g.brookes

Dog in the van
« on: November 03, 2012, 05:51:13 pm »
Evening chaps, calling on the advice on those who have a dog in the van.
 I got a dog last week from an animal sanctuary with the aim of her coming in the van with me.  Has anyone got any tips for me?  At the moment she hates being left alone, so im currently training her at leaving her alone in the van.  She currently barks all the time and dont know if anyones got advice in getting her more relaxed?

Re: Dog in the van
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 05:52:53 pm »
She sounds like a teenager.

Halfadaylee

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 06:09:01 pm »
She sounds like a teenager.

I'm sure he could take the dog back, Ive nowhere to take my teenagers  ???

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 06:12:58 pm »
I read somewhere that electric shocks and punching them can have the desired effect.

mikeyfaerosyth

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 06:14:29 pm »
start off in your house giving her a treat when you leave room and she doesnt bark,then do same in van,might work.

Mike #1

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 06:15:43 pm »
I read somewhere that electric shocks and punching them can have the desired effect.

Fuc*ing idiot

Mike #1

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 06:22:02 pm »
It will take time mate but while you are with your dog at home spend as much time with her as you can get her up on couch and let her sit with YOU as much as possible .

Basically she is lacking confidence and attention seeking so needs that reassurance just do as much as you can  walking and playing just to get the confidence in her it might take months we have always had rescue dogs and it takes time .

If you leave her at home at any time put radio on local radio with loads of talking on although classic fm used to chill our last dog right out . Mike

landy2

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 06:25:35 pm »
hello mr brookes i often see you cleaning the hairdressers next to royal bank of scotland in stockport , allways in a rush will let on next time , have you seen the window cleaner in there who has his window pockets nearly touching the floor when he walks.

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 06:41:50 pm »
You can try this at your house,leave the dog in the van and then completely ignore the barking,when the dog desists from barking then open the van and give it a treat,patience required obviously.Try not to reappear whilst the dog is still barking and unfortunately thats what is probably happening when you bring him out with you now,this will only re-inforce in the dogs head that its barking got a result.It needs a result(the treat)when it stops barking.

g.brookes

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 06:54:26 pm »
cheers for the advice chaps.
 i know its probably best to leave her their until she stops barking.  im just worried im gonna be hiding behind the van for hours until she stops and she could hurt herself.  i have to take her with me on monday to clean my shops and im worried im gonna have to come back after every shop cleaned, or just leave her there and come back when i come back.  just worried the latter option will stress her out too much

landy i know the guy you mean, he does some of the shops by the air raid.  thats not you is it?

any more advice about dogs in vans would be great.  currently she always wants to be in the same room as me at home as well, need to teach her independence

simonr

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 07:03:21 pm »
training with treats is the way but it can take ages,best advice i can give is get yourself a quality seat cover not the crap from halfords or pets at home - they dont last  oh aye lots of air freshener

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 07:06:05 pm »
Does genocide work on  four legged critters?  My custards swear by it.

landy2

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 07:18:24 pm »
no its not . ;D ;D ;D

he does a lot of shops in there , looks like he has no work in him hes there every day only seen him clean a window once , always walking around .

Spruce

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 08:39:53 pm »
We 'inherited' a Lab cross sheep dog from my daughter when they moved into a flat and then they moved to London. He was still a puppy at 9 months old - more than a bit wild.

First day alone in the back garden he wrecked the place. Second day he finished the place off.

Third day in desperation I put him in the front of the van (has a dual passenger seat) and was as 'happy as larry'. Now he is ready and waiting at the front door when it's time to go to work.
In the early days if I went round the back where I couldn't be seen then he would bark a bit. I did put the pole down and come back to the van and talk to him. Once he had settled, I went back to the job. I didn't get much done those first few days.

Now 3 years later he doesn't worry if I'm away for an extended period - he's in the van and that's all that counts and I will come back. As long as he hears the pump he just sleeps. Occassionally he goes ballistic if another dog comes by, but I react as quick as possible if I hear a lot of aggressive barking.

