P @ F

What should i do ? , I GOT PAID !
« on: February 10, 2006, 05:20:32 pm »
Hi guys , i cleaned  a customers gutters yesterday for £30 and the windows for £7 , the gutter quote was for 2 sides , inside and out , when i checked the insides of the gutters they where spotless so didnt need doing , i went back today and she refused to pay anything !
She said that because i didnt do the insides thats why she wasnt paying , how can i clean out what isnt there ?

What should i do ?

Rich  P @ F
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

alpha

Re: What should i do ?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 05:48:39 pm »
Honesty is the best policy because people talk. So tell her you didn't find anything and charge her for what you did do. I have had the same thing happen to me. And got three houses to clean the gutters soffits and eaves Because I didn' t try to do her she blabbed to her neighbors.

H h20

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 05:49:35 pm »
Knock off what you would have charged for doing inside the gutter,she should then pay you for what you did,Gaz  ;)

mark6765

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 05:50:08 pm »
i would ask for half of the £30
and the £7 for doing the windows.
if she refused i would politely tell her she would lose me as her window cleaner.

williamx

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 05:54:58 pm »
I would charge her £7.00 for the windows and £20 for the cleaning of the outside of the gutters and the inspection of the inside.

If she refuses to pay, then tell her the debt will be passed onto a debt collection agency, and any further charges will be added to her account, including county court costs it it has to go that far.  She will then pay up but you will lose her custom.

stevef

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 06:04:13 pm »
So how did she know the gutters were not cleaned ? did she climb up and have a look!
To answer your question dump the £7 customer, that wont hurt will it, what will she try on in the future?

P @ F

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 06:14:04 pm »
She is binned anyway , i tried the court threat but she did not batt an eyelid , she said her hubbie went up and pulled loads of muck out of the gutter , he must have done the gutter next door , trust me there was nothing at all in his .

The money bit has done my head in but i want revenge , what can i do apart from clean her windows with grease as im going to do on monday ?

All ideas greatfully accepted !

Rich   P @ F

busydaffodil

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 06:27:29 pm »
Do nothing that could get you into trouble. Is losing £37 worth being arrested & locked up for?  Surely not!  Your reputation will also be lost.   

I would write to them, explaining you were not given the chance to explain that upon inspection, there was nothing to clean.  For that inspection only, the average charge is £15.  You were only going to charge her that, along with the £7 owing.      You attended her property upon request, spent?? minutes doing the inspection & would therefore request payment for time spent inspecting.

alpha

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 06:43:00 pm »
If you want to take it further Citizens advice Burea helped us out a couple of time. With taking someone to the small claims court. It doesn't mean though that you will always get your money. But it does show them that you won't be messed around.  And the process is "fairly" straightforward. But whatever you do don't  do anything daft it will come back on YOU.

Morph

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 07:15:40 pm »
Just ask her what she thinks she owes you.  Take whatever she gives. (even if it's just abuse, which it won't be).

Then tell her you won't be back!  The sweetest revenge.  Say you provide a fair service for fair people.  Have a nice day :D

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 07:36:16 pm »
Hi guys , i cleaned  a customers gutters yesterday for £30 and the windows for £7 , the gutter quote was for 2 sides , inside and out ,

Rich;

Never mind the 'not being paid bit'.  You can't do anything about it so put it behind you.

That's good advice; but if it had been done to me; I'd still be raging about it two-years-later.  In fact I've still got one ex-customer from the Summer who deserves a couple of handfulls of carpet tacks strewn about their driveway.

Anyway,

When you're asked to clean a gutter, I always go up and check they require cleaning first.  Sometimes they're clean(ish) and the customer mistakingly thinks they need cleaning because they haven't been done in years.

On occassion, they'll give you a funny look as if you're trying to 'slope shoulders' and get out of a dirty job.

Then when it comes to pricing, I think £30 is too cheap for an inside 'gutter scrape' and an outside gutter clean; including soffits.

£50 is a better price - £25 per side - if it's a terraced house at least.  More if there's more.

If it's purely just an inside gutter scrape - charge them £15 per side.  If they need doing, they need doing otherwise the weight of all that muck will damage their gutters.

I believe people are willing to pay more if it saves them money on repair costs.

Use a ladder stand-off and get a bucket with some string and a big hook to put all the muck into.  Don't forget to use a Rojak ladder stopper too.

I advertise this service to all of my customers and had a deluge of this sort of job in the summer.

My ex-neihbor, a proper 'cash-in-hand dodgy-guy' worked for a 'professional' gutter cleaner and told me how much he charged for a large detached house.  It was £180 and it took two of them two-hours.

Okay, with regular window-cleaning customers, we can charge less and if any of them baulk at your price, you could advise them to get another quote from a 'professional' gutter cleaning service who'll probably charge treble.

brett walker

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 08:57:06 pm »
Was cleaning a customers windows yesterday 10 quid, she came out to ask me if i could do her gutters 2 sides
i said " yes it'll be 25 pound extra for the gutters " she said thats fine.

