kerry butters

how can i get new customers?
« on: September 18, 2006, 10:51:20 pm »
hi everyone, ive been a window cleaner for about 3 years now, but ive always worked for someone else, he paid me about £50 a day, he has now retired and sold the round to someone else, so i decided to go it alone, ive got a few houses of his ex customers, but not enough to keep me going full time, got just about enough houses for 1 days work a month, how can i get more? and is it worth going back to the houses i did and undercutting the new wc as i know most of the customers anyway.

thanks.

Handy Andy

Re: how can i get new customers?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 11:40:29 pm »
Hi Kerry,

Why did you not buy the round from your old employer? Surely he would have let you work it till you could pay it of if you could not afford it?

I would suggest you post leaflets in local shops etc and of course the way most succeed is by cold calling ( door knocking! ) I would not suggest you should try and get the old customers back as you could start a war !! Good Luck.

Andy.

Trevor Knight

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 06:12:40 am »
Undercutting is a BIG NO NO!

Start door knocking and it will soon start coming in. Leaflets, adverts in shops, Free Listing in Yellow Pages/Thompson Local etc....

Good luck,

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

brett walker

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 09:39:31 am »
Hi Kerry,

In my opinion the best way to get work is to buy an established round that is compact, canvassing is good but in some areas there are just too many window cleaners and you end up picking up one here and there.
I would definately not under cut other window cleaners that is the golden rule of window cleaning  :)

best of luck

Brett

TVCS

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 08:28:48 pm »
With 3 years experience under your B.O.A.B you should have no problems getting work through word of mouth. 
Go door knocking close to where you used to clean.  People will recognise you as a w/c.  I wouldn't bother trying to undercut anyone,  you never know, your old customers might prefer you and ditch the new guy anyway.  Put out a load of flyers and a few ads in local shops or maybe the local newspaper. 
If I were you I would have been gutted at not getting the round from your boss when he retired.
Anyway, just my thoughts.  Good luck.
Ant
TVCS
Veni, vidi, vino, splatus.

(I came, I saw, I drank, I fell over...)

will318

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 10:17:21 pm »
In the meantime, look for other window cleaners in the area and offer to work for them until you get established. You never know they might sell you soem of their work.