wayne 77

canvassing companies
« on: December 11, 2009, 05:24:28 pm »
I am sorry if this has been raised before, has anyone used a canvassing company they would recommend? I intend to use one in the new year but have found opinions vary on whether to use one or not. I am starting from scratch so would welcome any suggestions on this. I intend to use a company to get me a foundation on which to build my business.  Thanks

concept

Re: canvassing companies
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 05:33:51 pm »
just use the search button and make your own mind up.

there was even a poll a few weeks ago.

dont use them, any of them, EVER!!

you have been warned.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 05:34:20 pm »
You'll be much better off doing it yourself.  You know what sort of work you want, how much you want for it etc.

A canvassing company is only interested in getting names on a list.  Some of the more disreputable ones have been known to pull strokes like promising the custies they can cancel after the first clean, etc.

They promise to refund any that cancel, but once you've parted with your money, it could be a hard job to get it back.

Canvassing isn't hard, or rocket science.  While you're starting up you've got all the time in the world to do your own canvassing, because you haven't got any windows to clean ;D

Save yourself a fortune and create a good feeling of achievement by building your own round.

Steve CM

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 05:34:44 pm »
bad week simon? ;D

chill its the weekend ;) 8)

concept

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 05:48:43 pm »
Nah, I just hate these c u next tuesdays. Hate them with a passion.

Just goin to chill when the bird eventually gets here with mr magners.  8)

Steve CM

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 05:51:10 pm »
done a gutter job today and wern't feeling quite right so came home about 2pm and conked out feel a little flu coming on.

No Booze this weekend!

saving myself for next friday when me and the boys are going out for a ruby up in Stony and then onto the strippers Hub for some drinking! ;) ;D

Murdie window cleaning

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 05:53:01 pm »
You'll be much better off doing it yourself.  You know what sort of work you want, how much you want for it etc.

A canvassing company is only interested in getting names on a list.  Some of the more disreputable ones have been known to pull strokes like promising the custies they can cancel after the first clean, etc.

They promise to refund any that cancel, but once you've parted with your money, it could be a hard job to get it back.

Canvassing isn't hard, or rocket science.  While your starting up you've got all the time in the world to do your own canvassing, because you haven't got any windows to clean ;D

Save yourself a fortune and create a good feeling of achievement by building your own round.

I'll go along with what Ian says about doing it your self. I've no experiance of using round builders, but I've been going just over 2 months and I've got over 70 customers just by knocking on doors and giving my pitch. Like has been said if you are only starting you should have plenty time to go out canvassing, I normaly clean in the morning and canvass later on in the day.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 05:59:38 pm »
And another good tip:

Spend more time canvassing and less time on here ;D

DaveG

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 06:45:29 pm »
I used a canvasser to get me started and he did a fantastic job on the whole, BUT ..i recommeded him to a mate and all he did was p*** him around and in the end my mate ended up taking him to court over it!

When i started i was also working for another window cleaner , so it was difficult to canvass myself.

For the money i paid i had a great little business and im building on that every day and am soon going to be in the position where i might employ someone (hopefully).

I know when ever a canvassing thread comes up on here a lot of you guys jump in and say they are all robbing numptys, but this wasnt the case for me (although he didnt do my mate any favours)..

What i would recommened to anyone starting out now is if you can do it yourself then fine, go for it, but if youre trying to make ends meet (working) then maybe advertise for a canvasser on Gumtree or similar  or maybe get a friend, with the gift of the gab, to do it for you!!

Cheers Dave
You can't polish a turd

niceandclean

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 09:23:21 pm »
Bar buying a few rounds, i have always used a canvassing company with no problems what so ever. They do regular work for me each month, but not as often i as like as they are so busy,  but i keep adding to my rounds most months which is good. I have tried Gumtree for canvassers but had no luck, never the right calibre of person to represent my business, and to me thats the most important thing, well along with the pricing. I have spoken with a couple of guys that canvass for Zenith windows and the gas companies, had a few interested, exchanged telephone numbers ect, organised a few nights out to show them how to do it,  but when it came down to doing the do, it never happened.

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 09:30:53 pm »

Canvassing isn't hard, or rocket science.  While your starting up you've got all the time in the world to do your own canvassing, because you haven't got any windows to clean ;D

I'll go along with what Ian says about doing it your self. I've no experiance of using round builders, but I've been going just over 2 months and I've got over 70 customers just by knocking on doors and giving my pitch. Like has been said if you are only starting you should have plenty time to go out canvassing, I normaly clean in the morning and canvass later on in the day.
Been going 2 months and 464 posts on here, is that a record?

Murdie window cleaning

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 10:46:55 pm »

Been going 2 months and 464 posts on here, is that a record?

Sorry I didn't think an average of 4 posts per day was that excesive, but if someone had told me I had to be a member for 4 years before I started posting then I would have been aware of the restrictions  ::)

wayne 77

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 07:42:49 am »
Thanks for all comments.I always  intended to do some canvassing because i have done plenty in the past but for a different business. If nobody can recommend one maybe in the future i will offer this service myself. Rome was not built in a day,but it also was not built by a one man band.