Sarah Sarill

Is it a leap too far ?
« on: May 09, 2006, 04:55:27 pm »
As most of you know we have been w/c for almost 9 years.  WFP for every job - no exceptions.

We have been asked to quote for a building that is approx 7 floors high with an additional atrium level of glass on top.  I estimate it to be about 80ft -90ft high.

The client has said the last w/c hired a cherry picker to do the top half.  As we have never used any sort of platform equipment before, my broad question is:-

Should we decline the opportunity to quote due to our inexperience or can it be easily achieved.

I have a list of really silly questions like: Do we need special insurances, do the cherry pickers come with operators,  etc etc etc................

Big money involved and a great opportunity for a half yearly contract, so any advice would be appreciated and most welcome.

Sarah
Sarah

Mike_G

Re: Is it a leap too far ?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 05:17:53 pm »
You can hire a cherry picker and driver for the day. We used one years ago, it was a lorry based hoist (from bristol, cant remember the firm sorry) I dont think you will need certificate to use it as the driver will have one and that should surfice. You will need to check with local council and possibly police etc if you need to park on road when working (they might insist that work is carried out on a sunday). Hope this helps. 

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 05:21:15 pm »
Thanks Mike,

What sort of cost are we talking and how high did they get up to ?

Sarah
Sarah

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 10:08:49 pm »

jinky230

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 10:25:10 pm »
sarah you should get a cherry picker and driver for about £300 a day
the operator carrys the license and insurance for the cherry picker
you will need a full body harness for h an s. might be supplied by operator

if it is on a bus route then permission from police and local authority will be required. remember to do all your h and s like signs cones etc , priority is the public at all times. at 90 ft winds need to be taken into concideration but apart from this happy flying

jinky

Mike_G

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 10:28:37 pm »
Can't remember the price ( i just did the work, my boss of the time paid for it ) It went up about 5 floors so I guess that would be in the region of between 60 to 70 feet, but if whoever did it before used a cherry picker at least you know you can get one to get to the windows. Sorry I cant be of more help, I did my training with EPL in bristol and they had loads of the truck mounted hoists but I can't find them on the web, and it was about 12 years ago.

macc

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 10:38:17 pm »
Sarah, dont turn it down, sounds like a good earner, hire it with an opperater, he has insurances & will opperate it  getting you in the right positions every time & speedy. Go for it, your proberbly doing work now a year ago you would have thought twice about doing. macc

Morph

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 10:41:09 pm »
Sarah,

My advice:
You and Willy seem to be earning well.  If you have surplus income and fancy an advance forward in a market you now know well....then invest.
It's a big step, steep learning curve that will open up a bigger market if you want it.
If you don't want to enter that market, don't bother, it's a lot of planning and outlay just for one "big fish".

matt

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 11:26:22 pm »
80ft -90ft high. having worked this high as a carpenter on cheery pickers (and as a brick cleaner in sydney)

its a fair height and when the operator moves, its scares you to death

personally i wouldnt touch it, you would get me at silly heights again

KJG

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 02:34:38 am »
You should be able to get a 30-ish metre cherry picker and an operator for about £350 for 8 hours. If you're going to use them regularly they're usually up for a haggle.

The two we use are EPL and Nationwide:

http://www.eplaccess.co.uk/Index.htm
http://www.nationwideaccess.com/home.asp

I've always found EPL to have the best operators regarding speed and positioning. They have faster moving booms too.

As for your other questions just ask which ever firm you call. Oh, and watch out for the skiver operator's trick. "I've come all the way from blah blah so you've only got 4 hours mate". Tell him boll*cks.

If you do go with EPL and get a moaning Brummie called Jim, say hello from me - Kurt. He's the best operator I've ever worked with so be prepared for an early day and don't wear light coloured underwear :o

Trevor Knight

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 07:38:58 am »
We use Nationwide all the time and negotiated a 30% discount of list. As for what you need, basically as soon as you hire the machinery N/wide take care of everything, speak to your rep and he will no if you do or don't need to inform the police. Harness and stuff will be provided by driver/operator. As Kurt says, your paying for a days work so don't take any s**t from the driver as they will try it on. Otherwise, go get it and good luck !!
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 09:07:09 am »
http://www.major-hazards.gov.uk/pubns/misc611.pdf
With thanks to poleman
Dave

Thanks Dave and Andy.  Great link, full of stuff I had not even thought about.

Sarah
Sarah

RO-Sheen

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 09:21:32 am »
Hi Sarah

I was a H+S course last month but they recommended that you take a camera with you too! The reason is is that there are a lot of people that would use the machinery or hoses to 'trip' over so they can make a claim.
The Guy on the course recommends that if this happens photograph the person with the warning signs also in the photo.

It sounds like it is a bit of an overkill but it will prevent you from being sued.
Formerly known as GARGAAX

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 12:58:34 pm »
Will remember that tip  :o

Am going to site on Friday to look at one particular area we think we cant get a CP into so hey, may also need scaffolding (the client did warn us though) !!!

Think its getting to big for us little fish but if we get it at the price we submit we'll be more than happy.

Watch this space  ;)

Sarah
Sarah

telboy

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 02:23:15 pm »
Go for it Sarah

Onwards and upwards

If  you dont you will always think "if only" ???

Telboy  ;)

Angel C/S

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 04:07:20 pm »
On-going Saga,

Can 80ft + be done with a pole ?

Access to their 'atrium' courtyard is impossible with a CPand will be a nightmare for scaffolding.

Anyone dont this type of height with a pole ?

Sarah

PS:  Your right Terry, lots of 'what if's ' in life so going to go for it  ;D  Will also look good on company CV as its a really prestigious Client and well known set of buildings with potential for lots of other well paid work.  ;D
Sarah

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 05:20:47 pm »
yes it can with practice and some one on the roof to guide the pole.

I think Tucker are the only people to make a 80'+ pole

jeff1

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2006, 05:36:12 pm »
Go for it
Don't worry about the height, once in the cp it may wobble a bit, but believe me you get used to it, I've been upto 100ft in a cp installing CCTV cameras, but my cp and operator was supplied by the council, make some inquiries with them they may be able to help.

Good Luck and go for it, opportunity's like this usually only come's once.

mark dew

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2006, 02:04:22 am »
Go for it sarah.
With that kind of experience behind you it should open many doors in the future. I'm very interested to know how you get on with this.

good luck

mark