lee09

Re: 1 in 3 customers - leave it this month...
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2010, 09:32:14 pm »

I do not think it's a common problem. We all have or have had customers that like to dictate when they use us, the trick is to fill the round with customers that accept that it is your only source of income, that you work all year round and that they may get 2 or 3 cleans a year on wet days.

Bfg has a valid point about communication. Providing they know when to expect you and can rely on you, most will accept that we have to make a living. The others get dropped.
Lee

I agree with this mostly. I see it this way.........if you have customers who you are scared to ring incase they cancell or you just turn up so they can't then there's already a problem .You aint getting the right customers, drop them. Drop them with a smile and tell them to get back in touch when they want to get back on the round and bump the price accordingly when they do. The jist of it is never stop looking for new solid reliable customers if you're providing a solid reliable service. Don't accept any less than they would. Give ya best and expect it too!!
hallelujah. Thanks.

clearlyclean

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2010, 10:04:48 pm »
I would them up next month and tell you cant clean their windows this month ;D see how they take that,i hate it when people say they want a regular window cleaner and all you they want is them cleaned when they cant see out of them...

Paul Coleman

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2010, 03:32:41 am »
Hi Sean that's interesting.

My daughter's a self employed mobile hairdresser and has been for two years. She was a bit panicky in August as her monthly rate dropped by 25% and she even helped me out for a couple of days to top up her earnings.

However looking back at her last year's figures she dropped about 20% in August then. In fact she says bookings are really on the up for Sept/October and has worked out that a lot of it is seasonal.

I find an August dip to be pretty normal.  I clean as many windows but the cashflow is tighter because of delayed payments due to holidays.  In a business like hairdressing where the customer (obviously) has to be around to get the service, it would easily translate to a drop in turnover.  This is yet another reason why pre-notifying window cleaning customers is something I've largely shied away from.  Customer on holiday = no access = no money.  No problem if there are gaps in the work but money loss if working flat out.

Dave Anderson

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2010, 07:52:12 am »
As with all things in business..if you watch the business closely enough and over time you will see small trends occurring and perhaps re-occurring.

With each customer that wants the winter skip...go out as soon as you know about it and get 2 customers for that 'skipper'...

Nobody likes it but it's a part of the game....see it that way and not as a personal issue.

Cheers
Dave.

ps easier said than done.
The more I know the less I know I know ...

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2010, 08:51:24 am »
How long have you been Window Cleaning? And how long phoning ahead?

I think to offer the phone ahead service the price needs to be premium. (See my site)

General monthly cleaning you could simply send an email or text as then they would have to do something in order to cancel rather than just respond to your call.

Window cleaners never used to call before hand, I still only do this on premium customers.

dazmond

« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2010, 09:29:36 am »
ive been window cleaning for 16 years and never get more than a handful every year saying "not this time".usually its because of a impending holiday and /or building work etc,etc.

i only text/ring the odd one for access.ive NEVER had one of these custies say"leave it this time"!!

nearly all my custies are 4 weekly.

what frequency are your cleans and are you too expensive for the frequency of the clean?

due to bad weather and shorter days in winter the odd "not today"doesnt affect me really.most of my custies ive cleaned for years ALL YEAR ROUND with no problems whatsoever.

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

Helen

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2010, 11:09:29 am »
Might be good for you?  If there wasnt an issue why are people raising it?

The initial post did not mention winter months and the comment of "letting staff go" does not suggest that this is happening just recently! It has developed into "winter months"

Phoning ahead for gate access when you have staff is a MUST. It's obvious why so won't go there.

Winter custies have never been a problem as when taken on, it's explained "all year round" or not at all.
 The "issue" we all have to face is that there is an economic crisis! From rich to poor custies, they have all got used to living to their means and in some ways everyone will be hit by cutbacks.
It is true that there will always be someone who wants a window cleaner, but it is also very true that having your windows cleaned is a "luxury" service that in all honesty when money is short, is not required!
1 in 3 does seem to be very high though and if I were you I would speak to these again and ask if they want to extend the frequency of cleans. Of course this would be an increase of some sorts to them, but "selling " it over the yearly cost is the best way. :)

geefree

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2010, 10:30:22 pm »
I avoid locked gates , so i only have to have contact with them after the clean....

for the money.

If i asked all my customers , if they wanted them cleaned this month, i bet 50% would say no.

It has to be done with some of you i know, ... but a couple of years ago ,i text lots fo customers to leave gates open etc, ...

it was a nusiance,as they replied ok !... then the gate was locked !.... they forgot!

i dont think !

Also it gave them the opportunity to say leave it this month, ..

i tend to do locked gates as a "one off " clean , and its priced accordingly ,as generally they are other cleaners cast off ,s .

problems.

prestige cleaners

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2010, 10:43:23 pm »
ive got so many custies, im glad when they skip, gives me a chance to catch up! i dont think ive managed to get all my custs in their specified week since may!

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2010, 10:56:51 pm »
love it dirty boy. i thought i was the only one not getting to my custies right on time..... everyone talks about f&s cleans gutter cleaning etc. i just love cleaning windows and dont have time for anything else :D except the family ;)

traps7

« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2010, 11:20:58 pm »
ive been window cleaning for 16 years and never get more than a handful every year saying "not this time".usually its because of a impending holiday and /or building work etc,etc.

i only text/ring the odd one for access.ive NEVER had one of these custies say"leave it this time"!!

nearly all my custies are 4 weekly.

what frequency are your cleans and are you too expensive for the frequency of the clean?

due to bad weather and shorter days in winter the odd "not today"doesnt affect me really.most of my custies ive cleaned for years ALL YEAR ROUND with no problems whatsoever.

dazmond
I think you got a good point there Dazmond.

mci services

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2010, 11:28:38 pm »
I agree many on here charge an awful lot for what they provide and wonder why they lose customers, to undercutting or winter or all manner of other excuses