and what does that tell you?

He only does pressure washing, which tells you something else  ;)

Arthur

Steve CM

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2009, 07:05:55 pm »
so what you saying art? ;D ;D

Mr Formby

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2009, 07:07:04 pm »
Only provide 1 service

Steve CM

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2009, 07:08:42 pm »
Only provide 1 service

1 born every minute!  ;D ;D

Mr Formby

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2009, 07:10:40 pm »
 ???

R W C

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2009, 07:13:32 pm »
I happen to agrree, there is no way ill be doing any add ons, im not interested in pressure washing, car valeting, mowing lawns, etc etc etc, stick to one thing, because i stick to one thing it gained me a nice little job today as the previous people where cleaners.

seandyer2003

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2009, 07:24:33 pm »
I happen to agrree, there is no way ill be doing any add ons, im not interested in pressure washing, car valeting, mowing lawns, etc etc etc, stick to one thing, because i stick to one thing it gained me a nice little job today as the previous people where cleaners.

If you have staff etc then do loads of things - it can work

If you are a sole trader you will make more money more consistently by having a full round and working day  in day out

If you work through rain its fine, if not then maybe you could do add ons in rain but its rare you can arrange that to work as it doesnt rain on schedule and people like a time more often than not

So i personally am concentrating on having a good round and doing nothing else

If i am ever desperately strapped i will do add ons

But for now i am not full so do the odd one off - but soon when my books are full that will be it

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2009, 07:47:47 pm »
I find the addon's pay better than window cleaning,.. if it weren't for that then I wouldn't touch them.

Pressure washing can be a great earner,.. you can work in any weather, and get real job satisfaction when you leave a house completely transformed after your visit. Get the right equipment and it isn't too hard work either!

martinsadie

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2009, 07:51:19 pm »
Chris i thought you were washing vans as well  ;D ;D

R W C

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2009, 08:23:16 am »
Chris i thought you were washing vans as well  ;D ;D

I was going to do it but i only want to do windows, dont really want to do fascia, soffits, cons etc really either thats why i pass them on unless its for a custy of mine or will be a new custy, Lately ive been doing a lot of work with another w/c company doing commercial work as they are snowed under.

simon knight

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2009, 08:30:45 am »

LWC simply asked how you price stonewashing and it degenerates into a brawl...amazing ::)

LWC

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2009, 08:33:01 am »

LWC simply asked how you price stonewashing and it degenerates into a brawl...amazing ::)

Good init.  ::)

andyatkinson

« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2009, 08:51:55 am »
and roger brought his fan club to protect him!
you glean any answers from this matt? or do we let roger do it all? ;D

R W C

« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2009, 08:56:57 am »
and roger brought his fan club to protect him!
you glean any answers from this matt? or do we let roger do it all? ;D

Yes stick to windows