S.W. Window Cleaning

How many houses could you clean for 25 litres?
« on: May 03, 2017, 10:54:55 pm »
As title,
Say a 3 bedroom semi . How many houses would 25 litres do using a back pack.
Thanks
Steve

Darren H

Re: How many houses could you clean for 25 litres?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 11:06:39 pm »
I might finish it but would have next to nothing left.

S.W. Window Cleaning

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 11:10:09 pm »
So really one house per 25 then.

Cheers

nathankaye

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 11:19:55 pm »
Im gonna course some confusion now. As a basic 3 bed semi with clean frames and so mostly cleaning the top part of the frame and windows, i can clean 2 n half houses on a full flow and my brush has four pencil jets and a gardiner valve gooseneck.

However if its a first clean, then yes most would be used up on one house
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Dry Clean

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 11:34:40 pm »
Im gonna course some confusion now. As a basic 3 bed semi with clean frames and so mostly cleaning the top part of the frame and windows, i can clean 2 n half houses on a full flow and my brush has four pencil jets and a gardiner valve gooseneck.

Nathan all I can say is Wow, that's roughly 10lts per 3 bed semi, at full flow say 3lts per minute it works out at just over 3 minutes per property on the glass.

NWH

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 12:13:39 am »
It's easy enough to work out turn it up to the flow you normally use and time it emptying into a bucket,we all work at different speeds this will tell you personally how many Windows you'll clean with 25 litres.

Don Simon

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 03:51:58 am »
U woukd hate to have to ration water !
Try and get a system where you have pkenty of water cos sometimes esoecially on hot days you can use twice as much !
Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.

Spruce

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 07:07:18 am »
U woukd hate to have to ration water !
Try and get a system where you have pkenty of water cos sometimes esoecially on hot days you can use twice as much !

I agree with you. Used son's backpack the other day for a couple of windows. He has his set on a very slow speed to save water. It takes him ages to rinse a window.
However,  his setup time compared to mine is much quicker so that compensates.

I struggle to carry that weight of water around, so hose is my only option.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Shrek

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 07:10:33 am »
1 house for me

Dave Willis

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 07:31:21 am »
One house for me ... trad.

jonboywalton75

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 07:35:11 am »
One house

Stoots

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 07:42:13 am »
Roughly 1 house.

If I have a big day I just about empty my 500l tank. And that might be 20 house so yes roughly 25l

dazmond

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 07:48:22 am »
ive had a new customer recently tell me their last window cleaner at their old house(who i know) used the pole system but windows were always a mess when they d dried.(he uses a trolley system and low flow to conserve water) ::)roll.shes very happy with the job i do though.

on topic one 3 bed semi around 20L will be used on a maintenance clean
price higher/work harder!

Dry Clean

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 08:24:10 am »
As above 20 to 25lts per property.

nathankaye

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 09:26:45 am »
Wow i am totally amazed how much water you people use per house.
In van i have 500 litres and in 2 years i have only emptied it twice and thats when ive taken over a round from trad to wfp, so constant new cleans.
I clean a huge farm house which is used as an accountance agency. Tho wife does horse riding shows etc so still have horse n stabled. But part of the stables is the break room for all the staff. There also have a ground floor block of offices so four large windows and two doors and also a granny house which they rent out, slightly bigger than a basic 3 bed semi. The farm house has a huge conservatory as well.
Its quicker for me to use the trolley than drag all the hose out dodging everyones cars and foot traffic etc etc. I clean all the glass on just 2 fills of the trolley but i dont drain the 2nd fill. So probably use about 40litres of water. Again this is water flowing on agitation and rinsing. The only water reserving is using tap valve turning on/off between each window thats all. But it is regualr 4wk maintenance cleans.

On say a normal council estate size house, 3 bed semi would you still use 20 // 25ltrs per house. Just using this as to relate to the size of house everyone has in mind when cleaning, because i cant believe how much everyone is saying they use.

When using van system i work with hot fast flowing water on a pure freedom digi controller set at 80 and 4 pencil jets. But i find a fast flow on maintenance cleans uses less water because your kinda rinsing whilst your cleaning.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

jonboywalton75

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 09:50:06 am »
Council semi size I'd probably use 15 ltr, full flow, no controller
Semi with bay windows, a lot more

nathankaye

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 10:02:41 am »

As an example ive just whipped trolley out to clean these two houses, not great example as these are 2 bed semis. Theres 2 more windows on each of the sides, so an extra 4 that u cant see. Plus the downstairs front window has side windows on that bay type window
Ive managed these 2 size houses on less than 25ltrs in my gardiner back pack but with 2 pencil jets on brush. Still on full flow though and gooseneck valve.

