all clean and pristine

Why so little response
« on: January 02, 2013, 04:27:04 pm »
Guys/ girls

As the Title says really.This is not meant to insult or provoke,just a observation we are here to help each other and share thoughts information etc or so I thought,
But the response generally ,if a question is asked is pretty poor i would say if you look at the readers/responses ratios. For example I was posing a question about prices of Domestic Cleans ( 73 views and 1 reply ) come on peeps its not like I am asking your turnover/profit/ bank balance.
Could we not start 2013 and all spend a little time helping each other,or is it just me.
As I said tho not meant to offend anyone ;)

trees

Re: Why so little response
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 05:13:47 pm »
when it comes to prices people are quite reluctant to give advice as it may well give an indication to other competitors on how much they charge in their area and potentially lose them business

all clean and pristine

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 06:15:40 pm »
when it comes to prices people are quite reluctant to give advice as it may well give an indication to other competitors on how much they charge in their area and potentially lose them business

Thanks for your Reply mate

BDCS

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 06:48:01 pm »
when I do reply I get called "numpty" - its a good job I'm thick skinned

Mike Halliday

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 07:38:27 pm »
not everyone knows the answer or feels they have any thing positive to contribute.

also people will read the question & answers many times so 80 views could have been done by 30 individuals
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

BDCS

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 09:08:56 pm »
Mike it has been quiet on here recently - since you split the contract and hard flooring off.

The Great One

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 09:02:54 am »
I don't come on the general cleaning thread much anymore as it is predominately a pressure washing section now, maybe it's time for admin to get the pressure washers their own section?

Martin 8)

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 09:51:00 am »
I don't come on the general cleaning thread much anymore as it is predominately a pressure washing section now, maybe it's time for admin to get the pressure washers their own section?

Martin 8)

Would make sense ... not sure why they created a hard floor section ?? Kevin  ;D ;D

BDCS

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 05:58:58 pm »
Creating too many sub forums would make it all just too quiet and interest would wain further. There is also no shared imformation between trades - why do they consider gutter clearance to be a part of window cleaning for instance

Katy Radcliffe

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 06:14:55 pm »
I know another forum where domestic cleaners are made to feel more welcome and it's a bit busier in that category.

There seems to be a general attitude that if you don't have expensive machines, you're not a real cleaner. Or, if you clean domestic instead of taking on massive industrial/commercial contracts, you're just some silly woman with a duster and a mop.

Rob_Mac

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 06:43:50 pm »
I would be interested to know where that perspective comes from because I have never seen it. Everyone has to start somewhere and as you have recently shown - the large expensive machine is not required.

I have some very expensive kit but it is relative, if I could clean with cheaper machines and get the confidence that they wouldn't let me down I would.

Ignore any willy waving, get your head down and do what you need to do. My recent comment to yourself was genuine and I admire anyone who has the right attitude.

There is plenty of 'I am the greatest' on here - it isn't anything new, listen to the people who you connect with, who you can use as role models and who will offer unbiased responses.

Some of what you take as genuine on here will be a load of rubbish and those people aren't doing half of what they claim, just sieve through it.

The forum will always need positive people but it also attracts all the rest of the spectrum.

You are no less relevant than anyone else on here!!

Good luck

Rob ;D

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 07:02:01 pm »
I know another forum where domestic cleaners are made to feel more welcome and it's a bit busier in that category.

There seems to be a general attitude that if you don't have expensive machines, you're not a real cleaner. Or, if you clean domestic instead of taking on massive industrial/commercial contracts, you're just some silly woman with a duster and a mop.

Stop being a silly woman  ;D no really that was a joke please dont take it seriously ... my sense of humour  :P
I have said it before we are all cleaners full stop, it doesnt matter what you do or use ... this statement caused an uproar in the carpet cleaning section ...  We cover all markets and used to offer daily domestic cleaning, due to the ongoing 'headaches' , we decided to move out of this market. Hence I have the upmost respect for anyone offering this service

Katy Radcliffe

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 07:56:53 pm »
Even on that other forum, there are scores of lurkers for every active poster. I think people are more interested in reading than posting.

I think it's unfair of me to say that it's something to do with this forum, specifically. I think that domestic cleaning is not taken seriously in the UK, in general. It's generally done by "cleaning ladies" for relatively low prices. In the US, they're charging $25-$45 per man hour, and this is for very large houses, so often billing for 4 or more hours weekly. The whole industry is just much more serious.

Rob_Mac

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 08:14:32 pm »
When I can remember my log in I am a member on an American pressure washing forum. They really know how to take pressure washing seriously.

I started out with a £20.00 set of secondhand & domestic ladders doing a job that has no reputation, everyone respects  firemen, doctors, accountants etc but no one respects the window cleaner.

I loved it because most peoples view of what I did was that it was lowly and not important and a job for low lives who couldn't do anything else.

I offered a professional, reliable & capable service to every customer - I stood out and built a great domestic window cleaning business, with a six figure turnover per year, looking after 700 residential customers and lots and lots of commercial premises.

Just a window cleaner.

I love it - fly below the general perception but do it so well that your business will just explode.

Others peoples opinion of what I do is not important as long as it gets me the things in life that I want and from where I started, to where I am now is a million miles apart and I have just about all of the things in life I could ever want.

I am now just a pressure washer and I am happy that is how most people view it - if they knew what it paid me and the things that it gives me, a lot more would be doing it!!!!!

Good luck

Rob ;D

Matt Gibson

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 09:06:53 pm »

Others peoples opinion of what I do is not important

Rob ;D

Spot on Rob..

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 12:46:06 pm »
Even on that other forum, there are scores of lurkers for every active poster. I think people are more interested in reading than posting.

