farkam

Work down...
« on: January 31, 2006, 08:35:06 pm »
Hi people,

Do you guys feel drop in the work during the winter, cold days? such as customers saying not this month, may be on summer, or even loosing customer... :'(
How do you cope with this? just wait until cold days gone?  :-\

What percentage of work do you usually loose during winter? may be you take some off days, just working part time ??? 
thanks

pjulk

Re: Work down...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 08:39:55 pm »
I take it you are thinking of starting

I don't have problem with work dropping i am busier during the winter months.

Regarding people who say not this month unless there is a good reason i drop them from my list.

As for the cold days if you want to be a serious window cleaner its something you have to put up with and its not to bad we don't often get weather cold enough to stop us

Paul

herbiefatboy

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 08:44:44 pm »
do people also find they do not get so many enquiry i.e new calls during the cold months.
back to the question i only have 3 customers cancel during winter  so it is not to bad.

jeff evans

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 08:46:01 pm »
Hi farkem,

No very rarely get anyone asking me to leave them this
time, if i get a customer that does this more than twice
without good reason i just stop cleaning their windows.

Once they know that they can send you away; they will
take advantage of it, also it can spread to other clients
if they tell them that they they only have their windows
done when they say so.

cheers jeff.

craig jwc

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 08:49:53 pm »
As for the cold days if you want to be a serious window cleaner its something you have to put up with and its not to bad we don't often get weather cold enough to stop us

As Paul said above.

I've pick another 3 jobs up in the last 2 days and 1 customer wants her windows cleaned more often.

I just get on with it and don't notice the cold as you keep warm whilst you are working.
If you keep stopping then you will get cold and this is what puts you off.

I work in the rain and haven't lost a customer yet.
The only time i won't work is if it is absolutely p***ing down or if there's thunder and lightening about.

Craig 8)

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 08:50:37 pm »
I have picked up 3 commercial jobs and 12 domestic since new year.

A total of £6000 a year

and only had 1 cancel which was £54 a year .

So projected turnover is up by £5946

Not bad hey

craig jwc

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 08:57:28 pm »
Nice one Dave ;)

Wish i could pick up that amount in a month :'(

sunshine windows

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 09:02:46 pm »
I wish i could pick up that amount in a year  :D

Got any spare jobs going begging dave  ;)
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 09:13:36 pm »
All the work came to me .i did not tout for any at all and i am still waiting on an hotel i priced last week which will be £4800 if i get it.

I always turned down new work ,but i have got employees now so i take everything at the moment.

Dave

jeff evans

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 09:14:29 pm »
Craig,

It must be the cat putting potential customers off'
you will have to start leaving pi** head at home  ;D ;D

jeff.

craig jwc

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 09:21:25 pm »
I'll have too otherwise i won't be able to keep him in beer money ;D ;D

farkam

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 09:28:30 pm »
I have picked up 3 commercial jobs and 12 domestic since new year.
A total of £6000 a year
and only had 1 cancel which was £54 a year .
So projected turnover is up by £5946
Not bad hey

cooooool ;)

i need to quickly replace my previous cust with new ones...
by the way, what is the best way to get commercial job? do you talk with the person in charge in that building? i have no idea about this stuff, i wish i could get some commercial as well  ;D
thanks in advance mate

farkam

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 09:32:19 pm »
Hi farkem,

No very rarely get anyone asking me to leave them this
time, if i get a customer that does this more than twice
without good reason i just stop cleaning their windows.
Once they know that they can send you away; they will
take advantage of it, also it can spread to other clients
if they tell them that they they only have their windows
done when they say so.
cheers jeff.

cheers mate, i should do this, on the other hand, i feel bad when loosing customer, i know i mst not get myself down with this, anyway we can always get replacement... :-\

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 09:32:45 pm »
Sorry i dont have a clue they have all approached me .
But i have been established for 8 years and i know from experience it is difficult to get commercial.

I would go for domestic and if you get commercial it is a bonus.

s.hughes

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006, 09:32:50 pm »
Dave. Theres us feeling sorry for you over that new complex being built.
Good on ya

Steve

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2006, 09:34:07 pm »
oh yes forgot about that one thats another lost So £96 off that total per year.

Dave

s.hughes

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2006, 09:50:28 pm »
Sorry Dave didnt want to remind you of that smaller one, I was thinking not so much about the loss of it but the loss of the work that would come from it. If that makes sense.
You've done alright for yourself since then.

Steve

rosskesava

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2006, 10:05:22 pm »
I've always found winter is a great time for picking up new work. A lot of those who decide to window clean for a living pack up in the winter for obvious reasons.

Since January 4th, we've got 4 new commercial jobs - one of which is worth a lot of money ££££££'s.  ;D  ;D  ;D

I don't know about resindentual work as this year we're not taking on anymore work but in previous years we've done well for new work upto about April.