I probably have enough water to clean the fronts of one of these houses again
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

M & C Window Cleaning

Re: How many houses could you clean for 25 litres? New
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 01:57:42 pm »
This morning I was doing regular cleans on a mix of 3 and 4 bed semis and terraced houses with quite a lot of glass on most of them and averaged 2.3 houses per 25ltrs.
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

8weekly

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2017, 03:30:01 pm »

As an example ive just whipped trolley out to clean these two houses, not great example as these are 2 bed semis. Theres 2 more windows on each of the sides, so an extra 4 that u cant see. Plus the downstairs front window has side windows on that bay type window
Ive managed these 2 size houses on less than 25ltrs in my gardiner back pack but with 2 pencil jets on brush. Still on full flow though and gooseneck valve.

I probably have enough water to clean the fronts of one of these houses again
How much did you charge for those? Do you get many complaints?

paul alan

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 04:40:27 pm »

bloody hell mate, if you can do a first clean and only use 25ltrs I need come and spend a day with you as Im using waaayy more than that, do you clean frames?

nathankaye

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2017, 04:55:23 pm »

bloody hell mate, if you can do a first clean and only use 25ltrs I need come and spend a day with you as Im using waaayy more than that, do you clean frames?

Its not often i would use the trolley for a first clean as i have van system. However im transfering 60 odd degree hot water into gardiners back pack. You cant beat hot water on a first clean be it from back pack or van system.
Yes that includes frames on a first clean.

However those who do regular 4 weekly cleans will know how to keep on top of the frames, as in they dont always need addressing apart from the top bar, but again on a high flow this aids in cleaning and rinsing.

8weekly, not great prices as they are a tenner a pop. But they consider it alot as other shiners charge a fiver. 
Why ask about complaints, lol what you spotted.........no not had any complaints
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

duncan h

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2017, 05:53:12 pm »
I can do 3 terraced fronts and backs. Sometimes it last quite a few houses, then other times I don't quite do 1 lol

8weekly

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2017, 06:22:09 pm »

Its not often i would use the trolley for a first clean as i have van system. However im transfering 60 odd degree hot water into gardiners back pack. You cant beat hot water on a first clean be it from back pack or van system.
Yes that includes frames on a first clean.

However those who do regular 4 weekly cleans will know how to keep on top of the frames, as in they dont always need addressing apart from the top bar, but again on a high flow this aids in cleaning and rinsing.

8weekly, not great prices as they are a tenner a pop. But they consider it alot as other shiners charge a fiver. 
Why ask about complaints, lol what you spotted.........no not had any complaints
I asked about complaints because that seems a woefully inadequate amount of water on those. If it wasn't for the conservatory you might just get away with it. I often think if you are charging what is considered not a lot, people may not look too closely. That's why I asked. I would charge £23 for the one with the conservatory 8 weekly (what else) and £18 for the other. I think it would therefore create greater expectations than if I charged a tenner.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2017, 06:32:41 pm »
Modded; Please tone down the vitriol.
Comfortably Numb!

NWH

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2017, 06:54:43 pm »
I have never seen what the problem is with saying how much someone would charge,some say 10 someone might want 25 I can't see the issue I don't see it as willy  waving it's just an opinion.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2017, 06:56:45 pm »
I clean approx 3 modern semis with 25 litres, but my prices are a lot lower than most on here so I don't feel the need to over clean houses. Customers are happy and I'm happy that's what matters most. £1 per litre of water it works out at.....give or take.

Dry Clean

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2017, 07:08:05 pm »
I have never seen what the problem is with saying how much someone would charge,some say 10 someone might want 25 I can't see the issue I don't see it as willy  waving it's just an opinion.

I think 8 weekly's point is with the amount of time effort and water Nathan puts into a clean the quality isn't going to be the greatest, would say he's not the only one thinking that.
At £10 it may still be good value and not worth complaining about but at £25 the opposite could be said.

NWH

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2017, 07:14:20 pm »
The water comes out of my brush and  hits the ground at least 12-15 feet away that's what I call rinsing,back packs are for the odd window with no access. I can't imagine having to be constantly filling that thing up every day all day.

nathankaye

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2017, 07:51:44 pm »

I think 8 weekly's point is with the amount of time effort and water Nathan puts into a clean the quality isn't going to be the greatest, would say he's not the only one thinking that.
At £10 it may still be good value and not worth complaining about but at £25 the opposite could be said.

