Perfect Windows

Re: new van a year old now!service time...
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 05:06:13 pm »
Well i was told by a Fiat main dealer nowadays as long as the garage uses the genuine parts and is VAT registered then the warranty is not void (that is with Fiat may be different with Ford) .

It's a law (brought in by the evil EU) to prevent main dealers ripping off consumers. As long as it's done to spec with genuine parts, you can take it anywhere and the manufacturer has to honour your warranty.

Vin

dazmond

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 05:29:04 pm »
Well i was told by a Fiat main dealer nowadays as long as the garage uses the genuine parts and is VAT registered then the warranty is not void (that is with Fiat may be different with Ford) .

It's a law (brought in by the evil EU) to prevent main dealers ripping off consumers. As long as it's done to spec with genuine parts, you can take it anywhere and the manufacturer has to honour your warranty.

Vin

correct vin. :)

ive got my van back now.they charged me £80 for interim service and oil and filter change and got my service book stamped. ;)

there is no way it would be that cheap at a main dealer.i reckon itd be more like £180.
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 05:34:12 pm »
One year old is an interim service on your van. Basic check over.
Oil change is at 20k miles.
Check on Ford ETIS
http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

an interim service ALWAYS includes changing the oil and filter as well as basic checks mate....how long have you been driving? ;D

Stoots

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 05:50:28 pm »
changing the oil every 12 months is always good practice.

Manual says 20k so is daz supposed to not change his oil for 5 years?

andyM

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 06:06:06 pm »

No it's the stated mileage or time interval, which ever is sooner.
One of the Plebs

dazmond

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 06:07:51 pm »

its not gonna do any harm is it adam?and at £80 i think its well worth it...i want to really look after this van...

Marc Stock

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2018, 06:15:04 pm »
Our family car the Mazda has this electronic service record thingy. I have to go to main dealer if i want to keep the electronic record up to date.

Stoots

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2018, 06:19:38 pm »

No it's the stated mileage or time interval, which ever is sooner.

obviously

dazmond

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2018, 06:31:28 pm »
Our family car the Mazda has this electronic service record thingy. I have to go to main dealer if i want to keep the electronic record up to date.

yep i had the option to do this but i never take vehicles to main dealers(they always charge at least double what my local garage charges,sometimes the dealers charge triple the amount for services,cambelt changes,new brake pads etc,etc)no thanks...

JandS

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2018, 07:01:57 pm »
Got my new car Nov 2016....first service due 20,000 miles or 2 years.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

zesty

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2018, 08:21:45 pm »
Waste of time taking it in.

why matt?they wont charge me much and ill have fresh  oil swirling around my engine.i might as well look after it.....

Just did the same Daz.

Only done 6k miles since last Jan in my 3 year old Transit Custom, but I get the oil and filter changed every year regardless of mileage, it’s only 80 odd quid!

Despite Ford recommending up to 30k miles between oil changes in the customs, no way would i wait that long!

They need fresh oil, especially being chain driven and not belt. Also make sure they don’t put too much oil in if you have a DPF, the DPF’s don’t like oil in them! And over filling even slightly can be a problem further down the road.

jonboywalton75

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2018, 11:54:38 pm »
Surely with a new van you are going to the main dealer to maintain the warranty?

I went to the main Ford dealer local to me.
The worst service I've ever had.
They didn't have the manners to wear a mask when giving me the bill.
Main dealers overrated, go to someone you trust

Spruce

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2018, 07:35:23 am »
There also maybe a clause in his lease agreement that specifies how and where servicing is to be done. I appreciate that Daz's future plan is to take ownership at the end of the lease, but until then the van is owned by someone else who has the right to dictate how you maintain their property.

Vin is right about you not being forced to take your van to the main dealers for service to keep your warranty valid. One the other hand, the dealers may give one the impression that you wouldn't want to jeopardise your warranty by taking your van to someone who doesn't know what they are doing. 

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

andyM

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2018, 07:38:35 am »
I think you have to take your vehicle to the main dealer to keep the anti perforation warranty going though.
One of the Plebs

dd

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2018, 08:26:28 am »
Got my new car Nov 2016....first service due 20,000 miles or 2 years.
Despite what your manual says it is best to at least change the oil and filter at 10k, 20 000 miles is too long. Speak to any decent mechanic and they would tell you this.

dazmond

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2018, 08:42:44 am »
There also maybe a clause in his lease agreement that specifies how and where servicing is to be done. I appreciate that Daz's future plan is to take ownership at the end of the lease, but until then the van is owned by someone else who has the right to dictate how you maintain their property.

Vin is right about you not being forced to take your van to the main dealers for service to keep your warranty valid. One the other hand, the dealers may give one the impression that you wouldn't want to jeopardise your warranty by taking your van to someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

nope no clause in my agreement spruce.....its in my interest to look after the van so itll be serviced every year just like my car.all it says is that i should take "reasonable care of the vehicle" in the terms and conditions...

its amazing how many people think you have to take cars/vans to main dealers to maintain the warranty!like ive said before as long as its a reputable garage AND they use ford/motorcraft parts and you keep all receipts so you have the vans history its not a problem...

Perfect Windows

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2018, 10:30:39 am »
My local garage is a diamond of a place. I often end up in chats with the bloke who runs it.  He once made a point that stuck with me. There are two kinds of people, ones who have their vehicles serviced and ones who pay for big repairs.  I think you're bang on the nail, Dazmond - having it serviced every year will probably work out cheaper than not bothering.

Vin

Spruce

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2018, 04:52:24 pm »

Vin

correct vin. :)

ive got my van back now.they charged me £80 for interim service and oil and filter change and got my service book stamped. ;)

there is no way it would be that cheap at a main dealer.i reckon itd be more like £180.

Now, in a months time can you prove to Ford that genuine Ford parts were fitted at this service.

If you can't then you need to be buying the parts needed from Ford yourself, get and invoice, and then supply the parts to your mechanic. Keep the invoices along with your service record in the servcie book.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Perfect Windows

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2018, 04:59:22 pm »
Now, in a months time can you prove to Ford that genuine Ford parts were fitted at this service.

If you can't then you need to be buying the parts needed from Ford yourself, get and invoice, and then supply the parts to your mechanic. Keep the invoices along with your service record in the servcie book.

Good point!  http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/35704/watchdog-keeping-your-warranty-valid