The problem for us at this time of year is actually doing the work. Last Thursday we all got so cold we packed up at about 2pm. We were working along the coast at the back of a large building where the wind howls around the place and we all reached a point of being drained from being cold all day.

It's also quite hard sometimes to predict just how much work can get done because of the influence of the weather so I'm never quite sure just how much to arrange for the next day.

s.hughes

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2006, 10:09:56 pm »
Hi Ross
I assume the large commercial job you got was the £2000 a month contract you was talking about a little while ago. Can you let us know how you have managed to get the commercial work. Is it by door knocking or letter/ leaflet drops?

Cheers
Steve

rosskesava

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2006, 10:28:34 pm »
Hi Steve

If I posted £2000 a month I was wrong and I don't know why I would have posted that. Per year it's worth £9 000 - £11 000.

Part of how we got the job was by reputation. We do some real prestigious places and some are under priced but they constantly lead to more work. Also we drive around in a hearse and living where I do 'extreme' or 'OTT' is a wanted thing and the caretaker (yes - the caretaker) of the building had seen our vehicle all around the place.

The managing agents asked for 3 quotes and ours was the most expensive.

What they liked about us was we spent 3 hours going around the whole building looking at everything. I then asked for a meeting with the 'big boss' and piled him with questions - some of which he had never even considered. I phrased all that I asked in terms of how he wanted the place to end up. i.e. As a real top class place that is somewhere where quality and style matter. On top of that I made sure he realised that I paid attention to the smallest of details.

The other 2 quotes came from very large companies. All very impersonnal and done without any real interest with regards the aims and ambitions of the managing agents. One of those companies didn't even ask about what the agents for the building expected.

Also, I made it my job to know the whole history of the building, which is grade 1 listed, who designed and built it, some of those who'd lived there in the past and all about the current rebuilding etc.

And... I'm not a yes sir, no sir 3 bags full person and as a business, we want the work but we don't need it and I made a point of saying that it was a building where I'd enjoy keeping the whole place up to a good standard as everyone else seemed equally committed.

That's it. Nothing much really but it always produces results.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2006, 10:39:01 pm »
well Steve you asked .

He bored the bloke into submission

;D

rosskesava

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2006, 10:43:55 pm »
Got the job though didn't I?

;D

s.hughes

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2006, 11:04:30 pm »
Ross if you didnt get the job would he have ended up in the back of the Hearse?

Steve

rosskesava

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2006, 11:23:23 pm »
Nope.

I would have. The other two I work with would have seen to that.

Morph

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2006, 11:25:07 pm »
Ross
This is a window cleaning forum.  Sounds like you were discussing death and burial! 8)

texas girl

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2006, 01:42:43 am »
Farkam,

Hang in there if you have just started window cleaning. It does take time to become established.

In the beginning I used to take it personal when I lost even the smallest accounts for any reason.  Then I learned that it is just business; you pick up many more than you will lose.

I would make it clear when the agreement is madewith a client to be on a cleaning schedule that there is a fuel  charge of a certain amount if you make the trip to clean and the cleaning is cancelled.

It is your business; you are in charge  but I know what you mean when you first start out. You feel you need each and every job.l In time you will stay busy year 'round.

As far as picking up commercial; over here if you are out and about; have good exposure to the public and to businesses, and do some marketing(via visiting in person; leaving cards, pamphlets, advertising in phone books, etc), you are guaranteed success.

Just keep trying and on the really cold slow days do something fun or brainstorm about marketing your business. I have done some phone marketing in the beginning by calling to say"we are running a winter special, 20% off any cleaning this week", etc.

Put out lots of bait and you will for sure catch some fish.

I know; I have been doing this business over 20 years.

Hugs,

Texas Girl   :-* :-*
Debbie

farkam

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2006, 09:16:15 pm »
Farkam,

Hang in there if you have just started window cleaning. It does take time to become established.

In the beginning I used to take it personal when I lost even the smallest accounts for any reason.  Then I learned that it is just business; you pick up many more than you will lose.

I would make it clear when the agreement is madewith a client to be on a cleaning schedule that there is a fuel  charge of a certain amount if you make the trip to clean and the cleaning is cancelled.

It is your business; you are in charge  but I know what you mean when you first start out. You feel you need each and every job.l In time you will stay busy year 'round.

As far as picking up commercial; over here if you are out and about; have good exposure to the public and to businesses, and do some marketing(via visiting in person; leaving cards, pamphlets, advertising in phone books, etc), you are guaranteed success.

Just keep trying and on the really cold slow days do something fun or brainstorm about marketing your business. I have done some phone marketing in the beginning by calling to say"we are running a winter special, 20% off any cleaning this week", etc.

Put out lots of bait and you will for sure catch some fish.

I know; I have been doing this business over 20 years.
Hugs,
Texas Girl   :-* :-*

thanks a lot sweety Texas Girl  :-*
surely i will use your advise, many thanks  ;)