MATT BATEMAN (OWC)

Rear side doors.
« on: April 12, 2013, 01:50:26 pm »
To me one is a requirement, but are two side doors a real advantage if the tank is mounted a couple of feet back from the bulkhead?

Spruce

Re: Rear side doors.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 02:18:05 pm »
To me one is a requirement, but are two side doors a real advantage if the tank is mounted a couple of feet back from the bulkhead?

Yes and no. It is certainly easilier to access anything on the off side behind the bulkhead in our business.

In the industry they see it as a waste of space as you loose loading area. So while this probably won't apply to our business it will reduce the van's resale value, unless you find someone who specifically wants 2 side loading doors.

The smaller car derived vans, ie Berlingo and even Dispatch can still sell to 2 rear sliding door advantage, but the bigger Transit type vans can't. (When selling Dispatches we got several requests to disable the off side sliding door, making it a fixed panel. This was so deliveries could be stacked up on that side. Unloading a van from the 'wrong' door in the traffic flow also went against some company's health and safety assessments.

In all the time I worked in commercial van sales, I never sold a Citroen Relay with the twin side sliding doors factory option. 
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

dd

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 03:16:29 pm »
I find it useful and prefer that option. I have a dispatch. Squeegee bucket one side, other used for access to undo ladder clamp and can put other stuff there as well as between tank and bulkhead.

2 sliding doors also gives all round access to tank, which could make it easier to fit, change hose etc.

Spruce

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 03:34:10 pm »
Matt B was looking toward a Transit Custom, and this was what my reply was focused on. Yes, for our business it is a worthwhile option but won't help when it comes to resale, especially with this size of vehicle.

Saying that the new Ford Custom SWB is smaller than the current SWB Transit inside, so who knows what their thinking is behind that.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

dd

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 04:10:52 pm »
For me re-sale value is not much of an issue as I keep my vehicles a long time (currently 7 years and still going strong). Also I think using a van for wfp detracts from its value due to the heavy load carried and the possibility of water leaks leading to rusty floor.

Sometimes the vans are sold on with system still in place.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 04:14:32 pm »
I got 2 rear sliding doors on my expert...I use them both all the time very handy :)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 04:47:22 pm »
When I bought the Doblo new on a '56 I could choose either none or two sliding doors at extra cost. I went for two and am glad I did.

The Hyundai came std with two but I would have chosen them if it were an option.

I run a side reel out of one side anyway and I can pull out all my spare pole sections, gate openers and cack from the other.

Wouldn't dream of running a w/c van with out two sliding doors.
It's a game of three halves!

niceandclean

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 05:05:50 pm »
I am used to two sliding doors now. Hose reel for each side door, both fixed, and one portable reel from the back.

MATT BATEMAN (OWC)

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 06:01:42 pm »
I am used to two sliding doors now. Hose reel for each side door, both fixed, and one portable reel from the back.

That's the kind of setup I'm thinking of.

niceandclean

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 06:31:30 pm »
It works well for me, just pull up and use the best located hose reel. Most will probably say its overkill, but hey ho!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 09:42:48 pm »
It works well for me, just pull up and use the best located hose reel. Most will probably say its overkill, but hey ho!

No, it's great - I did it for a while but dropped to one side and the one rear and the other side is useful for paperwork, gloves, cack etc.
It's a game of three halves!