AuRavelling79

Water Usage Ban
« on: February 03, 2006, 09:45:41 pm »
So come summer when all the hosepipe bans and the furore about saving water and headlines from the Sun/Mail whip up the great unwashed (literally) into an anti-wfp frenzy - how are you going to continue working?

Best answer wins an ice cube!
It's a game of three halves!

matt

Re: Water Usage Ban
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 09:50:13 pm »
the idea is

make hay whilst the rain doesnt fall NOW

enjoy the summer if you cannot work ;)

thats my plan

will have my VW all restored and hit the road

rosskesava

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 10:08:30 pm »
How about using a mop and squeegie and do what you can?

Just an idea.  ;D

wightsurf

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 10:16:16 pm »
When i was in the madives there was no fresh water on the islands but they took the salt out of the water so you can have showers and to flush the loo ::)
Why can't the uk do this we have water all around us

Filllllll

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 10:30:20 pm »
Serious question me thinks.Back to the ladders?And just how good are WFP users relationships with the water authorities?Come a hosepipe ban, then what?Anyone from Kent?

dai

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 10:37:20 pm »
Tell them your using deionised sea water. Anyone taken the TDS of sea water?

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 10:37:38 pm »
If there was a 'hose-pipe ban' then I'd be okay.

My RO/DI water doesn't go through a hose-pipe.  It goes from my outside tap through this thin-red pipe (definately not a hose-pipe) and from my blue pipe I get my working-water from!

I've no worries.

matt

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 10:40:24 pm »
you can get "water treatment systems" that will treat sea water, the only downside is they are expsnsive to run (thus less profit for the water compaines)

stephen d

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 08:18:51 pm »
we are a business and as such are entitled to use water even if there is a ban as it is your livlehood .you dont see chemical companies  or breweries stop producing when there is a ban both of whom use very large quantaties in production.chill.

pjulk

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006, 08:27:48 pm »
Come a hosepipe ban, then what?Anyone from Kent?

We have a hosepipe ban at the moment in kent it was not lifted from last year.
But with a hosepipe ban we can still use WFP.

Its the drought order which would stop us using a WFP and here in kent they are on about getting a drought order within the next few weeks.

If they do im ready with my ladder and 1 bucket of water a day

Paul

macc

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2006, 08:28:20 pm »
totaly agree.

macc

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2006, 08:30:20 pm »
not with the ladders, its how we make a living, they cant ban that

mattstanley

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2006, 08:34:20 pm »
They can if your only source of water is a stand pipe in the road!

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2006, 08:38:57 pm »
"Crossing bridges before you come to them " comes to mind.
If theres a ban then its usually only the millions of people who water gardens and wash cars that are affected. Then they enforce not using water at night and have night inspectors going round listening to the waterpipes to see that its complied with. Then its switching the water off and just allowing a couple of hours a day useage, then its get the water bowsers out. So its a question of enforced degree. It doesnt happen suddnely.

Its not been a prob to me in the past years.
However I dont want to call down the wrath of the gods.
Its not a national prob. Wales and Scotland have 98% reserves whilst Kent has 30-40% so its not going to be the same for everybody.
 You may have to adapt but I do not believe that you will have to cease trading.
Wonder what the car wash guys will do ? maybe we could sell them some of our waste RO water  ::)

mattstanley

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2006, 08:43:45 pm »
I think Jeff, it is us in the South East that are going to be affected - from what I hear, most other areas are okay.  Genuinely, the water crisis in our area is daily news and they are talking about stand pipes - I'm not worried about work, I'm worried about where I'm going to get a shower after work  :)

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2006, 09:00:33 pm »
Maybe if risk assesments were to be carried out then wfp operators could claim priority. Sounds serious. Only suggestions I have is learn to use less water. As most know I can get by on 1/3rd to 1/2 litre per min.  Just wfp the tops only.  Or  would it be  contoversial to actually leave the upstairs as its too dangerous for the moment ! Wonder what the bigger firms will do from a H&S angle.
It could certainly develop  as the public will actually see the water being "wasted".
Maybe nows the time get someone to ask about an industry licence .

mattstanley

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2006, 09:03:39 pm »
I think the main problem, apart from people feeling water is being wasted, is that you won't be abe to produce pure water from a stand pipe in the road.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2006, 10:21:03 pm »
Maybe bullstopsphere who recently had us all going, could give some advice cause he had a permit to allow standpipe use for wfp ?

supernova77

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2006, 12:24:59 am »
What happened to the guy who was on here a few weeks ago that was on about a waterless window cleaning system?

Where are you??? We down here in the South might need you soon!  ;)

Ian_Giles

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2006, 11:02:58 pm »
my Brother in law is a farmer, we live on the edge of the farm, he had a water diviner come in 18 months or so ago.
This guy waggled his stick and told him if he drilled down 'X' amount of feet he would find a good water supply.
They brought in a rig a duly drilled, finding the water exactly where this guy said they would.
He now pumps a huge amount of water, feeds the entire farm (not the house though).
So if a ban should ever materalize I'll get one of the big R/O's and fill up from his supply.
They can turn of my water, but they can't turn of his ;D

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES