steve k

What on earth..!!!
« on: February 04, 2006, 04:21:03 am »
how bad is this... :-X :o

M Walker

Re: What on earth..!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 07:36:18 am »
obviously idiots probably would not do them any harm if they fell on to their heads. You would think someone might report them working in an area like that. Nutters must be

stuart howes

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 07:53:42 am »
oooooooooooooooo god iam not that brave or dumb and what for £8 i bet :o  did you take this pic steve    o yes and whens the next lot of pics coming from your round  going to be on ::)

steve k

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 08:18:29 am »
the thing is...1 man  could easily do those windows off the ladder with the correct pitch and have the other 1 foot the ladder ???
How do they get back on their climb down ladders?? frightening :o

a quick search on the shop name below gives this location as:

3 St Peters Buildings
Gilmore Place
Edinburgh

dish

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 08:55:34 am »
That is the most incredible thing I've seen.  If I hadn't seen the pic I would never of believed it.

Nothing on earth would get me up there like that.

H h20

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 09:23:39 am »
 :o UNBELIEVABLE  :o,and those ladders are the cheap DIY ones,and no safety signs on the pavement either,Gaz(shocked)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 09:31:33 am »
how bad is this... :-X :o

You've got to be having a laugh.  Please tell me that you've been playing around with an image manipulation program and that it's not really happening.

sunshine windows

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006, 09:43:55 am »
    You've got to be having a laugh.  Please tell me that you've been playing around with an image manipulation program and that it's not really happening.   

my thoughts exactly. surely that can't be a real image. i think they must have been cross bred with a chimp.
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 09:47:27 am »
And I dont blame the passers by for not walking under those ladders either !!!

Sarah
Sarah

brett walker

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006, 02:43:44 pm »
I just cant believe it  >:(

Leaving his bucket there, when he falls he'll knock his water over.... idiots :o

I bet if you ask them what wfp means they would reply
We Fall Propery  :P

Its people like this that gives the industry a bad name

Brett

Spoonbill1970

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2006, 03:33:50 pm »
And what's that girl in the white top doing going out without a jacket?  Brrr. :o

When I was young and stupid...we used to clean these sort of windows by going out onto the ledge from the inside and walking round the bay. 2nd 3rd or even 4th floor. Makes me wonder how we never ever fell off.

I know there is a great debate about wfp v trad, but surely the HSE regs, however they are interpreted, are designed to end this sort of lunacy.

I wonder if they are self-employed or working for someone for the minimum wage as I once was?

Spoonbill

dai

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2006, 05:12:29 pm »
The crazy thing is, It would be so much easier to do the job safely if they positioned the ladders right to start with. The ladders should be longer with the top positioned half way up the window. What are they holding onto? I can't see any where for a decent handhold. And how are they going to reach the bottom panes? Scary, very scary. Dai

stuart howes

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2006, 05:31:18 pm »
 :o who took the pics?   the hse? :o

macc

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2006, 05:36:53 pm »
they must have b- - - - the size of footballs.  ;D

Ben Walker

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2006, 05:38:26 pm »
Yes i immidiately recognised that as a tenement, thought it was probably Glasgow, but yes Edinburgh
Quite a good example of tenement window cleaning!! Not usually two up there at once, it really does make you feel one of them should fall!
At on time this is how all of them where done i'm sure, though often accessed from the inside. you still see it fairly often.
I window clean in glasgow, and though not often i do stand on the ledge, holding onto the inside of the window frame. (not like the picture though, i access from inside) I must say, standing on a broad sill, holding firmly onto the frame, with weight centred, it feels suprisingly safe. Feels more secure than top of a ladder.
Though i have to stress, not like in the picture, they haven't got much to hold on to and the transition back to ladder is surely dodgy tstl.

The daft thing here is those windows look like they might be the renovated ones, the ones that swing round to let you clean from the inside!!   :o 

Dai, yes the bottom panes are the tricky ones i'm sure. The reason it is done like this as you can imagine is it is much quicker than up and down a ladder for each window. Esp when you get the multiple bays, 3,4,5,6 windows. very tempting when the ledge is broad. (i wouldn't say the one in the photo is particulary broad though!)

Interested to know where the picture came from, taken intentionally no doubt.

ben

Mike_G

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2006, 06:33:42 pm »
If it is in Scotland, what is the point of having to obtain a license to clean windows, I would have thought the whole idea is to stop this kind of thing happening.(Maybe the license thing does not work) If one of them was to fall and land on a passer by well it would probably cost them thousands if not a stretch at her majestys pleasure. Looking at the picture I wonder If they have climbed out on the ledge from inside and closed the windows down to do the bottom piece.

I expect we have all bent the rules from time to time (if not now maybe in the past) but to do it in the middle of town at a busy time is just asking for trouble. And one final point I assume the office/shop is occupied why on earth are they letting these guys (CALL THEM WORSE IF YOU LIKE ) clean there premises like that, because they would probably be as much to blame if an accident happened as the window cleaners!     

dave0123

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2006, 08:01:28 pm »
very silly,  i carnt belive that were the first left ladder is they have actully cleaned that window how it is positioned without being footed its to far out and they wont have anot articulated feet on 2 help either >:( the left ladder needs to be brought in and up more 2 lean onto the wall next to the window 2 be cleaned i would say anyway there is to much top for the ladder to b held there on to little plastic feet which are rubbish ??? ::)
Dave.

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2006, 08:29:15 pm »
Some of you have expressed suprise at the picture of myself and my mate cleaning windows.

I have to say in our defence, it was quite safe, (untill the atractive lady walked passed, I nearly lost my balance)
You see, we put chewing gum on our shoes, so it helps us stick to the ledge.
(A Hollywood insider gave us that tip from the "Spiderman" movie)

Sorry I will explain more later, going to see my mate in hospital, No he hasn't fallen, it's a routine lobotamy, company health care!!

Our company moto

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever."

pjulk

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2006, 08:37:44 pm »
How can the chap on the left honestly think he is going to do a good job when he's eyeing up the girl in the white top.

Paul

pjulk

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2006, 08:39:12 pm »
Now looking at it again he might even be eyeing the bloke in the black top up.

You can never tell these days

Paul