Just Finished My Biggest Job Ever!!!
« on: June 17, 2013, 06:22:50 pm »
Just finished, not only my biggest solar job, but biggest job EVER and I have been going 17 years.  ;D

http://www.solar-panel-cleaners.com/blog/toyota-derby-solar-panel-cleaning-british-gas/

I know ALL of you won't like reading it, but hope SOME of you will.  :)

Archer

Re: Just Finished My Biggest Job Ever!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 06:34:25 pm »

Congratulations and really well done Steve.

Times for a nice cuppa and a piece of carrot cake  :D

windiewasher

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 06:47:48 pm »
Now you can buy a new gooseneck
Takings off all first cleans till march 7th 2014
October  total=  cleaned  extra per month
November = cleaned extra per month
Total £  so far.

keyser soze

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 07:01:25 pm »
impressive. how long that take you steve?

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 07:02:24 pm »
Too long,

Dave Willis

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 07:10:04 pm »
So...... how long do you think it will take for the dust to settle again and knock 10% back off the output? About a month I reckon.

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 07:17:41 pm »
impressive. how long that take you steve?
If Alex 'flippant' Wingrove is reading ( ;) ) it took a day and half! In reality, 10 days. :)

DaveG

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 07:18:51 pm »
Top job Steve, but you missed a bit  ;)
You can't polish a turd

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 07:20:33 pm »
Top job Steve, but you missed a bit  ;)
Yep, it's right at the back, but who's gonna walk all the back to check? (Believe me, they will!) :D

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 07:32:10 pm »
Good job on the clean and contract Steve.

It would do my head in. That has got to be some of the most boring work a wfp cleaner can do. 10 days of panel after panel! :-[  ;D

Tomboler

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 08:00:06 pm »
So...... how long do you think it will take for the dust to settle again and knock 10% back off the output? About a month I reckon.
bout...........12 weeks, more likely  ;)

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 08:32:13 pm »
That's fine. We are contracted to do it every 6 months. :D :P

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 08:34:29 pm »
Good job on the clean and contract Steve.

It would do my head in. That has got to be some of the most boring work a wfp cleaner can do. 10 days of panel after panel! :-[  ;D
Get some blistering beats on my iPod, let my OCD kick in and I'm off!!! ;D

Dave Willis

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 08:34:49 pm »
Also how can you possibly estimate 10% loss? No days are the same certainly not ten days later so how can it be measured? Take a reading bang on mid day on a cloudless sky and hope for the same ten days later or what?

Richard60

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 08:48:41 pm »
well done steve

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 08:53:45 pm »
Also how can you possibly estimate 10% loss? No days are the same certainly not ten days later so how can it be measured? Take a reading bang on mid day on a cloudless sky and hope for the same ten days later or what?
If you have studied irradiance, you can do the math. Sorry, it is possible to work it out.

Dave Willis

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 09:00:39 pm »
How?

I'm interested.

Big job like that and I would think the customer is going to want to see results, so how is he going to do it, how will he find out if your ten days of scrubbing at £200+ per day is profitable for him?

lal

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 09:14:40 pm »

Well done Steve, good luck to you.  :)

Regards
lal

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 09:20:20 pm »
A 10% loss per year on that site equates to over £20,000.

You don't need to get into complicated maths, to realize its worth while to get them cleaned every 26 weeks.

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 09:49:32 pm »

Well done Steve, good luck to you.  :)

Regards
lal
Cheers lal! :)

8weekly

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 09:51:50 pm »
It doesn't load on my ipad.

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 09:52:50 pm »

You don't need to get into complicated maths, to realize its worth while to get them cleaned every 26 weeks.
Hi Alex. You are right. For what the array produces, cleaning is awesome value.  :)

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2013, 09:53:30 pm »
It doesn't load on my ipad.
It just loaded on mine.  :)

Dave Willis

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2013, 10:11:18 pm »

Hi Alex. You are right. For what the array produces, cleaning is awesome value.  :)

That's true, but who says it's losing 10%? How is it known? How long does it stay clean? How can it be measured?

ben M

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2013, 10:23:43 pm »
you can be proud of yourself steve, very well done mate  ;)

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2013, 10:33:18 pm »

That's true, but who says it's losing 10%? How is it known? How long does it stay clean? How can it be measured?