I checked down pipes the gutters were empty just 2 handfulls of muck, she paid me no problem-  10 mins work
having said that the gutters could have been completely full and could have taken a hour.  Ive had this happen to me before so i give them a price and thats it

Gutter cleaning's the worst thing about our line of work

Brett

P @ F

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 09:03:41 pm »
I hear what your saying tosh , but it really makes my blood boil , i explained that the £30 price included everything being cleaned if it required it , i did not go up to see if they were gunked up or not , i see it as win some lose some .
But as i didnt need to do the insides she deemed it as being half the job .

So i havnt conned her , she has moved the posts .

Rich   P @ F

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2006, 09:14:07 pm »
Rich

What were you doing cleaning gutters inside and out for £30.

If it was me i would have charged at least £60 and that would be for 2 sides max

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 09:25:09 pm »
I hear what your saying tosh , but it really makes my blood boil , i explained that the £30 price included everything being cleaned if it required it , i did not go up to see if they were gunked up or not , i see it as win some lose some .
But as i didnt need to do the insides she deemed it as being half the job .

So i havnt conned her , she has moved the posts .

Rich   P @ F

Rich,

Put like that, yes, I agree with you.

But I'm like you, and can get extremely wound-up over a customer who you feel has 'ripped you off'.

It's not nice going to bed with a head-full of vengefull thoughts.

Get it out of your system, Rich.  

Have they a drive-way?  Have you had a carpet laid recently?  Were there any left over carpet tacks?  At least a couple of handfulls.

Anyway, I'm getting off the subject here (we've just had a new carpet laid; honest).

And David has the right idea on pricing.

P @ F

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2006, 09:48:29 pm »
Dont start Dave , just got it in the ear from the missus that im too cheap , she is more up for a confrontation with them than i am !
We are meant to be saving balls out for a mortgage at the mo and probs like this are not needed , i think im gonna go back in the morning to see the hubbie and if i dont get the payment then i will give him somthing to spend a lot more than £37 on , i know its not the done thing but i am so sick and tired of being walked on by idiots .
I have been so customer friendly up to date that you would not believe , and all its done its kicked me in the teeth , from now on its price rises and no favour whatsoever for anybody !
That big house i posted the other day , asking the price for , i asked for £25 not the £22 that the last wc charged i got nothing but hassle , and then it started  , there are runs and spots on some of the glass , i said from the word go about the old wooden sash jobs and being first clean and all that , 6 of the windows it became apparent had not been touched by the last wc , and all i asked was £3 extra , and i did both sides of that big glass porch too !

I think it was Tosh who mentioned a rich tax a while ago , well its coming for me too , sod em !

Rich P @ F      

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2006, 10:08:25 pm »
Rich,

I've never mentioned a 'Rich Tax'.  That was Matt (of matt's DIY WFP site).

Also, don't go round to the 'numpty' customers.  If I say it's 'only £37' that sounds patronising, because £37 is a lot of money.

Rich, just leave 'em alone.  It's not worth it.  I was joking when I posted about 'carpet tacks' and stuff.

Google for 'Karma', and get some of it!

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2006, 10:09:58 pm »
thats the spirit charge what you are worth.

I have got the luxury of having a huge customer base to give me an excellent wage everyweek so  all my new jobs have to pay me good money to become one of my customers.

I have been there charging peanuts to get the work but it took me a few years to learn my lesson.

macc

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2006, 10:55:05 pm »
like david said, "charge what your worth".

i was too cheep, had to work my bits off to make a good wage.

ive uped my prices, gone over to wfp. i work less hours now & earn more.

ok, i lost a few but replaced them, the majority will stay because they no you and a trust is built up over time.

believe in yourself & the customers will belive in you. ;D

P @ F

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2006, 12:31:53 am »
NOPE , IT DIDNT WORK , IM STILL AS MAD AS A FISH !
GOING ROUND IN THE MORNING , SEE WHAT I CAN SORT WITH THEM , IF I DONT GET ANY JOY IT MEANS CRAZY BOY IS COMMIN OUT TO PLAY !

WATCH THIS SPACE , DO THEY LET YOU HAVE LAPTOPS IN PRISON NOWADAYS.

Crazy Rich  P @ F Cell block 4 , H.M.P. Channings Wood !   ;D   

H h20

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2006, 09:35:54 pm »
GOING ROUND IN THE MORNING , SEE WHAT I CAN SORT WITH THEM , IF I DONT GET ANY JOY IT MEANS CRAZY BOY IS COMMIN OUT TO PLAY !

Well Rich,been watching this space and you aint been online so that could  mean a couple of things  ::),hows prison food  :D,or hospital food  :o,come on Rich are you in the land of the living?,Gaz  ;)

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2006, 09:39:55 pm »

Rich,

Get a gun.