Lurkers everywhere .... so be carefull  :P All members should be made to contribute.

Katy do you mind sending me a e mail ref the other forum, dont post it on here as it might not be appreciated !

Matt Gibson

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 04:52:38 pm »
*lurklurklurk*

BDCS

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 10:48:19 pm »
What are the other forums ? Thanks

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 11:24:38 am »
What are the other forums ? Thanks

Not you as well  ;D ;D

Matt Gibson

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 02:38:24 pm »
Just put it up for all to see.. i need new lurking grounds..

Katy Radcliffe

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 03:06:16 pm »
Well, if the mods here don't mind....

http://anotherforum/theforum/index.php#c2

Matt Gibson

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 03:25:58 pm »
 ;D

BDCS

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 04:13:24 pm »
obviously they do

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 04:19:26 pm »
Can you have a word with adm .. that links not working  :P

nice-n-white.co.uk

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 08:17:32 pm »
You can charge as little as yur happy to work for or as much,remember too little and your doing a lot of work for very little,too much and your scaring off work.I worked it out you will.Good luck.
Craig Slight from nice-n-white will help you out,if not, know a man who can.

Roger Oakley

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 08:26:16 pm »

It won't not allowed on here  ;) but seen you have joined the other forum.

Rob_Mac

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 08:44:18 pm »
Roger

Thanks for the nod on the work the other day. Never came to anything but cheers anyway.

Rob ;D

Roger Oakley

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 08:46:59 pm »
Roger

Thanks for the nod on the work the other day. Never came to anything but cheers anyway.

Rob ;D

No problem, was that the blockbright thing? Morrisions ?

Rob_Mac

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 08:53:07 pm »
Yes that was the one, spoke to Mark and he gave them my number but I couldn't get there till the Monday.

It was only 4000sqm - we could have finished it on time for them (would have been done in two days)

I don't know who they used but it wasn't me, A shame really as I have a guy going down to Rustington Sainsbury's tomorrow, finishing off some work we started last week.

The Sainsbury's is being refurbed because of the Morrisons going up

Rob ;D

Roger Oakley

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 09:05:48 pm »
Yes that was the one, spoke to Mark and he gave them my number but I couldn't get there till the Monday.

It was only 4000sqm - we could have finished it on time for them (would have been done in two days)

I don't know who they used but it wasn't me, A shame really as I have a guy going down to Rustington Sainsbury's tomorrow, finishing off some work we started last week.

Rob ;D

I don't know who they used either, Mark is a good bloke so if you have anything over the Essex way, might be worth bearing him in mind as he has the kit as well.

Busy your end? One more to do this week, then some test pieces on some furniture for a golf club down this way to be ready for Tuesday.

Rob_Mac

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2013, 09:12:44 pm »
I'm getting a lot of enquiries - always quiet for us January. had a really strange one today. Smallest job I have ever had. Not going to say too much on here because it could turn out to be a nice little earner. Let me get the job out of the way tomorrow and I will give you a call.

You couldn't guess this job but if I tell you it is no more than 20cm2 - just to keep you interested.

Rob ;D

Roger Oakley

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2013, 09:20:17 pm »
I'm getting a lot of enquiries - always quiet for us January. had a really strange one today. Smallest job I have ever had. Not going to say too much on here because it could turn out to be a nice little earner. Let me get the job out of the way tomorrow and I will give you a call.

You couldn't guess this job but if I tell you it is no more than 20cm2 - just to keep you interested.

Rob ;D

Okay I should be home around mid-day just a small job myself tomorrow no frozen taps permitting.

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2013, 10:30:23 pm »
Ah that came from you Roger ... Power C ... 

Blast Away

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2013, 10:43:56 pm »

Rob ;D

Only 4000? 'kinhell Rob! 2 days? Is that just rinsing them or many men giving a proper clean with surface cleaners too?

Rob_Mac

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2013, 10:47:29 pm »
That would have been three men full clean, could probably do that with two men, 500 per man over two days - ten hour days.

Modified - those figures don't add up - 500 is a normal day, can easily step up to the thousand per man if needed!

That H & M and Thor are brutal!!!

Cold in St Austell Lee??!!!

Rob ;D

Rob_Mac

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2013, 10:49:42 pm »
We did that 18000 sqm in five days with six men

Rob ;D

Blast Away

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2013, 11:03:31 pm »
It's been a bit chilly but nothing like up north.

You must struggle for water at some jobs?

Rob_Mac

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2013, 11:08:37 pm »
It's the bane of my life Lee.

I can empty my tank in 45 minutes - just under 1500 litres and the Thor will empty its tank in half an hour.

A large part of my costs is paying for hydrants - the work is so visible that we always get curtain twitching.

If I  only filled up a couple of times a day I would chance it but if I turned up outside your house, with two vans every half hour and hour you would notice it, especially if it went on for a week or two!!

Rob ;D

Roger Oakley

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2013, 07:11:33 am »
Ah that came from you Roger ... Power C ... 

Yes I gave him a few numbers that might be able to do it in the time scale etc

BDCS

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2013, 09:19:26 am »
Will someone e mail or text me the other one please

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2013, 10:38:37 am »

It won't not allowed on here  ;) but seen you have joined the other forum.

Roger, Roger I dont believe it ! hilarious - ps you owe me a new keyboard  ;D just spat coffee everywhere  ;D ;D

Roger Oakley

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2013, 11:45:22 am »
LOL see you on the other side  ;D

Carl you should have email

Matt Gibson

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2013, 11:48:05 am »
Yeah im with BDCS...this place needs a PM system... whats the other forum? email or text..

Roger Oakley

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2013, 12:05:14 pm »
Email me Matt & I'll send you details