Unfortunately you have to expect some dogs jumping up at the doors and scratching the paint work and you also need to ensure that you carry your van keys around at all times - in the excitement they can lock themselves in the van.

In the summer you need to carry a water bowl and you need to leave the windows partially open. I have also turned my van around so the sun doesn't come in through the windscreen even if not convenient, and put a towel up at the side window to stop the sun if necessary. You also need to be aware of the weather. A cloudy cool day can turn hot for a dog in a short period of time when the sun comes out. I do regular checks on him to ensure he isn't too hot - ie panting. He has a black coat and gets hot quickly.

At times I have used to opportunity to take him for a walk at lunch time on one of the many walking tracks we have in our area. So I carry a roll of poo bags with me in the van. I also carry a Hozelok spray nozzle that I can connect up to the hose port with the same hose I use for the hose reel and wash the mud off him. Also carry a towel especially to dry him off. I also have a towel across the front seats and just put up with the amount of hair this dog sheds. Regular hoovering keeps on top of it.

There can be times occassionally when its too hot to take him out. He then stays at home. He isn't happy, but its in his best interests.

And then in winter the van is the best place to be in. If it gets too cold then I put the diesel air heater on and keep the cabin cool to warm (18 - 20 degrees) while I'm freezing my butt off outside.

Having your dog around is good company, but will reduce your productivity, guaranteed. Customer's enjoy talking to him sometimes and I have also heard the remark often that 'I see you have brought the boss around with you'.

Customers see you as soft hearted when you have a dog, if you are a dog lover then you are OK in most people's books.

I never carried treats around - it would be my luck that I would teach him that barking is a way to get a treat.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

simonr

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 08:47:44 pm »
you can get unspillable water bowls for about £12, well handy

Fin Clearview

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 09:42:24 pm »
I have taken my Jack Russell with me to work for the last 3 years since he was 12 weeks bar the hot summer days when I leave him at home. He is my best mate and I love having him with me, the best employee I've had to date! We've had our moments though, when he was a pup he cut his teeth chewing up the hand brake, pop up door locks and digging a hole in my seat! To nowadays when I let him out and he spots a cat he hits the ground like usain bolt going absolutely nuts. He's brilliant though, many custy's seem to look forward to seeing him more than me which is quite worrying! He gets fussed over every day and has since I had him which has made him a lovely dog, great to anyone that goes near him in the van. He makes me laugh every morning as I get my work gear on he waits for me at the front door, he's much keener than I am that's for sure. Anyway good luck with your dog it will payoff in the end mate.

*just read spuce's post after writing this funny how we all share the same experiences when having a working dog.

Dave Garrett

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 10:34:58 pm »
Buy a thundershirt from pets at home calmed mine down perfect now ...

g.brookes

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2012, 10:58:27 pm »
ah thanks for the considered replies chaps.  lots of useful info.  i know for a fact that she is gonna bark a lot to start with.  just a case of getting her used to it and trusting that i am going to return, before someone calls rspca!
i bet it will reduce my productivity, but im a bit of a slacker anyway!

Mike #1

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2012, 07:25:49 am »
Take her for a drive out in van today and pop into shop and see how she reacts just been in  a car or van is an adventure for a dog as they are curious and need mental stimulation .

My dog is obsessed with going my truck with me had her at work a few times she just goes to sleep . Anytime we go out for a walk she wants to be in truck . Sits on the back seat and i put bulkhead window down and she just looks out window when driving around , Good Luck Mate . Mike

EandM

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2012, 10:17:02 am »
I've had two Greyhounds that both came to work with me. The retired racer used to sleep on the passenger seat most of the day as he was the most bone idle creature I've ever met, waking only if we were near Burger King or I'd been to the Bakery. The puppy was quite insane and used to bounce around the inside of the truck and was just too wound up to be of any help, especially when she ate the side bolster of a new drivers seat - miss'em both though.