steve k

feeling guilty...NOT!
« on: February 01, 2006, 09:33:57 pm »
I carded a street yesterday by my bank..the windows looked pretty mucky.
Within an hour, I had 4 customers confirmed...
While I was in the pricing mode on the phone to them (I know the houses in this road so no need to visit) I thought:
"I`ll go pretty high and see how I get on"

These are big, terraced with double bays (1 on bottom and 1 on top)
but standard windows to rear.
I only carded Upvc windows and quoted £15.00 every 4 weeks for whole house and £8.00 for front only.
3 want the whole house done and accepted the £15.00
1 wanted just the front done for £8.00 but grumbled a bit about being a pensioner and said "the last one charged £3.00 for the front...!!"
She accepted though, when I said:
"well, you have my card, give me a call if you need them doing"
" No, I`ll have them done but we don`t have much money you know"
I felt really guilty and was going to reduce their charge on Friday when I go to clean.

ANYWAY...tonight, I had a call from another potential customer in the same street...blah, blah, blah..."how much?"

"well I might be a little bit more expensive than your last window cleaner, your neighbour tells me they only paid £3.00 for the front...well I charge £8.00 for the front and £15.00 for whole house"

"I don`t know who told you that, but 15 years ago, I was paying £5.00 for the front plus £5.00 for the back when I was in...so £15.00 is fine thank you...when can you start?"

Believe me, it`s a great price for the job but I can`t help thinking now that the pensioner was trying it on...no discount for them now!! ;)

H h20

Re: feeling guilty...NOT!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 09:46:31 pm »
Nice one Steve,if you can getaway with it why not,and i recon once you`ve done the first clean they will be more than happy to pay it,
by the way how`s the trolley coming on?,Gaz

steve k

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 09:54:44 pm »
I think the paint has dried...last time I looked...!! ;D

sunshine windows

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 03:46:47 pm »
nothing wrong with those prices steve.

standard rate for them is £13 all or £8 front.

I always tell them i'm not cheap but am sure they'll be pleased with my work. Haven't had a customer cancel yet so must be doing something right.

Sunshine
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

rosskesava

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 08:23:22 pm »
I've got used to the 'I can't afford it' response. I'm always polite but business is business.

A lady who runs a health place (they do the pipe thing up the backside and all that stuff) got quite shirty at the price - £30 a go. Her last w/c charged £12. The windows were filthy which means she couldn't find a w/c which puts the price up as it's supply and demand.

When I asked her how much if my wife wants a facia, she said £28.50. I said to much and I want to pay £9.50.

She got my point.

With regards pensioners and this may sound hard, unless they are well off or rich, we won't even give a price.

mark dew

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 12:20:12 am »
I've got used to the 'I can't afford it' response. I'm always polite but business is business.

Exactly.
We don't force anyone to pay our prices. We just give a quote and the ball is in their court.
The best cure for a guilt free quote is do underpriced work.

steve k

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 04:08:35 am »
ah...what a wonderful morning ;D ;D

turned up yesterday...the "pensioners" had to move their sparkling Mercedes for me!!

As I`m cleaning, I heard the clanking of ladders...as you do, I turned around to doff my cap at one of the brethren and watched as Joe Bloggs climbed up a paint spattered ladder carrying a MILK CRATE!!
He got onto the bay , stood on the crate and started cleaning... ;D

Then I notice he is at number 12..hang on, thats one of my new ones booked in for a first clean today ???

Over I go and ask him if I have got my wires crossed.

"I used to do these 12 months ago...just came back today"

I let him get on with it and phoned the woman last night.
She said she feels an obligation to give him a chance but will call me if he lets her down again.
Might have something to do with him only charging £6 for the house where I charge £15.00
GET THIS THOUGH...he does them EVERY WEEK!!

gaza

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006, 10:18:15 pm »
STEVE he must do a bad job if hes got to return 4 times in a month ;D you must do them right 1st time ;D

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

pjulk

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 10:31:17 pm »
GET THIS THOUGH...he does them EVERY WEEK!!

At least it would not take long to get a full work load.

Paul

Londoner

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2006, 07:40:18 am »
Thats probably why he does them every week, he only has those few customers