Im beginning to think some of you guys should pay me for the day to teach you how to clean windows  ;D ;D without the need of drowning the window or brick work to feel like youve  done a quality job.

Even if you trad cleaning and want to have a pop at my speed because i was pretty darn fast and efficient at blading as well (or whatever squeegee action you guys might call it)

As for pricing, i dont mind what some wish to suggest what they would charge because there is so many factors which come into play. Like i admitted a tenner isnt overly great but for these customers its alot as others charge a fiver. So on this stretch i am classed as expensive but good.
Now if i take the same house and transfer it onto another part of my round then yes it would be 15 and 20 every 4 wks not 8 as 8wkly does.
Im sure we all have parts of our rounds which are like this.

Lol i once had an old dear come out from a bungalow after every clean because she thought i did them that fast they cant possibly be clean. This is when i was trad cleaning. In over 5yrs of doing them she spotted one error and that actually was hers on the inside and i gave her a bit of banter over that.   Only 5 yrs as sadly she passed away before anynody comments on only 5yrs
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

jonboywalton75

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2017, 07:59:44 pm »
The water comes out of my brush and  hits the ground at least 12-15 feet away that's what I call rinsing,back packs are for the odd window with no access. I can't imagine having to be constantly filling that thing up every day all day.

I cleaned for a year with just a backpack, poling everything
Nightmare
My van and system saved my ageing body from destruction  ;D

Jays Window Cleaning

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2017, 08:46:41 pm »
£1 a litre thats how it works for me  25lts =£25.  If you want to clean a three bed semi with 25lts of water then thats alot,  a first clean then yes maybe then £25 -£30 charged. On  a standard 4 bed regular monthly clean i  use 15-20 ltrs . So £15 -£20 charged.

NWH

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2017, 09:54:00 pm »
Nathan if you use more water there's less chance of
You making mistakes,a backpack is not supposed to be used everyday alday long. saying that it depends on your work it may be essential for you if you do small houses,they are useless on bigger houses unlesss you do tops only but then again why would you want to do that.

dazmond

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2017, 10:13:23 pm »
i agree mate.if your skimping on water you will leave more spotting and make more mistakes.a window cleaner i know has had a few complaints as his ex customers tell me!(trolley user and low flow guy).

its better to use more water than skimp esp in the spring/summer months and rinse off the glass for most work.
price higher/work harder!

nathankaye

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2017, 10:20:48 pm »
Nathan if you use more water there's less chance of
You making mistakes,a backpack is not supposed to be used everyday alday long. saying that it depends on your work it may be essential for you if you do small houses,they are useless on bigger houses unlesss you do tops only but then again why would you want to do that.

A high flow of water and good technique  or the combination of both eliminates making mistakes.
Also if re read my posts on this thread, i have said time and again that i mostly use my van mount system, 500ltr hot water. Also for first cleans etc and my brush has four pencil jets etc etc. The purpose of using my trolley on those two houses was for the purpose of this thread in what i thought was a helpful post to show how much you can clean using a trolley 25ltr. As some made out that 25ltr would do one house which staggers believe. So to aid in understanding i took a photo of two houses which i cleaned using a trolley instead. As everyones ideas of a 3 bed or a 2 bed semi etc can be quite different.

Lol, hope this helps
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

SB Cleaning

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2017, 10:15:27 pm »
The only good use for a backpack is filling up with tap water and adding screwfix degreaser or virosol and using it to clean fascias/soffits and conny roofs...sod using them for cleaning windows!!

slap bash

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2017, 01:13:23 pm »
Rationing water must be the dumbest thing yet as we need water flow to slide dirt of the glass.When I first started I tried saving water to the detriment of my service. As I guaranteed clean glass I had many comebacks. Most would say kill the guarantee. A logical answer.
Instead, I increased water flow making sure of cleanly rinsed glass. I never rinse off the glass and wash above the frame with plenty of water. Ever since this desition have never had a comeback in 8 years.

slap bash

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2017, 01:22:27 pm »
If you want to use a backpack. Buy an aluminium troll and strap the backpack to it and a 5-litre bottle above the backpack to carry extra water so you can fill the backpack as you go.  It frustrating using a backpack but if its all you got it can work. The day you move over to van mount you will think you are in heaven.

JandS

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2017, 03:24:23 pm »
Surely a better question would be how much can you earn from 25 litres..
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Tosh

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2017, 03:45:38 pm »
Or not to have asked in the first place. It doesn’t prove anything.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'