Every 60-120 panels is attached to an inverter, these inverters keep logs, from there its very easy to see, the average hourly output, and then daily, seasonal etc,

For a site this large, you will notice a increase that very day its cleaned. So assuming the weather doesn't go from bright sunshine, to thunderstorm, in the space of 8 hours, you will see an accurate figure

From past experience 10% is a very low average figure, I would be inclined to say between 12-14% increase after cleaning. Ive cleaned sites with over 40% loss.

Also you don't spend £250,000 on monitoring systems, if you haven't got anything to monitor.

Alex

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2013, 10:33:38 pm »

Hi Dave. I'll try to answer your questions one at a time.

1. 10% at this point is an estimate. Based on experience from other jobs, I know certain parts of the array would have been losing more.
2. The panels under the tree line, will not be clean as the panels in full open sun. As the article states, this is the very first clean on this site, so as yet, we are unsure how long it will stay clean.
3. It can be measured by the monitoring dept at Toyota and British Gas. Both have expensive equipment to measure the performance of the array. This is not, with all due respect, a cheap residential install of a few panels. This cost millions to install. The panels would have been relatively cheap. The monitoring equipment is not. It has been monitored from day 1 until today. I will be sitting down at some point with British Gas and discussing the figures. Believe me, if they are favourable, which I believe they will be, I will be writing another article explaining the real benefits of solar panel cleaning on this specific site.

Do not underestimate these clients. They are no mugs. They are huge, huge companies who do not throw money away. They have whole departments devoted to monitoring. I cannot fool them. Their tech gives them the info, not me.

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2013, 10:34:09 pm »
[ quote author=ben M link=topic=172231.msg1452059#msg1452059 date=1371504223]
you can be proud of yourself steve, very well done mate  ;)
[/quote]
Cheers Ben.  :)

spongebob

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2013, 10:52:05 pm »

Steve
Ignore the negative vibes.
If you have a contract thats all that matters. If they decide to not clean them in future they will probably have to pay you to take garden leave anyway.
I like the write up you have put on your link. Milk it for all its worth and ignore anyone who tries to drag you down to their level.
Keep it up

Tomboler

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2013, 11:01:34 pm »

Steve
If you have a contract thats all that matters. If they decide to not clean them in future they will probably have to pay you to take garden leave anyway.
I like the write up you have put on your link. Milk it for all its worth and ignore anyone who tries to drag you down to their level.
Keep it up

my comment wasn't meant with negative vibes (man) I was just imagining the deal being struck, nice work if you can get it.

also Steve, ideal job for the widest brush possible, which brush do you use ?

rosskesava

« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2013, 12:00:48 am »
Good grief.

Well done mate.

I wouldn't bother about all the comments about is it worth it in terms of output and all that stuff. If the customer is happy, that's all that matters.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

robertphil

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2013, 06:51:23 am »
leader in your field i would think

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2013, 07:08:15 am »
Research by google says it is not cost effective cleaning solar panels, at least not for them

http://googleblog.blogspot.co.uk/2009/07/should-you-spring-clean-your-solar.html

Dave Willis

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2013, 07:14:30 am »
Negative comments? You halfwits!

That's the very reason I'm asking how it's monitored, how long the clean will last and how these massive companies check the figures. Because no two days are the same it's impossible to get a 100% accurate reading from an inverter.
You can't work out an average - last years would be massively higher - we had a drought right through the spring, wall to wall sunshine, this year has been totally different.
Paint densities on cars can be measured and also ink densities on paper with a densitometer. It may be possible to do something similar in future on a solar panel - maybe reflective light can be measured with a hand held meter.

The figures I've seen so far on peoples websites are wild guesses. Steves estimate is probably one of the lowest I've seen at 10%.

If the figures could be relied on in some way then customers could get a proper figure and see the losses due to dirt and the gains after cleaning.

My own figures on admittedly a much smaller unit show  miniscule gains in productivity after the first year of installation and a covering of dust within a week.

I would expect an increase in productivity on a massive site like that anyway because the days are still getting longer - producing more daylight.

