WavieDavie

Damage to frames from WFP?
« on: October 25, 2006, 06:05:37 pm »
A property manager (PM) from a firm we work for rang me and said there was a complaint from a customer on the second floor in a block of flats we do for them.

From what I can gather, the person was in for the first time when we last cleaned the flats and reckons we're damaging her windows and frames. Now, I know that there might be a noise when the brush lands on the window after carrying the pole "aloft", but I was using one of Gardiner's Super-Lite Poles !!

I've explained about WAHR, given the PM loads of links to pertinent WAHR regs, working at height, using ladders etc. etc., and she's passed that on to the lady in question who's adamant that she doesn't want wfp on her windows ever again.

I've arranged to meet the PM  tomorrow on site, but I'd appreciate any advice from anyone with similar experience.

Our correspondence so far is on a different forum http://tinyurl.com/s9nnd as CIU wouldn't accept over 5500 characters! - please remember I'll be showing your replies to the PM and that I won't be walking away from the job as we do other work for them too. I've previously taken time out to explain WFP to the Chair of the Residents Committee and she seems quite happy now she understands the principle behind it.

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry about the cross-posting!
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

Malcal

Re: Damage to frames from WFP?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 11:58:06 pm »
Hi Davie
Do you clean any windows above the clients, will there be a future problem with dirty dripping water on to the clients windows. Have you ever cleaned these windows without your "broom".
Regards Mal

Trevor Knight

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 03:48:15 am »
Personally I would visit the flat and ask her to show where the damage is ocurring, have a look, show the PM and take it from there?
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

WavieDavie

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 07:00:37 am »
Malcal
Nothing above, she's top flat.  We've been doing them for years trad off ladders but wfp for about 6 months.

Trevor
She says she can't meet, but I'll get a close up off ladders to satisfy myself.

The frames are quite narrow, I think the noise is when the edge of the brush hits the brickwork on each side.
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 08:15:40 am »
Trevor
She says she can't meet, but I'll get a close up off ladders to satisfy myself.

Take a digital camera up there with you.

WavieDavie

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 08:10:52 pm »
Tosh
I've suggested that she brings one along for our next visit and I can take close-ups for her. It was a bit blustery today for a full-blown demo, I showed her how a brush would splay out on a ground floor window and mimicked the action as if there was a pole attached, she was quite taken with the techie side so she's going to pop along when we're there next for a "working" visit.

Davie,

I may be wrong on this but she points out one thing which does scare customers, '  banging that broom into the woodwork on the windows ' .

When cleaning the windows do you tend to make a lot of noise with the brush hitting the sides, had a 
 lad who used to do this and customers were not happy as the noise filtrates through the whole house.

Just a thought may be wrong.

Doug

Hi Doug

That's one thing I mentioned to PM. I demonstrated on a ground floor window and the ends of the brush make contact with the brickwork on the top pane, but make a dull thud on the main window frame itself when cleaning the bottom one which is further away from the sill. I can only assume that there must be a small void between the frame and the bulding itself and that the noise is somehow amplified by the time the occupants hear it.

What turned up from one of the residents I spoke to was that the windows were painted 2.5 years ago with a 5 year guarantee and it's that rotten job which is making mine look bad - it appears that they put only one coat on top of a pretty guffy one-coat job before them and at present, it's falling to bits with flaky paint and bare wood in evidence all over the place on lower edges of frames and sills, because they painted in the rain on wet wood. Three residents have changed to uPVC windows as they were a bit hacked off with the ongoing problems.

Anyway, PM is now conversant with WFP and how it works and thinks it's a very clever idea how the water dries leaving a clean window! However, she's quite new to the firm and is now going to have to drop whoever spec'd the last paint job in the brown stuff - Ho Hum. Hope they've left!

The windows are of an age where quite a few of the d/g units are starting to blow their seals. Of the three I examined close-up, two are showing signs of this already and of the other four, you can see two quite clearly from the ground. I think the client's been looking at the blurry windows and assumed it was our bad job. 

After asking outright was I vindicated, PM said of course - so I'm a happier bunny. And it turns out that the person making the complaint will still have to pay her share of the communal window cleaning bill even if she does use someone else!

Result !!

Davie Park

Trevor Knight

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 06:28:56 pm »
I may be wrong on this but she points out one thing which does scare customers, '  banging that broom into the woodwork on the windows ' .

When cleaning the windows do you tend to make a lot of noise with the brush hitting the sides, had a 
 lad who used to do this and customers were not happy as the noise filtrates through the whole house.

Just a thought may be wrong.

I bet it doesn't scare her half as much as when you go up your ladder and she sees someones face staring at them unexpectedly, how many times have we made customers jump by just suddenly appearing at their windows??
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire