DJW

Robbing Barstewards!
« on: February 01, 2024, 11:03:35 am »
Just sold a van and cancelled the insurance thinking i may get a refund on the remaining months.
After they charged their £80+ cancellation fees I actually had to pay extra money!

One Sure can do one in future!

Edited to onesure not A-Plan

AuRavelling79

Re: Robbing Barstewards!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2024, 11:07:20 am »
Just sold a van and cancelled the insurance thinking i may get a refund on the remaining months.
After they charged their £80+ cancellation fees I actually had to pay extra money!

A-plan can do one in future!

£80+ cancellation fee? Thanks for the heads up.
It's a game of three halves!

deeege

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2024, 11:40:29 am »
Last time I made an amendment with Aplan the fee was £25, you’ll probably find it’s the insurance company making the charge and not the broker (Aplan!)

Also, why on earth did you cancel it if the cancellation fee was more than the rebate? Just let it expire and the cost is zero?
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2024, 01:21:15 pm »
But eeez jus a window cleaner in it, don’t no know betta 🤣

But as he’s earning £1000’s a day and lights his ciggies with rolled up £20’sthe insurance thought he wouldn’t mind the charge 🤭
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

zesty

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2024, 01:42:43 pm »
That’s the window cleaner tax, they read this forum and know you earn £130,000 a year on part time hours.

On a serious note, that’s shocking! Maybe us window cleaners should charge a cancellation fee.

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2024, 02:47:08 pm »
Wife was a named driver on my insurance with them. She had an accident in her car and my insurance the following year nearly doubled.
When I queried the price increase it was because of my wife's accident. She was now a greater risk. When I told them to remove her as a named driver, they told me the insurance cost would be the same as having her as a named driver reduced my insurance cost originally.

Told them to buzz off and I went to Aviva who were cheaper than I was paying before my wife's accident.

They won't see me again.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

DJW

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2024, 02:49:36 pm »
Last time I made an amendment with Aplan the fee was £25, you’ll probably find it’s the insurance company making the charge and not the broker (Aplan!)

Also, why on earth did you cancel it if the cancellation fee was more than the rebate? Just let it expire and the cost is zero?

Because if it is involved in an accident guess who’s going to get the bill?

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2024, 02:55:18 pm »
I stopped using their services this year as well for similar reasons.

They found me a pretty good liability cover two years ago for just under £100. When it came up for renewal it had gone up by nearly £50 when in previous years it had only ever gone up by reasonable amounts. They gave me all the usual excuses when I queried it. So I did a search on one of the 'compare the market' type sites. I found the exact same insurance with the same insurer. It had gone up by the reasonable amount I'd expected, only they then added some £40+ extra for administration. Proof came a few days later with their email quote all itemised.

Then when they quoted for our family car insurance renewal it was nearly £1000 because (so they said) it was because of a minor incident with a parked car I'd had 18 months ago which the insurers paid out on. So again I went on line and found better insurance with another insurer - even with notifying them of the incident - at almost half the cost. So APlan/Howden have lost my custom
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

deeege

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2024, 03:15:24 pm »

You get the bill if a vehicle you no longer own is involved in an accident?  That’s not true, whether you are insured on it or not the new owner gets the bill.

Look up non-owner insurance.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Perfect Windows

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2024, 04:31:46 pm »

You get the bill if a vehicle you no longer own is involved in an accident?  That’s not true, whether you are insured on it or not the new owner gets the bill.

Look up non-owner insurance.

Not necessarily true.

Chap I was at school with sold a motorbike and left the insurance running pending buying a new bike. The new owner seriously injured someone, uninsured.

Driver wasn't insured but the bike still was so his insurer paid out.

Our man is then taken to court by the insurer for the cash as it wasn't being ridden by an insured driver and he had allowed that to happen.

When I heard the tale he was just on the point of moving after having to sell his house. This was several years ago (and I heard the story second hand) so it might be that the law has changed or that I misunderstood something but it's not always as clear cut as common sense might suggest.

Vin

Bungle

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2024, 05:05:38 pm »
My renewal for my van came today. £265 last year, £365 this year. I'll be going on the comparison sites over the weekend.
We look at them, they look through them.

Bungle

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2024, 05:08:42 pm »
Oh and don't use National Tyres. £122 each online but if you phone them up they're £178 each. And you have to book a slot costing £3. No explanation given when I questioned it. I've got Halfords coming to change the tyres on my drive on Saturday. £111 each plus a £5 discount for being a member.

Tristan R Clean

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2024, 06:25:48 pm »
£365 is pretty cheap.

Average price for van insurance now is around the £500 mark.

Of course you need to tell them everything- carrying water tank  etc.
Or they won’t pay out if you do claim.
😉

T

dazmond

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2024, 11:57:34 pm »
Oh and don't use National Tyres. £122 each online but if you phone them up they're £178 each. And you have to book a slot costing £3. No explanation given when I questioned it. I've got Halfords coming to change the tyres on my drive on Saturday. £111 each plus a £5 discount for being a member.

No need to use national tyres or halfords.i got 2 for my van from a local tyre place (2 min walk away)for £85 fitted!😄👍
price higher/work harder!

DJW

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2024, 07:37:13 am »
part worn or five star?

Bungle

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2024, 09:51:19 am »

No need to use national tyres or halfords.i got 2 for my van from a local tyre place (2 min walk away)for £85 fitted!😄👍

Why didn't you drive there?

Smudger

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2024, 11:57:25 am »
🤣
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2024, 12:53:34 pm »
I can only assume the NWH had been banned, otherwise this thread would normally be at least 6 pages long!!🤔🤣
Comfortably Numb!

DJW

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2024, 03:28:07 pm »
Where did he go?

Smudger

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2024, 04:27:39 pm »

Bungle

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2024, 04:27:56 pm »
Where did he go?

Last seen taking a walk to the tyre shop.

Spruce

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2024, 04:39:48 pm »

Kwikfit are the same. The Kwikfit online tyre price is much cheaper than if you phone the branch for the same tyre.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Splash & dash

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2024, 04:46:05 pm »

Kwikfit are the same. The Kwikfit online tyre price is much cheaper than if you phone the branch for the same tyre.

All this type of tyre company are the same it’s false advertising, we use a privately owned tyre firm,  service is always top notch ,good advice given and always better on price than the nationals , and can supply and fit anything within 24 hours very unlike to get that from a national they want up to two weeks to fix a puncture!,,,, lol

NBwcs

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2024, 09:02:06 pm »

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2024, 10:13:44 pm »
For tyres try 'blackcircles.com'👍
Comfortably Numb!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2024, 10:48:30 pm »
Where did he go?

Overdosed on male cow excrement?

NWH is not presently banned.

Let's not speculate further in this thread.
It's a game of three halves!