CLEANCARE WC

-7 outside shall i even bother trying?
« on: January 16, 2013, 10:07:42 am »
im hot wfp (when it decides to work) when i was trying to clear the THICK ice off the van this morning, cold,warm & hot water all froze instantly! so sitting here with a coffee. is it possible to work in these temperatures?
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.

CLEANCARE WC

Re: -7 outside shall i even bother trying?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 10:09:29 am »
and to make matters worse the postie has just walked straight past my house, no cheques today then!

Michael Peterson

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 10:09:37 am »
i was out in minus 5, no probas at all started at 7.30 hot water, didnt go near where people would walk

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 10:11:01 am »
maybe id better give it a try then, thanks michael

TomCrowther

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 10:11:45 am »
Anything is possible, but maybe not advisable. If the tank is water and not ice then you just keep the flow going, never turn it off when at a job. Flask of boiling water to thaw the jets if they freeze and away you go. I personally don't go out when it's that cold.
Only -2 here but still waiting a bit before going out as I find the shady side of houses, half the time where the side door is is much colder, and ice forms instantly making it dangerous.

Dora Jarr

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 10:12:11 am »
I go out when it gets to 4°.

formb

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 10:25:23 am »
-12 here overnight.

Don't do it.

Just say no.

rosskesava

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 10:29:54 am »
Only went down to -3 here last night in Brighton but it's still -1 at 10.30.

Looks like another day off.  :-[
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

Klean07

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 10:44:02 am »
I did two houses yesterday then walked the dog then slipped over on some back ice so I wont be doing a lot today. A windie friend of mine went to Eygpt yesterday wish I had gone too!
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 10:48:16 am »
I did two houses yesterday then walked the dog then slipped over on some back ice so I wont be doing a lot today. A windie friend of mine went to Eygpt yesterday wish I had gone too!

hold on didnt you have a holiday last month? dont be greedy...me first!

gr cleaning solutions

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 10:51:08 am »
-3 now I've been to two different locations and its just frezeeing on the windows  think  going to call it a day only done about four hours this week so far

Klean07

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 10:51:16 am »
I did I too went to Eygpt in the last cold snap in December lol!

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 10:54:38 am »
i honestly think i will take a 2 week holiday next january. i reckon gary999 has got it right  :(

Rayleigh Window Cleaning Services

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 10:56:48 am »
I know we have a living to make, but the thought of someone slipping after a visit from the window cleaner makes it just not worth it.

Even gritting beforehand is all well and good, but if the story ends in tears and someone does get hurt, your going to go through hell with compo claim, H&S

the family involved, all for the sake of a few days.

Enjoy the day.

Steve

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 10:59:17 am »
I know we have a living to make, but the thought of someone slipping after a visit from the window cleaner makes it just not worth it.

Even gritting beforehand is all well and good, but if the story ends in tears and someone does get hurt, your going to go through hell with compo claim, H&S

the family involved, all for the sake of a few days.

Enjoy the day.

Steve

true

landy2

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 11:02:13 am »
not worth the risk to many things against you , did my shops this week going to leave it till monday , not worth all the messing about .

gary999

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 11:05:15 am »
i honestly think i will take a 2 week holiday next january. i reckon gary999 has got it right  :(

first time for everything...me being right :) and its three weeks ;D

Mike #1

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 11:12:49 am »
-4 and not getting any warmer ground temp must  be -7 froze up on some windows water is just warm coming out of brush.

Will keep plodding on started at 10:30 am done 3 will keep trying. Mike

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 11:17:55 am »

first time for everything...me being right :) and its three weeks ;D

yeh yeh dont rub it in, I knew you were having the whole month off  ;D

im just thinking, instead of sitting at home stressing just have a 2 week holiday in the sun! i couldnt afford a month off you must be loaded!  ;D

knowing my luck the weather will be fine when im away then 3 weeks of 3 foot snow= 5 weeks off   ::)

Crystal-clear

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 11:19:07 am »
-3 here was gona go at 11 sod it ill work Saturday instead gona put the kettle on

rosskesava

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 11:25:00 am »
-3 here was gona go at 11 sod it ill work Saturday instead gona put the kettle on

Just been outside and poured some water on the ground - it froze in a few minutes.

Am now definitely having the day off.

Have just put the kettle on also.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

Klean07

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 11:30:07 am »
As others have said on here its just not worth it for the sake of a few days. Its bad enough if we slip but when the custie slips and does some damage then thats another story!

Mike #1

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 11:35:06 am »
Up to -2 now drove 2 miles to a big house looks like I could now get a good half day at least. Mike

home6442

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 01:35:50 pm »
Especially with all these no win no fee claim companys on the go.
Far too easy and tempting for custys to make a claim.
Not worth the risk, work longer and smarter in the warmer months.

