Spruce

spiders
« on: July 27, 2016, 05:38:12 pm »
We clean a large school atrium. We've done this for the past 7 years when the school was build and clean this once a year.

The spider nests and spiders have been steadily getting worse each year. Last year they were unbelievable; this year they are even more.

Does anyone have experience with a chemical to spray them which won't kill us as well.

The atrium consists of large aluminum window frames and double glazed windows.

I hate asking this and try to respect animal life, but this is too much.

Thanks.

-
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Don Kee

Re: spiders
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 06:43:40 pm »
Hi Spruce

I'm not sure spraying a chemical around the windows is going to help you long term...

Unleas you're going to chase the spiders away from the surrounding area, I would have thought that even if you killed off the spiders in the atrium, others will take their place...
Seen as its cleaned once a year as well, is it not to be expected..?

If you've done it for a few years and its becoming a pig of a job, maybe a price rise to make the job worth it again?

Shrek

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 06:48:24 pm »
I think smurf has a spider feather duster , I'm sure he'll sure the link with you soon. Possibly with a YouTube video link also 😂😂

Spruce

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 07:35:48 pm »
Hi Spruce

I'm not sure spraying a chemical around the windows is going to help you long term...

Unleas you're going to chase the spiders away from the surrounding area, I would have thought that even if you killed off the spiders in the atrium, others will take their place...
Seen as its cleaned once a year as well, is it not to be expected..?

If you've done it for a few years and its becoming a pig of a job, maybe a price rise to make the job worth it again?

Thanks Don. I didn't want to hear that tbh.  ;D

I was hoping to reduce their numbers to more manageable amounts. It appears that our clean once a year is causing them the thrive.

Last year we were 'forced' to use a stiff brush to get rid of their nests before cleaning wfp which probably added an hour and a half to the job.
We've raised the price a little this year but I feel I need to be careful and not go overboard. Its hard work but we are happy with the costing.  We can also spread cleaning out over the holidays to suit us, but they like the entrance area to be done last so its clean for the new year.

Thanks for your reply.
-

Spruce

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 07:37:39 pm »
I think smurf has a spider feather duster , I'm sure he'll sure the link with you soon. Possibly with a YouTube video link also 😂😂

I think I remember Smurf once saying that washing with hot water was his answer.  ;D

Smurf

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 07:55:28 pm »
I think smurf has a spider feather duster , I'm sure he'll sure the link with you soon. Possibly with a YouTube video link also

Yep, I like to tickle them into submission  ;D ;D

Smurf

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 08:01:01 pm »
I think smurf has a spider feather duster , I'm sure he'll sure the link with you soon. Possibly with a YouTube video link also

I think I remember Smurf once saying that washing with hot water was his answer.  ;D

Boiling water/steam works better as they can survive submersed in water   ::)roll

rosskesava

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 12:20:34 am »
We clean a large school atrium. We've done this for the past 7 years when the school was build and clean this once a year.

The spider nests and spiders have been steadily getting worse each year. Last year they were unbelievable; this year they are even more.

Does anyone have experience with a chemical to spray them which won't kill us as well.

The atrium consists of large aluminum window frames and double glazed windows.

I hate asking this and try to respect animal life, but this is too much.

Thanks.

-

I thought Robert the Spruce got all his inspiration from a spider?
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

Smurf

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 10:05:13 am »
Regards removing spider webs, egg sacks etc the worst job that sticks in my mind was a lakeside property exterior clean.

All the properties on that gated lakeside community are infested with spiders so are apparently treated once a year. The  contractors just goes around spraying a pesticide on the outside of the properties but they don't remove any of the mess so muggins here had clear years of build up even live spiders too.

What a pita of a job that was spruce so am not that keen doing another one like that in a hurry I can tell you.

PHILIP HARDY

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 08:57:25 pm »
Pretty tough to get rid of spiders, one of natures great survivors, think you will waste more effort and possibly money trying to find a chemical cure as I have yet to hear of a decent one.  :-[ Sorry
The Stupid Neither Forgive Nor Forget
The Naive Forgive And Forget
The Wise Forgive But Don't Forget

slap bash

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 09:13:59 pm »
Ant chalk might be the thing to use, or take a look at any garden shop for a spay.

Tom White

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 09:22:08 pm »
Spiders don't like chestnuts apparently.  Maybe you could super-glue a bunch of them all over the atrium; say one every few feet?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3250580/Can-conker-terrifying-giant-spiders-humble-horse-chestnut-sofa.html

HTH

Dave Willis

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 09:43:31 pm »
My Mrs plays ant music sometimes. Seems to clear the front room.

G Griffin

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2016, 10:19:35 pm »
So unplug the jukebox..........

I tried conkers but I found I damaged the window when I tried to whack a spider. Especially when I'd soaked my conkers in vinegar (oo err).
I've always wondered where William the Conkerer got his shoe laces from.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Spruce

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 01:26:34 pm »
Thanks guys.
The school had a class of musical instrument beginners in the atrium this week. It did our heads in but it didn't bother the spiders.  ;D

Smurf

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 10:30:53 pm »
Thanks guys.
The school had a class of musical instrument beginners in the atrium this week. It did our heads in but it didn't bother the spiders.  ;D

;D ;D

AuRavelling79

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2016, 10:24:53 am »
So unplug the jukebox..........

I tried conkers but I found I damaged the window when I tried to whack a spider. Especially when I'd soaked my conkers in vinegar (oo err).

His mates that moved in to Hastings - The Normans.
It's a game of three halves!

Smurf

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2016, 04:03:37 pm »
I went to clean a wfp brush today and nearly pooped myself as was the biggest and nastiest looking spider on the bristles that I have seen for a long time.  ;D

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2016, 05:12:26 pm »

Actually that's a mis-nomer.  King William's day job was helping people with chronic foot problems which made walking very difficult.  His real title was William the Corn- curer ::)roll ;D ;D

Smurf

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2016, 05:21:11 pm »
Can we get back on topic please as the op doesn’t want to listen to all this drivel surely  ;D

Mind most of us are old so we do tend to wander off topic  just a wee bit now and then.