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2013, 08:19:19 am »
Try leaving your panels for 23 months like this site, then clean them and see if you see an increase. That is the reality of what has happened on Toyota. A 10% loss can cost them thousands every day. For Toyota, it is worth the cleaning. :)

Neil Jones

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2013, 11:49:03 am »
Well done Steve great job to have. These companies wouldn't have them cleaned if there wasn't a benefit, simple really.
There is also a tool that measure reflectivity, used on hard floors like marble etc

Dave Willis

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2013, 12:55:46 pm »
Try leaving your panels for 23 months like this site, then clean them and see if you see an increase. That is the reality of what has happened on Toyota. A 10% loss can cost them thousands every day. For Toyota, it is worth the cleaning. :)

I agree. It's the methods of measurement that interests me. 10% of my piddly system will be massively different to 16,000 panels.

bobplum

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2013, 04:53:56 pm »
its so big it wont load

jimiwindows

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2013, 06:07:43 pm »
well done steve it beats doing houses for a tenner

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2013, 07:45:07 pm »

Steve
Keep it up
Cheers spongebob. Spoke to the higher powers at BG today and they are overjoyed with the work.
Some slate what we are doing, I don't bother with them. Some question it, that's fine, I try to answer their questions. If some are interested and even get excited about it, great! If the last group get asked to do such a job, but don't feel they can handle it for whatever reason, hopefully they will recommend me and I will cut them in. But if you don't push the articles and promote a little, no one may ever make a few quid from that job.
Thanks for the encouragement! :)

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2013, 07:46:33 pm »

Steve
Keep it up

my comment wasn't meant with negative vibes (man) I was just imagining the deal being struck, nice work if you can get it.

also Steve, ideal job for the widest brush possible, which brush do you use ?
We have found the gardiners 45cm flocked to be best so far. A great brush for this type of work.

8weekly

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2013, 07:47:45 pm »

Steve
Keep it up
Cheers spongebob. Spoke to the higher powers at BG today and they are overjoyed with the work.
Some slate what we are doing, I don't bother with them. Some question it, that's fine, I try to answer their questions. If some are interested and even get excited about it, great! If the last group get asked to do such a job, but don't feel they can handle it for whatever reason, hopefully they will recommend me and I will cut them in. But if you don't push the articles and promote a little, no one may ever make a few quid from that job.
Thanks for the encouragement! :)
....and some just get bored with it.

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2013, 07:48:02 pm »
Good grief.

Well done mate.

I wouldn't bother about all the comments about is it worth it in terms of output and all that stuff. If the customer is happy, that's all that matters.
Had the powers that matter from BG on the phone today and they are over the moon. Job done all around I say! :)

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2013, 07:49:34 pm »
leader in your field i would think
;D Not sure about that mate! There are people more knowledgable about this than me! I'm just finding my way.

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2013, 07:52:53 pm »
Well done Steve great job to have. These companies wouldn't have them cleaned if there wasn't a benefit, simple really.
There is also a tool that measure reflectivity, used on hard floors like marble etc
Thanks Neil. You are right, there are many tools that can and are used to measure this. I am trying to make a living cleaning them and some poor soul has the job of working out to the nth degree how much benefit it has brought. Rather them than me! ;D

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2013, 07:55:28 pm »
....and some just get bored with it.
But not that bored because they keep checking the thread... :P ;)

Diamond standard ltd

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2013, 08:12:24 pm »
Good job mate nice number there.

MNWC

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2013, 07:15:55 am »
Nice job there steve, how many guys did you have on that ?

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2013, 09:28:02 am »
Nice job there steve, how many guys did you have on that ?

We had upto 5 at any one time.

Sean Dyer

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2013, 10:43:23 am »
let toyota worry about if its cost effective or not

well done mate , nice job

17000 panels at £1 a window means you got 17k a clean right!!  ;D

nice one

« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2013, 03:10:46 pm »

nice one
I would not be doing all that for £1 a panel mate! Would you??? :o

Sean Dyer

« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2013, 01:02:35 pm »

nice one
I would not be doing all that for £1 a panel mate! Would you??? :o

17000 for ten days work? why not lol