Granny

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 01:37:26 pm »
-4 done a lot better than my first attempt a few weeks ago when the poles froze on the first job.
Got the water up to about 20 degrees with the immersion for an hour or so this morning and this time I circulated it through the reel before setting out.  :-[
It's been o.k. this morning about 2 or 3 degrees coming out of the brush but trad the doors and windows above doors which is a real pain but at least still working and not creating a slip hazard.
Tea n toast then going back out :( :(
g.

Fakenham Tony

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 02:29:15 pm »
Was minus 10 here this morning, my tank is just a block of ice, was thinking what the world record is for the largest vodka, coke and ice  :)
In March 2012 I am undertaking a massive challenge to swim 6.4km, cycle 337km and run 83km over 7 days from London to Birmingham to raise money for the charity Diabetes UK
www.brumorbust.com

robertphil

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 02:34:06 pm »
was mighty chilly first thing today "a hore frost" and boy were my workers sqwarking !!  "this is crazy,it wont work ,fingernails feel as if they are growing into the skin ,blah blah blah

i kept up a deadpan / slightly smiling expression on my face as i worked alongside them and now and then i  mentioned "i can feel the sun on my back,quite hot isnt it " as a sort of encouragement to them

g.brookes

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 02:37:52 pm »
I actually got quite warm today. Made a good deal of money, well worth the hassle

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 02:40:15 pm »
was mighty chilly first thing today "a hore frost" and boy were my workers sqwarking !!  "this is crazy,it wont work ,fingernails feel as if they are growing into the skin ,blah blah blah

i kept up a deadpan / slightly smiling expression on my face as i worked alongside them and now and then i  mentioned "i can feel the sun on my back,quite hot isnt it " as a sort of encouragement to them

did you use some sort of anti freeze bobby & did you start any later? you in ipswich totay or colchester?

robertphil

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 02:48:03 pm »
normal start time .  iv been adding a good gloop of car antifreeze to the buckets and have a stash of happy antifreeze now in the van so theres no reason to delay the start! .   we were in felixstowe/walton  today ,ipswich tomoro    

by the way Dan ,that good looker-serial bad payer in Gainsboro road surprisingly paid me online last night, did she feel guilty for owing me ? or maybe that tasty nanny of theirs (that i rowed with but ended up as friends-of a sort )put in a good word for me .

SimonBurton

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2013, 02:54:32 pm »
Rotten n stowmarket today, not helped by fact van off road ATM....

Klean07

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2013, 03:08:29 pm »
Tomorrow is a better day according to weathermen. Its going to get up to 1 degrees woopee!! I'll be out all day then.

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2013, 03:11:41 pm »
normal start time .  iv been adding a good gloop of car antifreeze to the buckets and have a stash of happy antifreeze now in the van so theres no reason to delay the start! .   we were in felixstowe/walton  today ,ipswich tomoro    

by the way Dan ,that good looker-serial bad payer in Gainsboro road surprisingly paid me online last night, did she feel guilty for owing me ? or maybe that tasty nanny of theirs (that i rowed with but ended up as friends-of a sort )put in a good word for me .

Bobby not telling you how to suck eggs but i hope you and your boys are wearing waterproof gloves using anti freeze i only say this as your obviously tougher than me working today!  :o  :)

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2013, 03:15:22 pm »

it cant be guilt otherwise i would still be cleaning her windows! i only charged £10 and she still owes me!  :o

now you know that was SERIOUSLY underpriced, you would think the customer would know they are on a good thing and at least pay up once in a while!

robertphil

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2013, 03:20:27 pm »
i was the only 1 not wearing any gloves and still no coat ! . i believe the others (2 girls) had 2 pairs of gloves on each and 4 pairs of sox

was funny yest one of them had 5 layers of clothing on  but ended up doing an inside job and absolutely roasted in it

robertphil

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2013, 03:36:20 pm »

it cant be guilt otherwise i would still be cleaning her windows! i only charged £10 and she still owes me!  :o

now you know that was SERIOUSLY underpriced, you would think the customer would know they are on a good thing and at least pay up once in a while!
agree with you,£10 for that big georgian was too low.  iv a feeling she will contact me to restart her cleaning ,if by chance she does i will be bringing up the subject of  my friend  Dan ,we agree youre a good looking woman but  whatabout his money 

ALF.LEVER

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2013, 03:46:43 pm »
Hi, if all wfp workers have hot water why you not workin not had a day of this year 8-4 everyday , don't clean any door areas explain to custies they will understand fill trolley with hot water work all day no probs , packed trad window cleaning in 5years ago cause of not workin due to ice / wind and pad stuck to icey windows, all the best !

