woodman

Disaster avoided, Just!
« on: November 04, 2004, 02:46:23 pm »
Had a close call this week but disaster was avoided by my  camera phone of all things  :-\

Background is; lady I know asked If I could clean a suite for a friend of hers at short notice as servicemaster had let her down and it had to be done this week etc etc.

So off I went on a recommendation had not seen the upholstery prior to cleaning but felt comfortable as the lady is a good friend of one of my customers.

Got there and as she opened the door and I went in, she dashed off and left me to it money on the side, lovely jubbly.

I think some of you will know where I am going here by now, I inspect the sofa good conditon but needs a clean, inspect the base two splits in fabric at either end in the same place (if you know what I mean).One cushion cover zip broken exposing filler other wise all ok.

I proceed with vacuuming but somethings niggling away at me.So I stop get my camera phone out and snap away at both the broken zip and the split fabric.Date and time now logged.Then proceed with pretty normal cleaning,take my money and go. ;)

Next day, you've guessed it lady's on the phone ranting you shrunk :o my fabric and its split and I have a broken zip.I let her bleat on and then explain calmly that it was already in that condition,to which she shoots straight back with "are you calling me a liar". At this point it was tempting to let rip but instead again I calmly say that I have time and date logged photographic evidence that it was already there because as is normal in this situation I always do a pre-inspection and note and photograph any problem areas. ( This is not strictly true but it had to be said)

I then offered to call round with this evidence which would show by the time that I had not started the cleaning yet when I noticed the damage and photographed it.Silence on the end of the phone, then apology must not have noticed it before, ::) and of course would I quote for the carpets in a months time.Of course I will :)

Now, it might be genuine but as we all know had I not taken the pictures I would almost certainly of paying for a new suite and my credibility with my existing customer would have been shot. Also it saved the blushes of my customer as she would no doubt of been embarassed for recommending me to her friend in the first place.

Lesson learnt and one that others might want to take on board

Thank you Nokia ;D

Mark Roberts

Re: Disaster avoided, Just!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 03:07:45 pm »
Great things camara phones I would'nt be without one. A pre inspection report can be worth its its weight in gold to you and your insurance. Back this this up with a couple photo's and your onto a winner. Well done Mr Woodman no excess to pay ! :D

Mark.

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 03:14:45 pm »
Great message

Just goes to show how important it is to be vigilant, and that most of us probably have the tools with us now as most phone seem to have built in cameras.

Nice one

Best regards nick

Glynn

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 04:34:28 pm »
I always carry a digital camera you should too as should all of us.
I once went to clean a suite, regular customer, but she had just been given this suite, looked like it belonged on the local tip ! (this is befofe the days of camera phones etc)
I cleaned the first chair, cleaned second chair, started on settee, and I noticed her doing something to a chair, I stood and watched her scratch a hole into one of the woven in flower patterns then turn round to me and said youv'e made a hole in this chair !! I said "I just watched YOU do that !" she wouldn't have any of it. So I got on the phone to our office (wife) and got her down immediatly, customers says "Oh what you going to do ?" I said we will now take photographs of the suite from every angle etc etc.
She submitted.. However out of my usual good character I had the damage darned up .
You never know do you ?

Glynn
Regards
Glynn

Dave_Lee

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 07:04:52 pm »
I had one two years ago, cotton suite, cleaned up lovely but had an abrasion tear aaround the inner arm/top of seat cushion area on one chair. I thought they must be aware of it, so didnt bother to mention it - wrong got a call next day about it. So, off I went and told them it was already there - after some deliberation they decided that I wouldnt lie - well I wouldnt, and apologised for calling me back. Since then I tell them about every fault I find and like others carry a camera especially for those jobs where the owner is absent.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Len Gribble

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 07:23:39 pm »
Good post Woodman sees you’ve been in the ff game. ;D

Been there and have had tried on me, just one bit of advise make sure the batteries are in good condition, as they can let you down very quickly! :(

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)