A Browning 9mm is a fairly decent weapon.  It holds 12 rounds and can fire them as quickly as you can pull the trigger.

Aim low though, it has a tendancy to jump.

H h20

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2006, 07:29:10 pm »
No sign of Rich,i think an extra meal may of been served in H.M.P.  :o,Gaz

P @ F

Re: What should i do ? , I GOT PAID !
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2006, 11:09:41 pm »
 Its OK guys , all sorted out now and im not in prison or hospital !
 Went to see the hubbie and he didnt want to pay , didnt want to get nasty with him , he was bigger than me !
 All i did was ask him how much his axcess was on his BMW insurance , he then had a change of heart and coughed up the £37 .

What  a RESULT eh !

Rich   P @ F  ;D ;D ;D

Paul Coleman

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2006, 07:54:07 am »
Its OK guys , all sorted out now and im not in prison or hospital !
 Went to see the hubbie and he didnt want to pay , didnt want to get nasty with him , he was bigger than me !
 All i did was ask him how much his axcess was on his BMW insurance , he then had a change of heart and coughed up the £37 .

What  a RESULT eh !

Rich   P @ F  ;D ;D ;D

Ok so you got the money but I think the prce was too high (and I don't mean the price you were charging).
I'm owed £70 by an ex customer at the moment.  I still have his letter where he gives me the cheque number that he paid with.  I photocopy all cheques before banking and I've never received it so have some sort of evidence that it wasn't paid.  It is quite possible that Royal Mail have lost/misdelivered it as they have done this before. He has still not responded to my letter of early December so it's time to post another reminder asking to be paid within 28 days.  The one after that will be the threat of small claims court.  I've never done this before but I will make an exception if this guy doesn't cough up.

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2006, 05:51:47 pm »

Ok so you got the money but I think the prce was too high (and I don't mean the price you were charging).

Shiner,

Why?  If the 'softly softly' approach doesn't work, what's wrong with threatening them with a 'metaphorical' big stick?

I'm not advocating violence, as that would be wrong; unless it was in self-defence; usually.  But what's wrong with pointing out that the customer WILL ACTUALLY PAY, one way or the other?

From a philisophical point of view, why do you think this is morally wrong?

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2006, 05:57:18 pm »

Why?  If the 'softly softly' approach doesn't work, what's wrong with threatening them with a 'metaphorical' big stick?

I'm not advocating violence, as that would be wrong; unless it was in self-defence; usually.  But what's wrong with pointing out that the customer WILL ACTUALLY PAY, one way or the other?

You'd never guess you used to be in the army Tosh.... ::)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2006, 06:08:59 pm »

Shiner,

It could develop into the start of a very slippery slope IMO Tosh.  I am prepared to use the small claims court on this one though.  Making threats or dropping hints that I would be prepared to do dodgy stuff is not the way I want to go about things Tosh.  It doesn't feel right for me.

Ok, OK.  I'll be a bit more honest about this.  I did some pretty bad things as a young man (don't press for details as there's no way I'm going to put such stuff on a public forum). and I got to a point - around 30 years of age - when I stepped back, took a long hard look, and was horrified at what I'd become.  So I made some big changes.  So, in answer to your question, I know what I was once capable of and I've no wish to engage in anything that could start me back on the slippery slope.  I just want peace in my life these days.  It's a much better way.

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2006, 06:31:28 pm »
You'd never guess you used to be in the army Tosh.... ::)

Roger,

It's got nothing to do with that, just with what's right and what goes around comes around.

Wor Lass often orders stuff out of 'Betterware' and invariably it naff.

But she always coughs up; no argument. 

Gutter cleaning isn't the most glamorous of jobs.  We don't do it for fun. 

I don't think threatening customers with vandalism is professional behaviour, but I can understand why it's done.

I've felt ripped off (and have been ripped off) on a few occassions, and although I've made a big song and dance about it, I haven't yet took revenge.

Not yet.

neil100

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2006, 07:36:53 pm »
Shiner,

If you give the customer the benift of the doubt. Fine the £70 cheque as been lost by the Royal Mail. You know you have not recevied it.

Ask the customer to show you his bank statement when it arrives, to see what as happened to the cheque.

He will realize the missunderstanding, and it will be egg on his face not yours.

Regards Nel.

P @ F

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2006, 10:51:02 pm »
I would not have done his BMW , but i just saw how well kept it was and thats when i saw my in , so to speak .
 Believe me i have no rush to get back to the way i used to be , i have done my bit behind bars and im not going back for any ammount of cash !

It worked , but never mess with a mans wheels !

Rich  P @ F  ;D

macc

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2006, 11:02:01 pm »
shiner, its great you changed your ways, you will just have to pay some one to show him the error of his ways.  ;D