Steve Sed

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2013, 04:29:44 pm »
I worked today. -4 first thing and water froze on a lean to, but carried on avoiding WFP on doors and used salt once or twice. This weather may last a while so all those staying at home for fear of upset customers might soon have to go out when the mortgage becomes due. I wonnder if the people not going out are the same ones that are afraid of upsetting customers when there's a threat of rain.  ;)

deeege

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2013, 04:49:05 pm »
I worked today. -4 first thing and water froze on a lean to, but carried on avoiding WFP on doors and used salt once or twice. This weather may last a while so all those staying at home for fear of upset customers might soon have to go out when the mortgage becomes due. I wonnder if the people not going out are the same ones that are afraid of upsetting customers when there's a threat of rain.  ;)

It's times like this that I have an emergency fund set aside for. It would need to stay frozen until well into April for me to worry about my Mortgage payments :)
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Steve Sed

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2013, 05:22:44 pm »

It's times like this that I have an emergency fund set aside for. It would need to stay frozen until well into April for me to worry about my Mortgage payments :)
Lucky you. But my point really is less to do with money and more to do with attitude.

deeege

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2013, 05:27:29 pm »

Lucky you. But my point really is less to do with money and more to do with attitude.

Agree, and I will be at least giving it a go tomorrow, but with -7 forecast overnight I won't have high hopes of getting any work done.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

JackieW

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2013, 05:33:50 pm »
Well my first customer had an outside thermometer showing minus 4 degrees at 8.30am.

I use WFP cold and I was very surprised to be able to carry on.

Tried to keep water usage down and avoided doing the front doors and pathways.  Apart from my Aquadapter freezing (I think) I was able to carry on.

Steve Sed

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2013, 05:37:08 pm »
This weather is with us for a couple of weeks according to the BBC weathe forecast so unless you have money set aside and don't mind getting behind, best be manning up.  ;D

gewindows

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2013, 05:43:47 pm »
Full day today.

Somewhat under prepared admittedly this morning. Also my R.O. bust a seal this morning.

First job we went to to we got frozen off as the pipes got frozen on the ground, however it was a very exposed location and to be expected. Came home, a kettle of hot water on each reel sorted that out. Just got in now after full day.

Invested in a £40 convector heater from B+Q for the van and a £20 fish tank heater for the water in the van.

Full day planned tomorrow regardless of weather. If this is set to stay for a week or so the £60 investments will be money well spent.

Fin Clearview

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2013, 06:11:40 pm »
I've just got back from sunny Rome, with daytime temp of around 14c, not bad for January! First day back, a grim -2 start. Why haven't we all started up in Australia?!

PoleKing

« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2013, 06:16:47 pm »
I cleaned at -9 this afternoon. Tried to take a picture to show the wife-as I got my phone out it jumped to -7.
Peaked (!) in rural lincolnshire at -5.
2 years ago we cleaned at -14 so can't really complain yet.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

ALF.LEVER

« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2013, 06:42:04 pm »
Heater in van at night , hot water and you can crack on . We even go out when snow on floor customers must understand bills still av to be paid I don't av any seasonal customers I run a all year round window cleaning service . I had a customer last week say can u come next round about end of April scrubbed it of books not interested with customers who just want every now and then were running a business . :P

Mike #1

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2013, 07:12:30 pm »
Temps got up to + 1 today had one custy saying i must be mad and surely cant clean windows when temps were -2 degs .

As i tell them all no work means no money for me only worked 10 hrs this week , I have bills to pay and some days weather can be far worse . Then walk off whistling walking in a winter wonderland  ;D ;D. Mike

ALF.LEVER

« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2013, 07:14:32 pm »
Suppose to go worse bad snow Friday for most of country :'(

SimonBurton

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2013, 07:18:49 pm »
So at what temp will pure freeze? My worry is the cills will be pants...

Mike #1

« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2013, 07:48:59 pm »
It freezes the same as none pure water i am not to concerned about the  sills myself in this freezing weather if their is snow or ice already on sills as i dont want to scratch sills .

It was the same rule when i was trad if it brushes off fine but i wont try to shift solid snow and ice , Never had any complaints in previous bad winters . Mike

gary999

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2013, 07:58:10 pm »
working down to -2 should be okay most places arent covered in snow and ice
yet good flow and everything off the floor as much as poss helps.

did my own house today out of sympathy ;D backpack sits on a foldaway
step and use a shorter hose no problems :)

i think the real freezing problems will set in once we have a good snowfall
and it stays cold for a good while