mark6765

leaflet drop
« on: February 02, 2006, 04:29:48 pm »
has anyone used a local newspaper to deliver leaflets in an area.
my local paper charges around £500 per10,000 deliverd to a postcode of your chioce. if 2 percent phoned up. it would be worth it.
does anyone know if this figure is realistic.
thanks for any reply.

Re: leaflet drop
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 05:42:26 pm »
my local paper charges around £500 per10,000 deliverd to a postcode of your chioce. if 2 percent phoned up. it would be worth it.
does anyone know if this figure is realistic.
thanks for any reply.

That equals to £5.00 for every hundred leaflets.  That's about the same as 'companies' (usually some old bloke) charge for delivering leaflets; so it's competitive I suppose.

I take it you're talking about one of those 'free papers' that everyone gets?

Personally, I'd go with the 'old bloke' who delivers flyers.  At least they'll not be buried in a newspaper.

A one-to-two percent success rate with flyers is possible.  So is zero-percent too.

And from the calls you will get, they'll be scattered all over the geographical area your leaflets went.  Not compact.

Am I sounding negative; sorry; have a go but don't get your hopes up.

I started from leaflets, and must've put around 10,000 of them out in a two-week solid bought of leafleting.

Canvassing would probably work better though.

mick hay

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 06:41:19 pm »
i used a "company". had 10,000 so far go out, got £1100 4 weekly business out of it! another 20,000 going out soon!

mark6765

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 06:48:41 pm »
im familier with canvasing. i know its a numbers game. so are leaflets.
but i just aint got the time to do it.
the local free paper say you can pick the postcode.
so if i pick the post codes of the areas i work allready. it would be productive for me
even at 1 percent 10.000 leaflets would turn up 100 customers in my area.at an average of £8.00 a customer thats £800 of work for an outlay of £500.
i wont buy rounds because mostly there being sold because there customers are underpriced. and i would have to convert them to wfp.
thanks for your reply tosh.

mark6765

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 06:53:33 pm »
thanks mick hay.

thats the kind of numbers im looking for.

what did you pay for your 10,000 drop

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 06:55:15 pm »
I never had the 'balls' to go canvassing when I first started as I didn't know my bottom from my elbow.

I'm after bigger-stuff now.  Large houses/commercial work; so will get my elbow out and do some canvassing when it starts warming up in the evening!

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 07:15:25 pm »
Marc,

I used to Manage the Advertising Department of a local daily Newspsper and a series of frees.  I assume you are thinking of insert into the frees ?

The thing to remember is that you will not be able to select your postcodes outside of their individual editions.  Say, they have 5 editions which come out in 5 towns.  You wont be able to select streets within each edition - you will get a blanket coverage of it all.  That gr8t if you are prepared to cover the whole area but, if like my experience it covers a geographical area that is large then it may be a problem if you only get a few call from area a distance apart.

With w/c its about small numbers unlike say Double Glazers who will travel a long distance because it could be worth £8K.

Personally, I would pay a schoolboy (16 yrs, of course !!!) to do it on a sat.  Give him a map with the streets you want doing highlighted.  Take him to the start point, pick him up at the end based on the timescales you calculate and tell him you will be checking  ;) 

Hope that helps and sorry for droning on !!!!

Sarah
Sarah

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 07:39:57 pm »
Hi Mark

I would think long and hard before doing through the local newspaper.

Your leaflet could be in with loads more. I did 10000 this way and got 13 replies
:(

You would do far better paying someone to put your leaflets through the door.
It wont cost you any more if you get the right person/people to put them through.

And Sarah is right yet again  :D

Cheers

Andrew

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 07:47:51 pm »
Thanks Andrew  ;D

Have you had an email from someone I gave your addy to a few days ago ?

Sarah
Sarah

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 07:59:47 pm »
Hi Sarah

To be honest I have no idea.

I am getting loads of emails every day about the system.

If you email me with the name or email addy I can find out.

You seem to be very well informed about marketing.

Fancy putting something together along the lines of "How to effectively market your window cleaning business" for those who need help with this?

Personallly I would like to try and help to dispel the understandable fears of those folks who have problems with this. Especially doorknocking.

Andrew

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2006, 08:07:10 pm »
I'll email you Andrew,

I'm really no expert in Marketing - just a good sound knowledge of what works in business.  Mainly because of my extensive sales background and the advertising industry.

Like you, I am always happy to give my opinions  and advice on marketing issues. 

Besides it would be an epic novelif I were to do it - I go on and on and on......

Sarah
Sarah

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2006, 08:10:29 pm »

Besides it would be an epic novelif I were to do it - I go on and on and on......

Sarah

OK Sarah I understand. Now why does this quote remind me of the Mrs? ... All blessings be upon her (Just in case she reads this)  :-[  :-[

Andrew

mick hay

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2006, 08:55:33 pm »
hi mark, i pay £22.50 + vat per 1,000 and thats shared with 2 other leaflets! with the company i use i can actually tell them what streets i want and those i want them to stay clear of. that £1100 doesnt include the 1 off cleans i got either, bout another £300 extra for the 1 off cleans i got too!!   also mark i deffo wouldnt use a paper to deliver them, £500 seems over the top to me, have a look at leafleters in your area and choose which you think look the best.

wightsurf

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2006, 09:40:07 pm »
Hi , I went put flyers self made put about 150 covering streets i liked the look of and got 2 customers from it,Did'nt take long about 1 or 2hrs with driving about.
I think if i spent a whole week doing this i and a bit of door to door sales i would have more than what i need.

Hope this helps

Martin

Ps, i think door to door would be best with flyers put in the doors when there not in.

stephen d

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2006, 08:41:58 pm »
there is a new freebie just started in my area and they are charging me £16/1000 plus vat .this sort of leaflet drop does have limited sucess.it is much better if you go knocking and people see you face to face.i also put a price on the leaflets when i go leafleting myself .therefore if no one is in at least they know the cost  and that way i get very few time wasters.