deeege

Re: -7 outside shall i even bother trying?
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2013, 05:27:29 pm »
I worked today. -4 first thing and water froze on a lean to, but carried on avoiding WFP on doors and used salt once or twice. This weather may last a while so all those staying at home for fear of upset customers might soon have to go out when the mortgage becomes due. I wonnder if the people not going out are the same ones that are afraid of upsetting customers when there's a threat of rain.  ;)

It's times like this that I have an emergency fund set aside for. It would need to stay frozen until well into April for me to worry about my Mortgage payments :)
Lucky you. But my point really is less to do with money and more to do with attitude.

Agree, and I will be at least giving it a go tomorrow, but with -7 forecast overnight I won't have high hopes of getting any work done.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

JackieW

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2013, 05:33:50 pm »
Well my first customer had an outside thermometer showing minus 4 degrees at 8.30am.

I use WFP cold and I was very surprised to be able to carry on.

Tried to keep water usage down and avoided doing the front doors and pathways.  Apart from my Aquadapter freezing (I think) I was able to carry on.

Steve Sed

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2013, 05:37:08 pm »
This weather is with us for a couple of weeks according to the BBC weathe forecast so unless you have money set aside and don't mind getting behind, best be manning up.  ;D

gewindows

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2013, 05:43:47 pm »
Full day today.

Somewhat under prepared admittedly this morning. Also my R.O. bust a seal this morning.

First job we went to to we got frozen off as the pipes got frozen on the ground, however it was a very exposed location and to be expected. Came home, a kettle of hot water on each reel sorted that out. Just got in now after full day.

Invested in a £40 convector heater from B+Q for the van and a £20 fish tank heater for the water in the van.

Full day planned tomorrow regardless of weather. If this is set to stay for a week or so the £60 investments will be money well spent.

Fin Clearview

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2013, 06:11:40 pm »
I've just got back from sunny Rome, with daytime temp of around 14c, not bad for January! First day back, a grim -2 start. Why haven't we all started up in Australia?!

PoleKing

« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2013, 06:16:47 pm »
I cleaned at -9 this afternoon. Tried to take a picture to show the wife-as I got my phone out it jumped to -7.
Peaked (!) in rural lincolnshire at -5.
2 years ago we cleaned at -14 so can't really complain yet.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

ALF.LEVER

« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2013, 06:42:04 pm »
Heater in van at night , hot water and you can crack on . We even go out when snow on floor customers must understand bills still av to be paid I don't av any seasonal customers I run a all year round window cleaning service . I had a customer last week say can u come next round about end of April scrubbed it of books not interested with customers who just want every now and then were running a business . :P

Mike #1

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2013, 07:12:30 pm »
Temps got up to + 1 today had one custy saying i must be mad and surely cant clean windows when temps were -2 degs .

As i tell them all no work means no money for me only worked 10 hrs this week , I have bills to pay and some days weather can be far worse . Then walk off whistling walking in a winter wonderland  ;D ;D. Mike

ALF.LEVER

« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2013, 07:14:32 pm »
Suppose to go worse bad snow Friday for most of country :'(

SimonBurton

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2013, 07:18:49 pm »
So at what temp will pure freeze? My worry is the cills will be pants...

Mike #1

« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2013, 07:48:59 pm »
It freezes the same as none pure water i am not to concerned about the  sills myself in this freezing weather if their is snow or ice already on sills as i dont want to scratch sills .

It was the same rule when i was trad if it brushes off fine but i wont try to shift solid snow and ice , Never had any complaints in previous bad winters . Mike

gary999

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2013, 07:58:10 pm »
working down to -2 should be okay most places arent covered in snow and ice
yet good flow and everything off the floor as much as poss helps.

did my own house today out of sympathy ;D backpack sits on a foldaway
step and use a shorter hose no problems :)

i think the real freezing problems will set in once we have a good snowfall
and it stays cold for a good while