CSCS

builders query
« on: August 10, 2006, 07:08:40 am »
Hi just started doing builders cleans, and at the moment feel a bit in the dark. I know you don't want to give trade secrets away but any tips on removal of plaster and paint off upvc and door handles ( gloss paint on polished steel).

I seem to be taking ages at mo. Thanks claire.

martin19842

Re: builders query
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 07:39:06 am »
hi there

soapy water and microfibre clothes do a very good job

regards

martin

paul_daly

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 07:22:14 pm »
Claire - Plaster is easy, just wet with plenty of water and it will just disolve away, emulsion paint - the same method apply's though you may need to use a (worn) sponge scourer, gloss paint, egg shell is a different beast  - use thinners / or solvent !

Regards

Daly cleanz

Neil Mc Anulty

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 12:49:20 pm »
Hi Martin
What would you remove gloss with. Soapy water and a microfibre cloth.
Does this work?

Cheers
Neil

martin19842

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 04:14:46 pm »
hi there

gloss- white spirit,

all depends what  its on!!

glass-- a very sharp blade

regards

martin

Paul Redden Countryfresh

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 09:00:18 pm »
Get yourself a hand held steamer blasts out plaster in awkward area's...ashbys do them £99 plus vat

Be very careful when scraping windows as a blunt blade with grit will scratch glass.
Also if there are cement blobs on glass they will etch into glass meaning replacement.

Cheers paul
"So basically its a big vax!"

excel1

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 08:38:56 pm »
There is a solvent called type 10, Wurth is one manufacterer but thee are others, clean all upvc and gets of gloss paint of nearly every thing

fitz2kleen

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 06:44:50 pm »
Builders cleans are pretty simple although that depends on wether they know ur comming in after them , builders r like coucil workers and rarley clean up after themselfs if they can get away with it.
plaster as has already been said, warm water as its relativley fresh and usually just falls off.
I usually use nappys to clean down and a micro cloth to buff after,
on windows I wet wipe them over then run a blade over the window removing the remnants before buffing with a clean micro cloth
Regards Marc

Ian Rochester

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 06:53:36 pm »
In our builders clean packs we always have a kettle as we've found on many occasions when you get there the hot water supplies still aren't connected.

There's nothing rocket science about doing builders cleans, you just have to be very particular specifically the removal of plaster and paint from windows, frames, doors, floors and any other surface where it's been splashed.  Get yourself some 1.5" window cleaning scrapers and a box of spare blades and you're halfway there.